Our doggie passed

Wish

Hi Nomad,

How traumatizing. I am holding back what I really want to say about this vets office and it's proving to be very difficult, so I am just going to offer my condolences to you. I am a dog lover and I am so sorry that it ended this way. It's not your fault. You thought, what better place could there be for your pup than a vets office to board her. Anyone would think that. I am in dog rescue and I actually know it's not the best place to board a pet unless you know a vet personally like you did in your old town. But like I already said, please do not blame yourself, most people believe that a vets office is the best place to board their pets, especially pets with health problems.

My heart is breaking for you.

Copabanana

I am in dog rescue and I actually know it's not the best place to board a pet
Wish. Two questions.

What do you recommend in terms of boarding animals? In extraordinary circumstances, where there is no option, how would you locate a responsible kennel?

And less urgent, what feed do you use? Thank you.

Nomad. I am heartsick for you about your baby doggie. She did not suffer. Trust me. She must have gotten a very high fever and that would have made her very weak, drowsy and out of it. It was very quick.

You are the victim here. This could have happened to any one of us. And it does! I am so very sorry.

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
Wish...Thank you and you are right. I would only board a young dog for a max of one day. And never an old dog. This was a horror.
Copa..alternatives are limited. A friend who stays at your house or comes 2-3 x a day is best.
Since we moved here we did use a pet sitting service once. We had to go out of town for a week. It was not ideal...but obviously better than this. I have a camera in my doorbell. Noticed some little oddities. We were planning on getting inside cameras installed before hiring them again. I had also been making inquiries for pet sitters on a Local FB Page.
At my previous home, I also sometimes used a neighbor. I used her less often when her dog died and I couldn’t fully reciprocate. She also got more busy with her work.
But, I would say a friend or neighbor would be my first choice and my second would be a pet sitting service (licensed and bonded) and having cameras (sadly) is a great idea. The one I used was crazy expensive and when I got back I was shocked that her bed smelled like pee. I had left three beds and told them to simply throw a soiled bed into the garage and replace it with a clean one. The clean beds were never used. Why?
She (the sitter from the service) also seemed to of stole a roll of paper towels. How odd. I talked to the owner about a few things and another company about installing inside cameras. This way if I saw something really bad, I could call the owner and tell him to send someone else or he himself would have to complete the assignment. So even the expensive pet sitting service wasn’t ideal, but I believe it was better than this horror.

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
Along with what Copa said regarding consequences, my platelets have dropped to a potentially dangerous number. I had a CBC scheduled for the next day (Thurs). I couldn’t drive myself and my husband took me. To my surprise, the lab contacted my hematologist to report this concerning very low number. They called me Fri morning and I e had to double my medication.

We have thought of writing a letter to this vet imploring him to give older dogs more diligent care when boarding. Also, to even consider telling patients if older dogs that there is additional risk with their boarding due to stress.

We are also considering contacting the vet society about developing at least a volunteer standard regarding this. Why is it not well known to pet owners? Those in the business know this well.
Additionally, vets should give their older boarded dogs more care/more consideration. I believe it’s often actually less.

Copabanana

It is not your fault.

The decision to entrust somebody else to take some responsibility does not mean we are to blame when they fail us.

It is their failure. Not ours.

You matter equally to your doggie. You deserve to protect yourself.

Last edited:

BusynMember

If I felt up to it, I would do more but one thing I really never did was blame myself for what others did wrong. So I had will and anger, not guilt. I over blame myself for enough. I couldnt add the mistakes of others to this load.

If, and only if, you feel up to it, take further action. Cry while you do it if you must. But dont do anything you are not strong enough to do beneath the grief. Your dear doggy and Copa your mother both understand now and are grateful for your love, not angry that you were not in shape to fight when they passed.

Do not ruin you memories.

Love and light!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I am so sorry for your loss, Nomad, and sorry for the way in which it happened.

I am in a situation with one of my cats, who will be 15 in 3 weeks, where he must be boarded at the vets so that his health can be monitored and he can be given his many medications.

Luckily, he and his bond mates are great favorites at the clinic, and receive a lot of attention from the assistants and technicians, not to mention the veterinarians themselves.

I still fear him dying or becoming ill in care, though, and I fear it for his slightly younger partner as well.

Actually, I have feared it for my dogs and cats in a regular boarding kennel situation as well.

While anything can happen, I do feel your situation was extraordinary, and I am very sorry.

Wish

We have thought of writing a letter to this vet imploring him to give older dogs more diligent care when boarding.

If it were me, I'd take it quite a few steps further and go to the police station and file a report that you think negligence and/or abuse might have occured. What dog becomes this sick while at a VETS office of all places, especially when your dog had recent blood work that said she was fine? After I filed a police report, I would retain a lawyer to help with the charges, sue and shut down. My last step would be to write a long review on every website his vets office appears on including google. I would need to warn people to not bring their dog to this vet. This should not have happened to your dog Nomad. Your dog should have been safe at this vets office. However, I know that you are not feeling well so your health needs to take top priority right now. Please take care of yourself.

Wish

What do you recommend in terms of boarding animals? In extraordinary circumstances, where there is no option, how would you locate a responsible kennel?

And less urgent, what feed do you use? Thank you.

Hi Copa,

There really isn't anyway to know what facilities are best to board your pet. I know vets offices in general tend just to house and feed the dog but rarely give them any one on one time or social interaction or playtime. Basically, they are in their cages all day and no one stays there over night. Keep in mind, not all Vets are like this but a lot of them are.

But I'm going to try to answer your question of where would you board your pet if you had no options. I would start joining local pet groups and rescues on facebook. I have become a part of huge network of local animal lovers in my town. I have met them all in real life and have become friends with a lot of them. It takes a while to get to know everybody and everywhere, but start now so this way, in case of an emergency, you are already well connected. How I started was, I joined our local lost pets group on facebook in case my dog was ever to become lost. Every city and town and state has one. Join them all. For instance, let's say I live in Tampa, Florida. I would type in the facebook search engine "lost pets of Tampa, Florida". Join whatever groups pull up in your area. From there they advertised other groups once in a while that were also local for pet lovers or you can just ask. The pet groups consist of all kinds. I joined every local pet group there IS on facebook. Before you know it (it takes a few months), you are connected with almost every pet owner and animal lover in your area that is on facebook. You get such great advice and you get to know people and pet facilities and vets. Now, I am friends with so many. You get connected with even more people when you join in on rescue missions such a sharing posts of emergency pets in danger, fostering or even just pledging or donating a few bucks. Then your network expands 10 fold. If you are a foster, you will always have someone you can trust to watch your dog while out of town or have an emergency. It's one of the perks of being a foster. I foster only once or twice a year so it's not like you have to do it all the time, although I would if I had a home and not a condo. Anyway, now all I have to do is post on my facebook page "I need someone to watch my dog, can someone help me please?" And I will have at least 10 people that I have come to known and trust offer to watch my dog.

Also, I would suggest, that if you have a home with bedrooms that are not being used, consider renting one of them out. I have a 3 bedroom condo and I always keep a roommate. In my ad's for roommates, one of the first things that I write is "you must be a dog/cat lover" and then I write somewhere else in my ad that the roommate must not mind watching my dog and taking care of her while I am out of town. It's a favor for the landlord which will be you, that they don't get paid for and normally they won't expect anything because they already love your dog and can easily take care of him or her on their own. My dog was part of the deal when they moved in and they knew that. So any roommates that I get are dog lovers right from the door and they bond with my dog pretty quickly. So I never have to worry about leaving town. My roommate loves my dog so much and she loves him to death(of course, she loves everybody). So I know she was in great hands when I left. I never had to worry. Also the same with my previous roommates. I could trust any one of them to watch my dog and I am very over protective. I teach them when they move in how to take care of my dog and pretty soon they catch on and are able to handle her on their own. I think roommates are ideal if you multiple pets and an extra room. Of course, getting roommates may be scary for some people because you never know who you are going to get but I make sure every roommate that moves in knows that I don't take no crap (but in a kind way of course). I have a contract in place with rules that they have to sign. A deposit. And I also do a background check. Anyway, roommates are a God send when you want to vacation or go out of town a lot.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Copabanana

Wish. I loved your post. So many excellent ideas.

I think the Facebook idea is the best: to make community, in general. With nice, caring, responsible people. Let alone for my animals. For me, too.

Thank you.

Wish. For roommates do you get people your own age or younger people? I mean. I assume you are older than very young.

Wish

Wish. I loved your post. So many excellent ideas.

Awww, thank you Copa.

I think the Facebook idea is the best: to make community,

And remember, you don't have to make it or build it. The dog and cat community already exist, all you have to do is find and join them! It's really that easy :)

Wish. For roommates do you get people your own age or younger people? I mean. I assume you are older than very young.

I get asked that a lot and I never have the same type of roommate. I have had roomates from 18 all the way to 62! My roommate that I have now is my first male roommate ever and he is the only roommate that I have ever have that is the same exact age as I am. We were born in the same year. Other than that, I had roommates of all ages and of all walks of life. However, I prefer a female and for her to be in her early 60's. Most of the time, they are retired, have a steady check coming in from retirement (so you know you will have your rent paid on time). I had three roommates that were 62 when they moved in here. Women who are single and in their early 60's, when they retire, they want to downsize, live as cheaply as possible and don't want to live alone so they start looking for roommate situations and that's how they find me, they answer my ad's. The reason why I like them is because most women in their 60's don't party, aren't loud, are respectful, are mature and are clean, most of all, since they don't work and if I need to go out of town, they are more than happy to watch my doggie and I know my doggie will have company mostly all day long so that makes me feel so much better.

Last edited:

Wish

Post edited above^

I've had roommates for well over a decade. I'm so use to it, I don't think I could ever live without a roommate lol.

Copabanana

Wish. Thank you.

Don't you miss your privacy, especially when the roommates don't work?

Do you make friendships?

I am untrusting. But at the same time very open. This makes me vulnerable. I wonder if I have good enough boundaries to share. But the idea is appealing.

I have thought about it. But I think with students. There are a couple of colleges and universities close.

Financially it would be great. It would pay my house expenses.

Thank you Wish.

Wish

Wish. Thank you.

Don't you miss your privacy, especially when the roommates don't work?

Do you make friendships?

I am untrusting. But at the same time very open. This makes me vulnerable. I wonder if I have good enough boundaries to share. But the idea is appealing.

I have thought about it. But I think with students. There are a couple of colleges and universities close.

Financially it would be great. It would pay my house expenses.

Thank you Wish.

At certain times I do miss my privacy a lot but for the most part, no I don't. I get asked that a lot too.

Yes I do make friendships. Some of them still come to visit me from time to time and I still hear from most of them as well via facebook.

I too am untrusting and yet very open at the same time. You and I have that in common. So long as you are firm in the begining about rules and that non-sense will not be tolerated in your home, you will most likely do well. It's all in how you write your ad. How you write your ad will weed out most of the people who are no good. They can tell by what you write that they will not be able to get away with much if they have any ill intentions or bad lifestyles and habits. For example, in my ad, I write "Absolutely no drinking and no drugs. I have no room for that kind of behavior in my life and you will be shown the door quickly if you choose to do that". Just by writing that, they will bypass your ad. Also mentioning that you do a criminal background check will help as well. You have to know how to come off in your ad as firm and won't take any crap but you also don't want to appear like a dictator so you want to show that your kind as well.

Although I am firm, I am also very kind, caring and giving to all of my roommates. I make sure that they are living comfortably and their happiness matters to me.

I too live close to a University and I have had students as my roommates as well. Most students who search for roommates outside of dorms to live and also look for older people to live with like myself as suppose to their own age, is because they don't like the whole party atmosphere or they don't feel like they fit in with their peers. The students that I had here were very nice and pleasant and I didn't have a problem with them at all (except they think they know it all but didn't we all at that age?). They just mostly focused on their studies or worked.

Now don't get me wrong, with all my roommates, we definitely had some personality conflicts no matter what age they were. It will and never will be all hukey dorey. There will be disagreements. You will get annoyed with them and you will get upset by them (and vise versa). It's guaranteed. You either are the type of a person that can deal with that or not. I would have meetings if the problem was getting out of hand and we would talk about it. Sometimes the meetings would have to happen a few times for it to sink in. Most of all, you can't be afraid to address a problem with your roommate and call it right on the spot in a kind but firm way. It took me a few years to learn this. Remember, you're home, you are the boss and the decisions are yours to make. Period.

My most current roommate, the male, he is a whole 'nother story LOL .

Copabanana

Hi again, wish.

I looked and right off the bat I found a lost pets group in my town with 18000 members, which is a quarter of the town! And I had never heard of it!

My question is this. How do you get to know the people? Do they have functions or meetings?

How did you begin to make friends?

Thank you for helping me with this.

BusynMember

This is odd, but our dogs go with us everywhere and we stay only at dog friendly hotels. My husband stays home with them if they cant come with.

Our one time boarding experience was not good, at a pet resort. It had five stars, for what that is worth. All three dogs came home sick and scared. It took a few days to normalize them.

If I had NO choice, I would ask my vet, who is very good and compassionate, if they know anyone they trust. But I think dog sitting is like baby sitting. Too many lazy people think it is a fast easy way to make money and they dont pay attention. After working at a supposed upscale daycare center, I made the decision to never trust strangers with my kids...no daycare. It is different when you leave. Very sad.

Nomad, what happened was heinous. I am beyond sorry. Your dog knows how how much you loved her. I believe our loved ones stay with us in spirit. If you have the energy, I like Wish's suggestion of giving a bad review with one star. Many people pay attention to client reviews. You cant save your sweet dog, but you can alert other pet parents not to use this vet's services and tell them what the vet did. This is on the vet. How awful of the vet!

Big hugs!

Love and light!

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
Thank you SWOT.
I did ask the vet’s Office for a pet sitter and they said they didn’t know anyone.
I do at least partially blame myself.
But, I have had a little peace about this today .
I hesitate a tiny bit to write a review, but I might.
I did tell a young new friend of mine (thirties) who I would describe as just gettingvher feet wet in the dog/pet community. She does volunteer work and is beginning to know people in this community. My guess is she will spread the word.
Since we are new here and he is a big shot, it is intimidating. I still might do it at some point.
Appreciate your lovely comments.

Copabanana

Nomad.

Honestly. I understand self blame. I understand the tendency to take responsibility for all things. I relate.

However. I do not see how even .0000001 percent of this has to do with you or anything you did or did not do or thought about doing or not.

M would say it was doggie's time to die. He believes we all have an appointment to die. And there is not one thing we can do to avert this. That I can remotely accept.

But that it had anything to do with you? No.

Last edited: