Help

First he went on Abilify at 6 then about 8 switched to Risperdal. He had tics so he can't take traditional stimulants. That is why he takes guanfacine. He takes Prozac for depression. Strattera for ADHD. His psychiatrist dr just saw him last week.

InsaneCdn

He needs a new psychiatrist. This one isn't accomplishing anything.
Six years on risperidal???
The Prozac can be making things worse if he is bi-polar. But of course, they don't want to give him "that label".

Start a journal. Document every single thing, every single day. The good, the bad, the ugly. Take pictures or voice recordings. Document, document, document. Doctors won't believe what you say at an appointment (sorry, just the way it is) without direct evidence.

Is he of generally normal intelligence? or is that impaired as well?

Lower iq upper 60s. But he seems higher then that. Memorizes what he likes. I will try to document. It is so much! His psychiatrist really spends time with him like an hour. She calls and emails me. But doesn't seem to get the severity of things at home. Suggests cbt therapy. But I never see any improvements.

AppleCori

Good Morning, Michele.

Yes, document. Very good idea.

Also, talk to your girls. Ask them to tell you what bothers them the most about their home lives, as it pertains to their brother. They need to be heard, it their own words, by the professionals. Write down what they tell you. They are just as important as your son is, and the people that work with your son need to know how this affects your other minor children, whether they want to or not.

InsaneCdn

Lower iq upper 60s. But he seems higher then that
Not unusual for our kids to have uneven IQ profiles. But having lower IQ does complicate everything. He may not be able to grasp the process involved.

His psychiatrist really spends time with him like an hour. She calls and emails me
Are you there with him at the appointment? if so, what is the reason for other calls and emails?

But doesn't seem to get the severity of things at home.
That's why we document.

Suggests cbt therapy
For a working-iq of 60 range? Really?

But I never see any improvements.
So all sorts of things are being tossed around, lots of services being used up, and nothing is happening.

Nothing changes if nothing changes. Something has to change. Given his age, his IQ, his diagnoses, and his behavior... he is better managed in a group home. Not foster care. A home with 24/7 monitoring, trained staff, and the kinds of routines and interventions that work with these kids (and that are next to impossible to replicate even if you are dealing with an "only" child)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
With an IQ of 60, types of therapy that require intense work on the part of the patient just aren't going to work. I'm sorry.

I agree with IC, that a group home or other form of institutional management is what would be best for your son. AND, it would be safest for both him and others.

Please, please, think of your other children in this, and get them into counselling as well.

How do you go about the process? The local daughter was involved but dropped us a couple years back. Do I call them and request services again?

InsaneCdn

I'm not in the States, so this is just theory but... there are non-profit organizations that support people and families dealing with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and Asperger's. They should be able to point you in the right direction and support you in getting there.

InsaneCdn

To me, that's not a bad thing.

We had one evaluator who caught test results that were not consistent with diagnoses given - and then intensively tested in those areas. As he ages, problems tend to grow and become more obvious.

You need people who can back you in getting him OUT and into full time care - for his good, your good, and the good of your daughters.

Today he came home and started cussing at me. It is time for his medications. So he took them. But he kept talking inappropriate. So I took his quarters from the jar everytime he did. He kept getting madder and coming at me. He even rubbed the jar on his butt. Then I took his phone. Then he started attacking me. He grabbed a bat. He was following me around and cussing and trying to hit me. I walked away. He locked me out. Then awhile later he opened the door. His medications must have kicked in because he was acting fine. I kept his phone and game system .

pigless in VA

Michele,

Big squeezy warm hugs for what you endured last night. You are an amazing parent and really under the gun with your son. I agree that with what was happening, you should have called the police. I know that it's really hard to do that when the situation with your loved one is unfurling.

What it all boils down to is that we have a right to be safe in our own homes. Your son is violating that right for you and the girls. Whatever his issues may be, he must learn to respect the safety boundaries. I know you are exhausted from dealing with him all the time. I hope we will be able to strengthen your resolve, give you some new ideas to try, and offer you much needed understanding.

I am so proud of you for giving him consequences for his actions in spite how scary his behavior was. I think GoingNorth has a valid point. His behavior is unacceptable. He's older and stronger and you need outside help to get him to function appropriately. I'll look later today to see if there is a thread about getting an out of control child into an Residential Treatment Center (RTC).