Question regarding homeless son

Copabanana

you claim them on your taxes as a dependent
Now I'm getting freaked out.

I have claimed my son as a dependent for the past two years because I have supported him for the number of months each year to qualify for this deduction. I think it's four or six or something like that.

My son has nearly always used my address whether or not he has lived here, as until he lived at our other house, he has had no stable address.

Part of my son's benefit is means-tested. As part is SSDI and part is SSI. I am now realizing that there is a drastic conflict in all of this. As his means-tested benefit would of course be impact by my support.

I am seeing that each of us has been vulnerable. He, because by accepting my financial support, and not declaring it, and at the same time receiving means-tested funds, based upon financial need, he has been breaking the law. Me, because possibly I have opened myself up to this can of worms.

My son has nearly ALWAYS mismanaged his SSI/SSDI money. Twice we have gone to Social Security to request that I be his payee (would have been a mistake). Each time they refused saying that they wanted people to manage their own money (!!??).

What is a parent supposed to do, if 900 dollars is smoked up in marijuana, cigarettes and energy drinks, in one or two weeks, max? This is reminiscent of Nomad's thread. We are put in the situation of either letting them learn by going without food and shelter and solving it, or cushioning their need (that they have created by mismanagement or foolishness.

I will think long and hard about this issue. Thank you JP and others.
'

EarthIsHard

Copa, Yes, it's a conflicted system. We went back and forth and claimed our son then decided not to even though we were fully supporting him. Mismanaged money is a real issue. We were told at a point to petition for conservatorship and that brings other issues. No great answer, just have to weigh out all angles and choose the best option at the time. Wish is was easier.

Blindsided

Face the Sun
Keep in mind although he's got an appointment for SSDI in October this situation that prompted his comment to me was only when he went to apply for emergency fuel/gas and food assistance.

I agree with the comment "Who knows with these adult children, the things that are actually said to them verses what they hear..."

He was so matter of fact about it and just said, "I'm just telling you what they said, not to alarm you or anything." I wonder if it was actually a thought going through his mind and his strange sense of reality made him think "they" said it. Who knows.

I believe you have to have a physical address to get these benefits. It's possible he gave your address and they started asking questions in that direction. My daughter got food stamps and now has Medicaid. She is no doubt asked someone she has met from going from place to place has given permission to use their address. They can be very manipulative, so who knows. I know I have some peace of mind that she has these since her alcoholism and conduct has gotten bad.

He is pulling your strings. He will figure it out.

Thinking of you.

SunnySad

My daughter tried to apply for some sort of assistance but apparently lied or did something stupid during the application process. The investigator called me to verify where she lived and some other information. I told him she was living with us until the end of that week and would then be homeless. He told me she could get benefits if she were homeless or if she used our address but she needed to be honest. He never implied any liability (financial or otherwise) on us for her.