Abbey is back...

svengandhi

I followed your story since I originally joined the site the day after Thanksgiving in 1999. My name at that time is long forgotten.

I wish you the best in your health situation and am so happy to hear that your Difficult Child has turned his life around and is now a source of help and happiness to you.

AppleCori

Hi Abbey!

So thankful that you started this unique and wonderful site!

I am so glad your son has become such a blessing to you in your time of need.

Stay strong.

Let us know how you are doing, whenever you can.

We are thinking of you.

Apple

pigless in VA

Abbey, thank you for creating this site where people can support each other. Thank you for your encouraging and optimistic story. We all need to have hope for the future. I wish you the best on your cancer treatment. I know you are at least happy to have your son support you in it. :love_heart:

Last edited:

Kathy813

Staff member
Hi Abbey. It is so good to see you again. I am so glad to hear about your son. My daughter has also seemed to turn the corner after many horrible years. I laughed when you said he had become the pope of AA. My daughter has also become very immersed in the 12-step programs after years of telling us that they were stupid and didn't work. Someone once said to me that you end up closest to the child that gave you the most trouble. I didn't believe it but I am starting to wonder if there might not be some truth to it after all.

I am sorry to hear about your health struggles. I hope and pray for a full remission.

~Kathy

rita

Greetings! I haven't popped in here in a long time. For those who don't know me, I was the site originator another lifetime ago.

Me... I have a new challenge of hopefully surviving Stage 4 throat cancer. Every day is a blessing and a challenge.

difficult child. I never, in my wildest dreams thought I'd be writing this, but I think it's important for frustrated parents to hear. It took 29 years, 6 felony convictions, years in prison, severe heroine addiction, armed robbery, etc., for difficult child to finally get it.

He moved to my state, Wisconsin, 2 1/2 years ago stating he wanted to change. We did not open our home or hearts to him. Call it been there, done that. He came with a federal warrant for trafficking across state lines and was the top dog of a statewide sting 6 months later. He spent 6 months in Wisconsin prison and was released early for good behavior.

For the last two years I've watched him slowly struggle from ground up and face all the consequences his past afforded him. It was very heartbreaking to watch him struggle so badly. In that two years he has held a job, gone back to college, is like the pope of AA, and is living in a nice apartment by himself. Most important, though, is he's slowly earned the trust and love of the family. He is constantly reevaluating his past and has taken all ownership of everything he did. We have had many discussions about life. I constantly tell him how proud I am of him, but it's more important that he's proud of himself.

He's become my default caretaker helping me when I'm too tired or driving me to endless doctors appointments. I looked at him the other day and said...who'd have thunk???

So, hang tight guys. Protect yourself, do the best you can, but always be ready for a real change. It can happen.

Love you all!!

Abbey

Abbey I am thrilled to hear how well John is doing. James is now dad of two clean 4 years, hard worker and good hubby....who woulda thunk it??? In any case reading about John just made my day. Thinking of you and sending wishes of healing, health and peace xo

Estherfromjerusalem

Rita, it's good to see you. Every time I sign off "Love, Esther" I think of "Peace, Rita"!!!

Abbey, how are you getting on? I hope there is some improvement. You are precious to so many of us here -- no, to ALL of us here.

Love, Esther

Nancy

Hi Abbey/Deb. Keep fighting my friend. I think you know how I feel about you and the support you have given us all over the years. You are an inpsiration and are in my thoughts and prayers all the time. See you on fb.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Abbey
My heart and prayers are with you. I am a cancer survivor 15 years now from a rare tumor that grew with a pregnancy. I am fortunate As most often it is not discovered until it is too far gone.

Weather or not I survive my AS D.C. Remains to be seen. Your story gives me hope and I send my faith and hope to you. ❤️

Thank you for this site. It is a wonderful place to heal.

Snow White

On the Mad Tea Party Ride
Thank you, Abbey! This site has been a lifesaver for so many, including myself, since its inception. The names may change but the community spirit hasn't! I'm so happy to hear that things have finally turned for you and your family! Such inspiration!