Name something your mom:) use to say

Nomad

Staff member
Anything your mom use to say regularly or often? Pearls of wisdom! Something funny?

My mom often said something like “you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar.”

And the proverbial “if everyone jumped Off a building would you do it too?” (There were various versions of this)

Happy Mother’s Day a little early. :) <3

KTMom91

Although my Nana knew all the bad words, she would scold us for saying them, and offer a more acceptable alternative.

The one that stuck with me is, "Don't say sh*&, say fart."

BusynMember

Besides calling me names, there were some funny stuff. Before you read the quotes, know that I was a big prude and did not dress provocatively. I dressed normal normal...in the middle...I did the style, but did not try to attract boys by flashing my girlie parts. I didn't even let boys touch my breasts until I was nineteen as I wanted to be a "good" girl. So here it goes.

"When you wear short skirts like that and you bend over to get a drink of water at the water fountain, you are giving the boys a free show."

"He won't buy the cow if the milk is free."

"When you wear such tight pants, everyone can see the crack in your behind."

"There are girls that boys use and others that they bring home to meet their parents."

No wonder I was the only virgin when I got married t hat I knew?????

Here's a gem and she said it a lot at least to me. "Girls don't have to be smart, they just have to be beautiful."

There are lot more, but most of them would insult people here. They didn't really do much for me either!!!! If I think of any other funny things, I will post them. Good topic!

Last edited:

ksm

Although my Nana knew all the bad words, she would scold us for saying them, and offer a more acceptable alternative.

The one that stuck with me is, "Don't say sh*&, say fart."

My mom said...
Don't say fart...say broke air.
Our grandkids mom said...don't say fart...say I fluffied!

Pink Elephant

I'll give you something to cry about.

Which was funny as my parents didn't believe in physical punishment.
My moms saying, after she gave us a spanking and we were crying, was... stop your crying or I'll give you something to really cry about.

While I did spank my children, I never used my moms old saying.

Pink Elephant

Another funny one my mom used to use was, "do that again and I'm going to land-base you"! LOL!

I'm not going to deny the fact that we didn't get good old-fashioned spankings as kids, but mom never beat any of us or went overboard when warming someone's bottom, but she sure did love her threats. LOL!

Pink Elephant

ROFLMAO!!!

Not something my mom used to say, but rather, something my mom used to do, and often may I add, was stand with a cigarette in her mouth and pull the leg elastics of her underpants to adjust herself after getting up!

She always wore tight slacks.

Albatross

Whenever my mom would see someone whom she considered pushy or overbearing, she would say, "Boy, they really think they're I.T., don't they?"

I always wondered who I.T. was but figured he must be a real jerk.

One day I asked her and she looked at me with a perfectly blank expression and said, "I.T. ... it."

Lil

LOL! I know there were some gems. I got the "give you something to cry about" like most did. Her favorite swear was "Hell's Bells!" and I use that to this day.

One thing she said only once but I remember it so vividly...its stuck with me as a "don't let yourself get taken advantage of" lesson. One of my aunts was upset that she'd done some very nice thing for someone, I don't remember what, and they had taken advantage of her in a big way. She'd said to my mother, "I was only trying to be a good Christian!" My Mom responded, "You know, they used to throw Christians to the lions."

My absolute favorite thing my mom said to me: "Don't you look at me in that tone of voice!"

Lil

I just thought of this...

Mom always used to say, "No one can give a dirty look like someone with brown eyes."

My father and brother had blue eyes. I guess I know who she meant. :roflmao:

AppleCori

OMG, ladies! You had moms who gave advice! My mom was way too much of a hippie (self-proclaimed) to give any advice. She believed in hands-off parenting. The only thing I really remember was once she said ‘if you’re gonna mess something up, go all the way and mess up really big’. I think it was her way of saying, go big or go home. Not sure.

I had this one husband (long ago) who would say stuff like ‘don’t assume. It makes an ass out of U and me’...and ‘sometimes even a blind squirrel finds an acorn’ ....and even stupid things like ‘a stitch in time saves nine’ and a lot of other things I don’t remember off the top of my head. I think it was usually in relation to something I did.

No wonder I dumped the jerk.....

Lil

OMG...I just thought of something my DAD used to say! Regarding "loose women":

He said they were stupid. If they were giving it away, they may as well charge and make some money from it! :eek: To this day I can't believe he said such a thing in front of me! LOL!

He also thought a woman should be built so if she walked into a wall, her feet or her belly shouldn't hit first! That one always kind of hurt my feelings since I've never been well-endowed :oops:...I think it was more of a dig at my mom, now that I think about it.

He WAS a very NICE man - really! He just had moments when his upbringing would pop out. He was born in 1911 after all. Men of that generation were a tad opinionated regarding women.