My cat Stella has hyperthyroidism and we can't get help.

Copabanana

Thank you so grateful to have you in my corner. Each and every one of you. And that swerve into kidney disease interventions, I will need too

So grateful.

She just vomited. A lot of yellow water. So it seems she just took a longer time for the tumor to reassure itself.

Lil

Stella was accepted!!!! We go tomorrow. I am over the moon. She doesn't have to suffer. Nor do I. Accept I am anxious and I will miss her.

I'm so glad Copa! Especially since she's just now showing symptoms. She'll have hardly any time at all with discomfort this way. I'm very happy for you and her.

Lil. I would think about stopping with the dry food at night. I read it is harmful. Not just because of the ash but because of the lack of water. I do not understand how it is that some kidney food is fry, though.

That is odd and I've never read that anywhere. We have a huge water bowl she shares with the dog so I don't see how a dry food would be bad when she can drink all she wants with it. But I'm certainly no expert. Still, she literally eats a few bites. That's why we don't give her the wet food at night - we mix it up and give it to her and she eats three or four bites and stops, leaves the rest and we end up throwing it away. The renal food is quite pricey...and it does actually require a vet's prescription.

Copabanana

Swot. M brought up out of the blue last week that we were going to bury her in the yard. He will make a coffin, he said. It is amazing how these things give us peace.

I am thanking God right now. I am grateful for her and for me.

What is it about me that I go down the tubes with these crises? It is like I lose myself. Am. Codependent with a cat too?

Lil. What prescription food are you using? Google the dry food. Youll see.

BusynMember

Royal Canin for kidney disease

I am very codependent on my animals and I dont care. They count on us and dont understand why they dont feel well. They give us unconditional love. Why should we not adore them?

Copabanana

Do you use the royal canin e? The pate? The internal medicine vet at uc Davis said this one was the best.

She likes it?

Thanks swot.

Copabanana

Onto new crises and dilemmas. Life never stands still if you are a worrier.

So m is refusing to follow the radiation. Guidelines for when she comes home. He says he will not traumatize her by keeping her out if his lap/the bed. He says she will die of a broken heart and will not understand. He says the risks are to younger people. Fertile people. Not to the old.

I read that the radiation risk to humans is no more than a transatlantic flight.

What did you do bbu?

Lil

We use the science diet prescription for kidney disease. Pate...because that's the only kind she'll eat. With the fillet type, she licks up the gravy and leaves all the meat.

Stupid cat.

So m is refusing to follow the radiation. Guidelines for when she comes home. He says he will not traumatize her by keeping her out if his lap/the bed. He says she will die of a broken heart and will not understand. He says the risks are to younger people. Fertile people. Not to the old.

Oh my! This may be the sweetest thing I've ever read. Surely she wouldn't be radioactive for long! Just a few days? I'm sure she wouldn't die of a broken heart that quick.

You'd think a man, especially, would want to keep a radioactive cat away from "places" in the lap!!!

But how incredibly sweet. I hope he's right and she's not dangerous to people.

BloodiedButUnbowed

Onto new crises and dilemmas. Life never stands still if you are a worrier.

I read that the radiation risk to humans is no more than a transatlantic flight.

What did you do bbu?

Poopy was kept in a separate bedroom. Mind you she was hospitalized for several days while her radiation level was too high for her to be in the home safely. While she was "quarantined" I did pet her and love on her and spend a lot of time with her. She did not sleep with me/us (had a now ex-partner at the time who was allergic) so that was not an issue in my case.

I had to wear rubber gloves to handle her litter for two weeks. As I recall, that was the extent of it. She was able to have the run of the house again after about the same amount of time.

I am confused. Is M saying that he will not agree to her receiving the treatment, or that he intends to ignore the vet's instructions to keep her isolated until she is no longer radioactive?

In any case, I think he's in the wrong here. There is a risk of exposure to radiation for a week or more after this treatment, and following the guidelines will not damage either the cat or frankly M. She will feel so much better after this is over. Poopy sure did. There were so many things that I did not attribute to this condition that turned out to be related, for example excessive grooming. Her tummy was pink because she groomed all her fur off! After the procedure her fur grew in. And it was beautiful. She was much calmer and seemed happier all the way around.

Please insist that the cat receive this treatment. And if M wants to take the risk of exposure to radiation I guess that is his choice, but in our case neither cat nor people were worse for wear after following the directions.

Copabanana

Thanks bbu and lil.

No. M is not balking about the procedure. He is onboard.

Just with the !!!State Mandated!!! Safety precautions. I mean. We risk being investigated as terrorists if we do not flush her litter.

I agree bbu. I will not let her in the bed. At least for a few days. He can sleep with her elsewhere.

I think he is consumed with guilt because for years he refused to let her in the bed. She and I had a period of extreme melancholia. And I believe it is this, he now laments.

He is making up for lost time. Or trying.

Thank you.

To be clear. She is going to the the clinic for the treatment. Yay.

Copabanana

She had it.

We are home. And wiped.

This is the latest installment. On cell. Brief.

This is m: it will kill her if she comes home and we don't let her sleep with us. She will die of a broken heart. I would have preferred she die with us. Untreated, and secure in our love for her. Investigate the risks to us. I'm old. I don't care about sterility.

So. The internet talks mainly in terms of giving orders, commands. You shall not let your cat closer than 3' for more than x number of hours a day. Etc.

But this is also true. Cats receive only 2 percent of the dosage humans get and there are no quarantine requirements for humans. Cats in my state are quarantined 3 Days.

Two historical facts. One. When I was young the risks to x-rays were not known. They were given routinely for everything.

And. I did not know this. It is posited that the majority of breast cancer risk to women in the last part of the 20th century was due to this.

___

We are permitted in the USA 620 milli rems of exposure to x-rays on an annual basis. Radiation workers are permitted 5000 milli rems.

A cat coming home emits .5 milli rems at 1' distance from thyroid per hour.

A chest x-ray gives 10 milli rems exposure.

I do not want cancer. But I agree with m. Thoughts??

Thank you people. I am so grateful to have you.

Last edited:

Lil

Well, unless you have lead-lined undies, I personally wouldn't let the cat sleep with me or sit on my lap for the next 3 days. No cat EVER died of a broken heart in 3 days, especially if you shower her with love and treats and what-not the rest of the time. It's not just the exposure - it's the length of time and proximity of the exposure as well. I'd gladly get an X-ray without the lead apron. I wouldn't get one every hour for 72 hours.

M might not care about sterility, but how does he feel about testicular cancer?

What if she had to be kenneled in the vet's office for 3 days? Would she die of a broken heart then? No. She'd be fine. I know you both love that cat...but honestly, there are reasons for the rules. If M insists on sleeping with the cat, I think I'd sleep in another room.

But that's me. Jabber and I don't let any of our pets EVER sleep in our bed.

OH! I almost forgot! I'm SO glad she got her treatment and is back home. Fingers crossed and prayers said for her little kitty body and soul.

Copabanana

She is not home, lil. She is in quarantine for 3 days at the facility. That is mandatory state law.

I agree with you. Reluctantly. Do I want a little atomic bomb radiating into me? No.

I will tell m he can make his own decision. But that for the first days home, I will (likely) not sleep with her.

Thanks people.

BloodiedButUnbowed

Hi there Copa.

So glad your Stella received her treatment!

While she will be just fine if you and M both follow the recommended guidelines, if M absolutely must sleep with her, that can be his decision.

I doubt it will negatively affect him in any case. Or you for that matter.

I did follow the guidelines and Poopy didn't seem too emotionally scarred when her period of "house arrest" was over.

Do use the rubber gloves to handle the soiled litter!