This is for Pink and all. How do you do your laundry?

Pink Elephant

What are you ironing today, Pink?

I don’t do much ironing, I only have a few shirts that need it, and don’t use them every week.

My daughter’s ex-fiancé had a housekeeper, and when she would go there, the housekeeper would do her laundry and she would iron everything, even her underwear! So I keep imagining you there ironing your underwear while responding on this forum....
Husbands sports shirts. He doesn't wear t-shirts.

ROFLMAO! I do not iron underwear! :) OMG... can you imagine?

Pink Elephant

Laundry question—do you wash once per week or daily/whenever you have a full load?

I wash a load about five days per week, usually only one load per day (occasionally two).

I feel overwhelmed if I have too many dirty clothes piled up.
I tend to start a load when needed. No specific days or anything, just when needed, and always a full load when I do.

I'm like you, Apple, in that everything needs to be clean and organized in my home. No laundry sitting around, so dirty laundry, no dishes in the sink or counter (or on the table), no mail loosely sitting around. Clean and organized is my fashion. :)

AppleCori

I tend to start a load when needed. No specific days or anything, just when needed, and always a full load when I do.

I'm like you, Apple, in that everything needs to be clean and organized in my home. No laundry sitting around, so dirty laundry, no dishes in the sink or counter (or on the table), no mail loosely sitting around. Clean and organized is my fashion. :)

The mail! That used to be the bane of my existence!

One thing I love about my hubby is that he gets the mail on his way in from work, and he takes care of it on the spot. Never leaves any piece sitting around. Disposed of it, files it, pays it, whatever, but never leaves it out on the counter.

I tend to have a few pieces of mail I am not sure what to do with, or I procrastinate on, but hubby never does.

A match made in heaven!

Pink Elephant

The mail! That used to be the bane of my existence!

One thing I love about my hubby is that he gets the mail on his way in from work, and he takes care of it on the spot. Never leaves any piece sitting around. Disposed of it, files it, pays it, whatever, but never leaves it out on the counter.

I tend to have a few pieces of mail I am not sure what to do with, or I procrastinate on, but hubby never does.

A match made in heaven!
For the past number of years I have adopted the "take care of it NOW" policy, and it works well with my personality/nature. Get at it and get it out of the way, is my adage these days. :)

I'm ashamed to admit that we have a cupboard that's jammed-packed with old mail, so once of these days I'm going to get a plastic garbage bag, hold it under the open doors, and scoop all inside! Clutter (of any kind) is my bane of my existence. :)

AppleCori

For the past number of years I have adopted the "take care of it NOW" policy, and it works well with my personality/nature. Get at it and get it out of the way, is my adage these days. :)

I'm ashamed to admit that we have a cupboard that's jammed-packed with old mail, so once of these days I'm going to get a plastic garbage bag, hold it under the open doors, and scoop all inside! Clutter (of any kind) is my bane of my existence. :)

I like a do-it-now policy, at least in theory.

If I really practiced it, I would have several projects out of the way by now, though.

Are you a declutterer? I have done quite a bit, though there is always more to do. What have you decluttered lately?

Pink Elephant

I like a do-it-now policy, at least in theory.

If I really practiced it, I would have several projects out of the way by now, though.

Are you a declutterer? I have done quite a bit, though there is always more to do. What have you decluttered lately?
Me, too! :)

I de-clutter once a year, going through the closets and boxes downstairs and things, weeding-out whatever I can to help prune things back in the home. Sometimes it's just a matter of gathering up old clothing that hasn't been looked at in ages need alone worn, and bagging it up and dropping it off at one of the local thrift stores, while other times it's going through a room with a fine-tooth-comb and really purging it of all things that are no longer used/needed.

I've seen a few homes where rooms are sparsely furnished, and no extras exist, and it really does make for a home that one can clean and move around in far more efficiently. There's a lot to be said for minimalism.

How about yourself, Apple?

AppleCori

Me, too! :)

I de-clutter once a year, going through the closets and boxes downstairs and things, weeding-out whatever I can to help prune things back in the home. Sometimes it's just a matter of gathering up old clothing that hasn't been looked at in ages need alone worn, and bagging it up and dropping it off at one of the local thrift stores, while other times it's going through a room with a fine-tooth-comb and really purging it of all things that are no longer used/needed.

I've seen a few homes where rooms are sparsely furnished, and no extras exist, and it really does make for a home that one can clean and move around in far more efficiently. There's a lot to be said for minimalism.

How about yourself, Apple?

I like minimalism in theory, but haven’t yet achieved it in reality. I think I have a fear of really getting rid of everything I actually could get rid of.

We combined two homes, essentially, when I moved into hubby’s house. He claims he didn’t have much, but he did have quite a bit of junk that I didn’t at all mind getting rid of. My stuff, however, is a different story.

We went through the basement (yet again) right before the end of the year, and donated quite a bit of stuff (good tax write-offs), and do that about every year.

I have a built-in cabinet in the family room that could use going through. We are planning on taking a weekend when it is hot and miserable outside and clean it out. And deep-clean the family room, touch up the paint and such.

I was saving my kitchen declutter for the remodel (which might take a back seat to my me-remodel), so may or may not do that.

We did clean out a couple of other rooms this spring when the weather was bad, but I could still get rid of more. I feel like, if we were to move to a much smaller house, it would force me to get rid of more stuff.

I wouldn’t call any room in my house “sparsely furnished”. I would like to get there some day, though.

Pink Elephant

I like minimalism in theory, but haven’t yet achieved it in reality. I think I have a fear of really getting rid of everything I actually could get rid of.

We combined two homes, essentially, when I moved into hubby’s house. He claims he didn’t have much, but he did have quite a bit of junk that I didn’t at all mind getting rid of. My stuff, however, is a different story.

We went through the basement (yet again) right before the end of the year, and donated quite a bit of stuff (good tax write-offs), and do that about every year.

I have a built-in cabinet in the family room that could use going through. We are planning on taking a weekend when it is hot and miserable outside and clean it out. And deep-clean the family room, touch up the paint and such.

I was saving my kitchen declutter for the remodel (which might take a back seat to my me-remodel), so may or may not do that.

We did clean a couple of other rooms this spring when the weather was bad, but I could still get rid of more. I feel like, if we were to move to a much smaller house, it would force me to get rid of more stuff.

I wouldn’t call any room in my house “sparsely furnished”. I would like to get there some day, though.
I'm the same as you, Apple. For the most part, everything we have in the home now is all stuff that I'd like to keep, so as far as pruning things down further than we already have, it's just not going to happen, however, our biggest problem when it comes to things and stuff, is proper storage space. We have such a small home, and being as dated as it is, there's little space to store stuff. Hate that about older homes.

Then again, reading your post, the idea of having a larger home sometimes scares me, because it seems no matter how conscientious people are and want to be, a larger home often equates to even more stuff and things.

Dear husband and I were actually reflecting on this very topic a few months back, and we were reminiscing about what we didn't have (and had) when we first started out, and it seemed with our second move, things just exploded. Year after year we accumulated more and more, and before long you look around and think, where did all of this stuff come from. Happens so fast.

Surprisingly enough, I sit on the fence as far as furnishings and sparseness goes. One side of longs for free, open space, while the other part of me says, furnish each room to it's fullest. There's a definite hominess that comes about through a warmly furnished and decorated home, and I've always liked that.

Pink Elephant

One thing I was always lazy about, was cleaning and sanitizing the plastic diaper pail on laundry day (diaper-wash day). My way of thinking was, as soon as you finish emptying the pail and cleaning it, someone is going to need changing, so just wash the diapers and stand the pail back in the corner of the bathroom again. LOL!

Same thing went for washing and drying diapers. Being an early-rider I'd have a load of diapers washed and hanging on the line by 7 am, and it seemed no sooner I was done taking those nice and clean and fresh diapers down off the line and folding and stacking them, someone would need changing, and thus the process would start all over again. Diapers were constant... I never got ahead with them, I just kept from drowning in them. :)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Can anyone recommend a good "dye-catcher"? (something that will prevent dye from, say a new pair of jeans, staining other clothing) I just washed a very dark blue pair of denim capris with a lighter pair of denim capris and had a bit of color transfer.

Pink Elephant

Can anyone recommend a good "dye-catcher"? (something that will prevent dye from, say a new pair of jeans, staining other clothing) I just washed a very dark blue pair of denim capris with a lighter pair of denim capris and had a bit of color transfer.
I have yet to find a remedy for such. I do remember owning a pair of pants at one time that bled and bled, washing after washing. It was so bad I finally got rid of them.

AppleCori

I have heard good things about the Shout color catchers, but I haven’t used them, myself.

I believe soaking your new jeans in salt water and vinegar helps to set the dye better and keep the clothes looking newer longer. That’s what I have always done to new jeans. Also, you aren’t suppose to wash them a very often. My sister almost never washes hers.

Pink Elephant

I have heard good things about the Shout color catchers, but I haven’t used them, myself.

I believe soaking your new jeans in salt water and vinegar helps to set the dye better and keep the clothes looking newer longer. That’s what I have always done to new jeans. Also, you aren’t suppose to wash them a very often. My sister almost never washes hers.
You bring attention to an excellent point, that being washing clothing too much. I believe people launder overly nowadays, and when things aren't even soiled.

AppleCori

You bring attention to an excellent point, that being washing clothing too much. I believe people launder overly nowadays, and when things aren't even soiled.

If anyone can over-launder, it’s me.

I can’t stand to wear clothes that have been worn, without washing.

But I make an exception for dark jeans.

Pink Elephant

If anyone can over-launder, it’s me.

I can’t stand to wear clothes that have been worn, without washing.

But I make an exception for dark jeans.
I used to be like that but not anymore. Pants, are laundered when absolutely needed, and I do mean when needed, as for tops, those are laundered after each wear (oily skin, sweating, etc). Never a nice feeling putting a previously worn top on a clean body. As for unmentionables, those get laundered regularly as to be expected.

BusynMember

Pink....I understand. Some men just don't do women's work but they pull their weight in other ways. My first husband helped with baby stuff, but we didn't have a good marriage in the important ways.

Pink Elephant

Pink....I understand. Some men just don't do women's work but they pull their weight in other ways. My first husband helped with baby stuff, but we didn't have a good marriage in the important ways.
That's just it, I was able to overlook a lot for the many extras dear husband always did. Now, had he not helped with anything, well, that would have been a different story.

AppleCori

I used to be like that but not anymore. Pants, are laundered when absolutely needed, and I do mean when needed, as for tops, those are laundered after each wear (oily skin, sweating, etc). Never a nice feeling putting a previously worn top on a clean body. As for unmentionables, those get laundered regularly as to be expected.

I either wear light-colored jeans or athletic wear for everyday. I wash the exercise clothes after ever wear, and the light-colored jeans after every couple or three.

I save my dark jeans and slacks for going out places that require a bit more dressing up than usual, and try not to launder unless dirty.