Exercise

AppleCori

It helps if you have someone to go with to the gym.

My hubby and I try to go several times per week after he gets off work. It is hard to fine the time, though, because my daughter dances several times per week in the evenings and has other activities, and we also have a sit-down dinner together every night. And, I don’t like to leave her home alone after dark. If we go, it is while she is in her activities, but I have to have dinner in the crock pot or pre-made because I am too tired to cook and clean up all the mess late at night.

We go usually on weekends, and try for a couple of weekday evenings as well.

I often wear my gym clothes during the day if we are going after work, so I don’t have to change. Or wear them under a long-sleeved shirt.

I want to start going in the mornings before work, but it is so hard to get hubby to go. When he gets up, he is usually in work mode and is focused on that.

Elsi

Early morning workouts are the only ones that work for me, because later in the day it's too easy to find excuses not to do it. I have too much work to do...I'm too tired...I should do housework instead...etc. I've got to do it first thing when I get up, before I'm awake enough to start looking for excuses. :rolleyes: And since I work from home and am not comfortable either driving or walking in the dark, that means having an at-home workout program I can do independently. I found the elliptical and the bike both on Craiglist for about $100 each. Lots of people end up selling this kind of stuff cheap. I also have some light weights and have found some great videos on Amazon for yoga and strength training.

When I'm really struggling, I just tell myself to go down and do 15 minutes on the bike and if I'm still not feeling it I can stop. By the time my 15 minutes is up, I'm usually revved up enough to continue. It's a great easy warm-up for the rest of my workout. I push myself more on the elliptical for the cardio.

I truly am a person who does not like exercise. Really, not any.

I definitely hear you. Two things have really helped my mindset here:
  • I look at exercise as a gift to my future self, like putting money in the bank for retirement. Even more important, really - because how much good will money do you if you're not healthy and independent? I'd rather be poor and independent than bedbound and paying caregivers to put me on the toilet. Of course, not everything is in our control, but I want to control the things I can. Weight control. Maintaining muscle strength and flexibility. Taking care of my grandparents in their final years was eye-opening for me, in terms of the things that make a difference in quality of life. (DO YOUR SQUATS!!!!)
  • I try to look at my workouts as "me time". I have podcasts and books I ONLY listen to during exercise - it's a rule I set for myself. So if I want to hear them I've got to get my butt down there. Or I put my favorite music on blast (and sing!). I don't necessarily look forward to the exercise, but I look forward to the listening time. The incentives may be different for you - maybe it's finding an exercise buddy, as AppleCori suggests, for socialization and accountability. Maybe it's a guilty pleasure TV show you can have on while you work out. Anything that links immediate pleasure to the act of working out. (Tactics like "paying myself" for workouts, and saving money for something I wanted, didn't work for me as they aren't immediate enough - I need to tie the pleasure stimulus directly to the exercise.)

Tired out

But, even with that bad mess up and no exercise, I lost 1.2 pounds. So, I think if I put in honest effort I should be ok.
I really believe that if a person is honest and stick to their WW points they loose. Even without workouts if you follow the points you will loose. Honesty about points is key. I am back with my points. I feels so much better when I track!

Copabanana

I really believe that if a person is honest and stick to their WW points they loose.
I did not lose!

But maybe it is because I did not use all of my points. I quit the program, and what I am doing now is trying to eat healthily (and I do not eat a lot.) I gave up[ the idea of losing weight, I was having such a hard time. Now that I have relaxed, (not in terms of what I eat, but trying not to be so desperate and intense about everything) I am not weighing myself, but I feel myself to be losing a little bit of weight. But I afraid to go near the scale.

Why? Because the scale seems to be no-win, for me.

It might be the Pilates, which I have been doing a couple of months, that is helping me feel better. I feel my stomach is flatter. Yay. I really like the Pilates which you do on a flat machine-like table/apparatus. The "transformer" supports and guides the body to move correctly. There are people of all ages and conditions in the class, but the group skews to mature people, even old. Which I like.

What I was thinking is this: along with the exercise bike idea, or treadmill there are exercise rubber bands and/or A TRX, which is like hanging ropes with handles. (Costs $75 at Walmart, or did when I bought it.) I love both of these. You could find a personal trainer to set you up with a routine. They write it down and draw pictures to help you remember. This way, you could do your routine at home while watching TV or listening to audiobooks. I did the exercise bands for a long time, many years ago, when my son was little. I was happy doing it and I got very fit. A personal trainer is not necessarily expensive. The man I go to at the Mixed Martial Arts Studio changes me $25 an hour.

If you did an aerobic exercise, like the treadmill or bike, and a resistance workout with either TRX or rubber bands, or both, this would be all you need, I think. This does not have to be complicated or hard.

Elsi

I don’t think of exercise as a weight loss strategy. Back when I was running, I often GAINED during intense training - the carbs my body craved when I was ramping up for a half marathon apparently exceeded what I was burning! Research seems to agree that diet, not exercise, is key to weight loss.

But exercise is important for other reasons. It has anti-aging benefits at the cellular level. It releases endorphins that help us stay healthy mentally. And it maintains muscle strength and overall fitness as we age, which will help us stay independent longer. I learned a lot from the care providers that helped us with my grandparents. Balance and strength are key. They were big on squats, because the ability to get up off the toilet by yourself is one of the limiting factors that determines whether or not someone is able to stay in the home! My mom does strength and balance training at the senior center now three times a week with exercises specifically designed to promote independence.

Copa, I hear you on the scale frustration. I have a really hard time losing, too, even when I’m writing down every calorie and doing everything ‘right’. A single cookie seems to derail a week’s worth of strict paleo and calorie counting. I’d really like to lose 20 by my birthday (June), but I’ve learned not to pin too much on the scale. My main focus is overall health. And exercise makes me feel better.

So down to the basement I go! Long cardio and yoga today. Short cardio and strength tomorrow.

BusynMember

I agree with Elsi. Excerise is not just for losing weight. I exercise even when I am a normal weight, like now. I care less about the "beauty" benefits (after a certain age we have the right not to worry about that in my opinion) and more about the health and cognitive benefits.

It can help a lot. Many people my age are mobility challenged....some become so in their 50s.. this is often due to not bring in shape combined with smoking (I hate smoki g and what it does to nice people).

But some things are out of our control. My uncle, who weighed nothing;/anorexic was a big time runner. 20 miles when he was still in his 50s. Never smoked. In his early 60s developed Lewy Body dementia and died very sick in a wheelchair. So all his worry about weight, running and health did not help him. He died realitvely young and suffering Nobodu cared more about his health than he did although maybe.his poor eating was a factor here. He was a skeleton tje last tume I saw him.. He had lost 20-30 pounds and looked old.

I dont feel it is in any way healthy to worry about being skinny. In my ientrest in anorexia, in which I studied it in detail and still do, it is a life long problem I learned. Nursing homes have many patients who misuse laxatives to lose weight! I hadnt known that!

Copa maybe your body is telling you that you are at a good weight for you. You are not overweight. You do not have to think about it. After everything I have and am learning about the obsession (not saying you have one) to be thin, it sounds terrifying and a real mental illness wirh a high mortality rate.

Excercising can be done simply because you feel good after and your body stays limber. "if you dont use it, you lose it."

Hugs to all. Have a peaceful, amazing day!

Last edited:

Tired out

But maybe it is because I did not use all of my points. I quit the program, and what I am doing now is trying to eat healthily (and I do not eat a lot.)
You HAVE to use your points. it doesn't work to eat less that your points, I still go by the older program (in my head) I had 28 points and counted everything but fruit and veggies. I don't like the Free Style where chicken, fish, beans, ff greek yogurt are zero points.
People always think if they cut back even farther they will loose more, faster. It is not true. Your body slows down burning becasue it thinks you are trying to starve it. After I lost the weight my sister and niece both did what you did, eat less cause it has to be better and faster. Then they complained to me that I was nuts that it doesn't work, then it came out that they weren't really following plan. They were eating 16-20 points/day , that was when you got 28 points((for our size)) and counted chicken etc. I told them..eat your 28 points. They both said it was difficult BUT then they both started loosing. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, there isn't a one size fits all for anything. BUT is someone is really and truly following the plan and I and they don't loose then they should talk to the team leader and ask for help.
Good luck!

BusynMember

I lost weight fast on WW and did.not use all my points. It is probably different for all.

The WW freestyle was horrible for me. And if I set my mind to it I lose fast. This freestyle did not work.

On the point system I was in workout mode and did very hard workouts. I started WW points in Sept. and had lost 50 much needef poumds by the following April. I went to meetings (they were fum) and got lots of compliments which helped me go.

Nomad

Staff member
My in law family is weight obsessed. Interesting one has ulcerative colitis. This ailment has been hard on her and naturally causes her to be thin. Sadly, I suspect others are almost jealous. Ewwww. They are all slender and on occasion slightly under weight. They will exercise if sick like with a fever. Huh? They will not eat sweets on major holidays like Christmas. They are obsessed. It’s unhealthy psychologically and at times physically. Plus they can be a bit boring (for lack of a better word here). Tooooo much emphasis on food and exercise. They hate cooking. Can eat hardly anything all day and a protein bar for dinner and call it a day. Ohhhh what fun. Not.

Copabanana

That's why I have temporarily stopped weighing myself or even dieting.

I was turning into your in-laws, nomad!

Not extremely (like diet bars for dinner...or exercising sick! Yuck) but my version.

I lost sight of. the forest for the trees. Like. I cook every day for m. And I do not eat. I cook in a way he likes, and never think of what appeals to me. I have lost the connection between food and appetite or pleasure

That's not right. I used to love to eat. To cook what I love . I remember foods I cooked just for myself 40 years ago. And loved.

Like poached salmon. Or beef stewed with fruit (Jewish ). Or apple pie. Or turkey meatloaf. Stuff m hates. And I love. (Oh. He likes pie.)

It's not right to lose that connection to myself. What coukd be worth that?

Lil said something on another thread. About cheesecake. She said something like this; if I can't eat cheesecake with pleasure I want to be fat.

She's right.

BusynMember

Nomad, sounds a lot like they have eating disorders. It runs in families, they are finding out, and it certainly runs in mine! My sis will diet if she is 100 lbs!! She is 5'4 and knows she has an eating disorder. I strongly believe one of her kids is showing an obsessive and restrictive way of eating, thinks ALOT about food (way more than is the norm) and over excercizes. She is very skinny and blogs about all of this. l Three generations.

My brother has Crohns and is very thin but who wants to be thin because they are sick and in pain? People with body dysmorphia who believe being skinny, not just thin, is necessary to them. It is even worth pain to them. It is a mental illness.

It is not normal to be obsessed with foods, restrictions, being skinny, excerising so much that it impacts your life etc. This is what I am learning from my studying of anorexia and bulemia. Most anorexics love to cook though. For others. Why?

They are hungry and obsessed with food and many go into professions that feature food, like cooks and nutrition coaches. Many are vegan which does not mean all vegans have eating disorders but many "recovering" eating disordered people go vegan as they think it is lower calorie.

And of course vegans restrict what they eat like anorexics so its a socially accepted way to watch everything you ingest. Almost all the "recoveref" girls on Youtube are still too skinny and vegan. They say vegan makes tjem feel safe. No mention of doing it for animals. Just how they can eat a lot and stay skinny.

I have met a few heavier vegans bit suspect they eat pastas and not jist fruit and veggies.

Honestly, I am just learning these things. I got interested because it is rampant in my DNA. I am so grateful not to have it. It sounds terrible.

Copa, enjoy eating. I make sure I get my normal amount of calories in and always have ice cream for desert. I am NOT going to be those sick women who feel guilty eating good food!

Nomad, your sons in laws sound very unhealthy in all areas. Do they not have cake at family weddings????? Gee, crazy!

Last edited:

Tired out

The WW freestyle was horrible for me. And if I set my mind to it I lose fast. This freestyle did not work.
I agree. Freestyle was a bust. I think people were loosing too fast on the points system so they implemented free style, making a lot of foods "free", then people who lack control and need stricter perimeters went overboard with "free" foods and it slowed weight loss.
I tried free style and gained weight. I stay with the points system prior to freestyle.
I only weigh 1x week. I can't say I am weight obsessed. I go by how my clothes fit.

Copabanana

The. What is the name of the system you use? Is it points plus? I will try.

Of all the options there are I agree. Wwught watchers seems the healthiest, most balanced and sane. Even if I don't lose, I would be eating healthier.

I think I'm eating healthy now but too little .at night I seek to fill up, and eat stuff like full fat cheese. That can't be good. Thank you.

Elsi

I just wanted to update to say: I have stuck with my new weight training routine for the last 3 weeks and I AM ALREADY SEEING RESULTS. It's just 30 minutes 2x per week so far, and just with light dumbells and isometrics, but I already feel firmer.

This is a big victory for me, because I HATE weights. Hate, hate, hate them. I can do cardio for an hour no problem - or longer if I'm in shape. I used to run half marathons several times a year. With running or even my indoor machines, I can just put on a podcast or music and go. I'm in my own little world and don't have to pay a lot of attention to what my body is doing. But with weights, you have to actually focus and pay attention, and I find it boring as all get out. Plus, I just don't find it as motivating as trying to run a faster mile or up my distance. As a result, I have no upper body strength.

But I'm doing it, and I'm seeing results. So I'll keep it up. Maybe I'll try to add a third day. I think I'll move up to heavier dumbbells next week. (As in, five pounds and eight pounds instead of three pounds and five pounds - I am Superwoman! ;))

For anyone interested, I am using Lumowell videos on Amazon Prime. (I think they also have an app.) They are not fancy - cheesy animated Barbie doll accompanied by a badly translated computer voiceover - but somehow they are just what I need. No-frills, just lead you through the routine and tell you what to do and not do. A lot of combination exercises (e.g. squat/shoulder press or lunge/bicep curl), done in short intense bursts (40-50 seconds) followed by a few seconds rest and then switch to the next. In parts of it, my heart rate is higher than when I'm on the elliptical.

I figure I'll stick with these videos for a while and then maybe I'll be ready to start some more ambitious weight training in 2-3 months.

Nomad

Staff member
Congrats Elsi!
And, yes, yes, yes...I'm interested/curious! Lumowell videos on Amazon Prime. So...you go to Amazon Prime and use these videos? Are they free? Do they change a lot? How interesting!

Saw my doctor for my check up. Similar to my doctor in my previous city, she too is going concierge. Goodness. One has to pay a quarterly fee to get good service. Long story...might post.
Anyway...she has recently lost a lot of weight. Some of this is because she was sick. She said some of it is because she has followed the old Sugar Busters diet. I had the book and laughed because I gave it to Goodwill. A casualty of sorts. Obviously no sugar and I think no flour too and also no fruits high on the glycemic index. (This is what I recall but it was eons ago). She also mentioned that part of her new concierge service coming up in a few months (should I decide to participate) is sophisticated metabolism analyzing equipment and a fat loss/diet program. We will see.

My previous doctor in my former city said that especially since at the time I was on prednisone: 900 calories, no flour or sugar (super strict with that) and very little carb foods (like potato) and very little fruits high on the glycemic index. No sugary foods like cookies etc and no flour was a must. She guaranteed this would work. (Heck, now that I think about it...there might be a little similarity to what I think the Sugar Busters diet is all about) I kinda believe her. She guaranteed 900 calories....and what I said above would work. I rarely could do it though as the prednisone made me very hungry. We moved and I never got to talk with her about what my calories would be NOT on prednisone. I think not much more due to my age and height. Maybe 1000.

I should stop analyzing this to death and just dooooo something. I'm in a weird "place" and am NOT liking it.

Copabanana

900 calories, no flour or sugar (super strict with that) and very little carb foods (like potato) and very little fruits high on the glycemic index. No sugary foods like cookies etc and no flour was a must. She guaranteed this would work.
I eat this way and I lose nothing.(OK. Maybe half a pound a month.) But I sure feel better.

Nomad

Staff member
Copa: Feeling better and a slight weight loss that is a wanted weight loss are huge pluses!!!!

Going under 1000 calories I think was only because of varying difficult factors, particularly being on prednisone...then again I strongly suspect slender folks especially over 50 , eat like this rather often and just don’t realize it and if they do, many don’t want to publicize it.

Many in my in law family (Especially the women) I suspect eat an average of 1000 calories a day. So perhaps 900-1100. I do wish they wouldn’t be so rigid, especially in major holidays.

Last edited:

BusynMember

900 caloeies i too low even fpr shorty me. Your health isnt worth ten pounds. Unless ypu clear otbwith a doctor you need 1200 calories fpr nutrition!

I.just lost 20 lbs on one big meal a day, I am not hungry because I eat plenty pf calories (healthy usually) but dont restrict myself. I am very healthy. I think restrictions of any normal food can lead to an eating disorder from.what I have read about them..

Please be healthy. Sugar is fine to dump. Stevia is fine forfa sweetner. I eat whole wheat breads and flour but cheat. I am average to a nice bit not sick for my age build and am not trying to lose more weight. Just maintaining is fine.

Please watch out.

And if you cant run much anymore because ypu are nearing or over 60 and not just reaching 50 you can hurt yourself if tou work too hard. Listen to your body. Look up.Imtuitive Eating. Get a personal trainer that ypu lnow is good. They arent all the greatest, like all professions.

Love higs and ligjt!

Last edited:

Elsi

Lumowell videos on Amazon Prime. So...you go to Amazon Prime and use these videos? Are they free? Do they change a lot? How interesting!

Yep, they are free on amazon video if you are a Prime member. There are dozens of them - I haven’t even counted them all. But right now I’m just doing one - 30 minute whole body strength training with dumbbells. It is geared towards women, as evidenced by the animated Barbie doll used to demonstrate the exercises. (She’s not literally Barbie but similarly improbably proportioned, which does make me roll my eyes a bit.) I want to really master these moves and be able to do it all in good form at their pace before shaking it up. But there’s lots of variety in the videos, by time, focus area, etc. Like I said, don’t expect flashy production values. They are basic and straightforward. (“Next exercise...side lunge with bicep curl. Go.”) But I actually prefer that to listening to humans make the same dumb joke or throw out the same meaningless motivational phrases over and over again. I get tired of my yoga woman when I repeat the videos.

I absolutely agree with you on calorie counts for women as we get older. I think many of us find that we need surprisingly few calories - fewer than our doctors and weight loss apps tell us. I know my mom, who is small, eats very, very little, and follows a very strict diet with little deviation. So do other older women I know who manage to maintain their weight.

I think we’re getting to more consensus on a lot of these dietary recommendations. Reducing sugars and simple carbs seems to be a consistent must for weight loss, regardless of whether you brand the final result sugar busters, keto, paleo or something else. I focus mainly on getting really healthy stuff in me and avoiding inflammatory foods (which includes sugars and simple carbs) that trigger autoimmune flare ups for me.

I know I can’t eat as many calories as they say I’m ‘supposed’ to without gaining weight. So I really try to make sure the calories I do consume are packed with nutrition.

At least 80-90% of the time. We do need the occasional cheat, too. I think there is a balance we have to keep between thinking of food as fuel/medicine and remembering that it is also one of the basic pleasures in life.

BusynMember

Elsi...thats not what is recommended unless they checked in with their dotor. Many elderly are sick and dont have appetites but is that good?

I likewise know many older women, and I am one, and most eat normally or more. We shouldnt give our medical advice if we have no expertise. Some people take our opinions as knowledge. I am guilty of this too! I am not a doctor so my opinion or experience may be dangerous to yours! I should say that more often.

Some older people have diabetes and have to watch what they eat. Its common over 60. My ex has it. He has to watch what he eats, when he eats and what he can eat. Many elderly have special issues like this. None of us are too young anymore!!!

in my opinion i rhink we should preface all advice with I am not a professional. See one before buying this.They almost always do this on YouTube. It is a very good reminder!

We are giving our own opinions only.

I have studied eating disorders in detail because they run in my family and are in my opinion interesting AND scary. But this does NOT make me a professional of any kind in eating disorders.

But I never read that you dont need to hardly eat as you age. I actually read a bit of the opposite. That you need some padding when you are older because you leave yourself open to broken bones if you fall and are more frail.

Falling and breaking your hip is a huge cause of death as we get older.You can ask your doctor that. You should. We all should be mindful and aware of our health from one who.truly knows.

Before you decide low caloriie eating is safe for you ask somebody with real knowledge....your doctor. I did and was given an okay for 1000 calories but not 800. MANY anorecics who I follow restrict from 500 to 800 calories. They are sick, mentally ill. You need to eat more than an anorexic or at least find out if this is safe. Older women can develop anorexia. Its hard to kick. Some people like my uncle forever lived to stay skinny and obsess over food and exercise. It did not keep him frim getting very sick in his 60s and dying in a sad way. He probably thought he was making himself immune from bad illnesses.

I am only five feet tall or I dont know if I would have bern given the okay for 1000 calories. IIusually Alsohave more than that. Also to date (crossing fingers) I am very healthy for my age and she took this into consideration. You may have stuff going on that requireore food or being picky or you may have bad arthritis which I think.but am not sure requires calcium. Some people (vegans) cut out milk products. Many get early osteoarthritis. You dont want it, trust me. But at 40 an anorexic can have it. Or younger if severe.

We are never going to be young and hot again. Lets be safe and healthy and start by talking to our doctors. They know our bodies and issues in a clinical way. We dont.

To all my dear friends, please choose safe eatung over a few pounds. If you need to loose your doctor will tell you (they dont like obesity for health reasons) and either give you advice how to safely do it or refer you to somebody who can work out a SAFE diet with you with exercise YOUR body can handle! Not eating is not a good answer. Eating the calories of an anorexic? Some eat eben less than 800 but from listening to vlogs many who are in recovery and telling tjeor stories mention 800. 5-15 pervent of anorexics die. They are young. If you are 5'6 and eat 800 calories....how can your body sustain itself? Again ask doctor.

Love you all. Stay well!

XXX

Last edited: