Raw Water - Please Don't!!!

Nomad

Staff member
My husband got his check up today.
His doctor mentioned the flu shot. My husband said he was conflicted about taking it.
Then the doctor said not to take it because it’s efficacy was not that good.
So, my husband got the pneumonia shot , which the doctor felt had a better chance of doing what it is intended to do etc.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
You know, I was just saying to Jabber yesterday, I know I got the MMR - and I also know I had both types of measles and mumps! I remember mumps. I don't remember the measles, other than my mom telling me that I had only a very light case of the "hard" measles and that it was from the vaccine. Of course, I'm sure they've improved the vaccines since then. But I distinctly remember having the mumps...only on one side.
I don't remember having the measels as I was 2 when I had them, but according to my mother, I spent 3 weeks in the hospital in an oxygen tent, and it was touch and go for a few days. Measles can cause a particularly nasty pneumonia, as well as hearing loss and loss of vision.

I do remember the mumps. I was 5 and my grandmother diagnosed me by feeding me a pickle and sending me through the roof.

German measles I only remember because a cousin was going to take me and my sister to Disneyland, and we couldn't go because I got sick. I think my sister holds it against me to this day.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm not really sure. The only time it ever became an issue for me was when I had to prove immunity to be allowed into Germany in the mid 80s. And then the whole mess getting back into the US. I seem to remember the 3 diseases being given as seperate vaccines at before the 70s, though.

susiestar

Roll With It
I wish I could tell you when the MMR was combined. My mom still has all those old records, but mine are not really correct. At some point someone at the doctor's office dropped a stack of files that had my records and my brother's and all the records for one of my classmate's and his siblings (I think he had 5 at that point). Not all the records had a name written on the papers. A cup of coffee also got spilled with the papers, so some of them were destroyed. Both moms knew that all of the kids were fully up to date on all the recommended shots, so they just wrote in whatever date seemed likely when they went to fill out the shot records. The doctor and nurses just made the charts back that up, and they were glad that the moms were so reasonable about it.

Did they line you up in school and vaccinate the whole class at once for various things, or do TB tests on the whole class at once? I remember them doing this to us when I was in elementary school. We also had tests for vision, hearing, scoliosis, and they tested our feet to see if we had problems with those. I thought it was strange because my doctors tested all of that already. It never occurred to me that classmates might not go to the doctor regularly. Of course I went to a Catholic school, so things were a bit different than in public school as far as seeing doctors.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Its interesting
G how we went from water to vaccines here. Full disclosure from me. I worked in vaccine medical information and research for several years. I know this is a hot topic for many. I hedge on the side of scienc always. I belong to a vaccine education group.

MMR was introduced in 1971 and the booster in 1989. If you had natural virus and low titters or no titters for one of the diseases you may well have received a booster as an adult.

The bottom line here is no medication is 100% effective there are vaccine non responders. People with renal disease get 4x the amount of Hep B vaccine as they are a population that responds poorly to vaccines.

The benefits far outweigh the risks. This is scientifically proven from years and years of data collection. The flat Earthers and big brother scare mongers like to misinform about vaccines. The epidemic out breaks in Scotland after the false science was published by Andrew Wakefield was a true tragedy. Many infants suffered and some died because of his lies falsely linking vaccines to autism.

So as you can tell I am very pro vaccines. To each their own. But please get you facts from reasonable sources.

Can adjuvants up regulate underlying auto immune disorders. Yes. These populations must seek advice from medical experts regarding their vaccines.

Lil

Did they line you up in school and vaccinate the whole class at once for various things, or do TB tests on the whole class at once? I remember them doing this to us when I was in elementary school. We also had tests for vision, hearing, scoliosis, and they tested our feet to see if we had problems with those.

I remember everything but the feet and scoliosis. I was born in 63, so I would have started school in 68...I know I wasn't quite 5 yet, late birthday. I don't remember the years they gave shots, but I know everyone got them. I distinctly remember one girl - I even remember her name - who was terrified of needles, who was screaming and fighting and trying to run and two teachers physically restraining her for the vaccination! My God can you imagine the uproar if that happened today!!!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I remember getting the oral polio vaccines, and having to take "something" in an envelope to school to give to the nurse to prove I'd ""had my shots".

I was checked for scolioses, foot, and dental problems at school. Oddly, I passed the school test, but have two types of spinal curvature now.

I went to a public school in a poor neighborhood as a child.

Lil

You seriously got shots in school???????

You didn't?

I'm surprised as I think you're older than me. I went to a very small, rural school, but I thought that was something all over the USA. Yes, they did all the immunizations I think, unless your parent's told them you'd had them done elsewhere. I am 100% certain of the smallpox and polio vaccines, the eye and hearing tests too. Now that I think about it, they did the scoliosis check. They also had a dentist come teach you to brush teeth - does anyone remember that? They gave you these red chewable pills that stuck to your teeth and you'd have to brush it all off, remember?

But yeah, I'll never forget the sight of Priscilla being held up between two male teachers, with her little legs kicking like crazy, like she was trying to run but her feet weren't touching the ground. She got her vaccination even though she acted like it was going to kill her and we all laughed for years about her being so scared of needles.

Kids are jerks like that. :redface:

AppleCori

I remember getting shots at school.

We got all the hearing, vision, dental checks, too.

I was in the last group to get the small-pox vaccine. They discontinued it the next year.

I was in a small, rural farming community.

Anyone remember the Bookmobile? It was a portable library. It would come down our lane every couple of weeks or so. We would get in the bookmobile van and pick out books and return them the next time and pick out new ones.

Lil

I remember Bookmobile!

I got a talking to and my parents contacted about my book choices. I'm sorry, but if they don't want kids to read books on Satanism, witches and demonology, don't put them on the bus!

I was a curious and rather morbid child who read too many horror stories - it was research!

BusynMember

Nobody stood in line for shots in my more wealthy and educated public school district. We got shots from our doctor's. That was it. We just had to bring proof of shots. We could not enter without proof of vaccination.

Last edited:

Lil

Ok. I grew up in a Chicago white collar suburb. Parents were well informed.

I'd say that explains it. Seems like all of us who remember that were in either small rural areas or poor neighborhoods, or I think someone said Catholic school? Might have been a government program of some sort aimed to get all kids who wouldn't otherwise be vaccinated because of socio-economic status.

AppleCori

I remember it being administered through the state Health Department.

I could be wrong, but I know it wasn’t the school nurse that gave the shots.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'd say that explains it. Seems like all of us who remember that were in either small rural areas or poor neighborhoods, or I think someone said Catholic school? Might have been a government program of some sort aimed to get all kids who wouldn't otherwise be vaccinated because of socio-economic status.

My parents had our shots done by our pediatrician. Oral polio vaccine is the only one I remember getting at school. I did have to bring in a special form from my pediatrician stating that I had had my vaccinations, and present that to the school nurse a few days before "shot days". My mother was afraid that having our vaccinations at school would somehow be unsanitary, and despite us being quite poor, she felt better paying the doctor's fees for us to have them done in the pediatrician's office. Those vaccines were also subsidized by Public Health.

It was public health in our case. All the school nurse did was maintain some sort of check-off list as students were vaccinated.

I can also remember being checked for head lice on a few occasions.

I'm also old enough that I am vaccinated for smallpox.

Lil

I am 99.9% certain that we never had a school nurse. If we were sick, we went to the office. My brother was injured badly enough to require stitches once. They had him walk over to the local doctor's office, which conveniently was next door to the school.

Then again, though we were the county seat, the school had about 200 kids, K thru 12.