First-time hospitalization

Tired out

Vonnie, I am so glad to hear that you are content with the care your son is receiving. I don't know where you live but, perhaps your state has a program for children with disabilities that would give him a summer placement program? It seems with this episode it proves that he needs the continuation of his program 12 months.
I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and I am wondering if some of these children are actually on the Autism spectrum and doctors have missed the diagnosis.

Sending prayers, hugs and luck your way.

Vonnie

Vonnie, I am so glad to hear that you are content with the care your son is receiving. I don't know where you live but, perhaps your state has a program for children with disabilities that would give him a summer placement program? It seems with this episode it proves that he needs the continuation of his program 12 months.
I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and I am wondering if some of these children are actually on the Autism spectrum and doctors have missed the diagnosis.

Sending prayers, hugs and luck your way.

Vonnie

Sorry, hit enter on accident!

Thanks so much for the prayers and hugs. We do have day treatment programs available in the summer, and we have one written into his service plan, but most programs won't take him because of his behaviors. That's the twisted irony: the kids who most need support can't get it. My older son is higher functioning, and we have tons of services for him because he's "easy." The son in the hospital, however, has no respite or habilitation in home because no one wants to work with him. It sucks.

Wiped Out

Staff member
When my son was younger he was hospitalized 6 times. The first time was when he was 7. The last when he was 12.

It was one of the hardest things we ever did but we knew we were doing the right thing. We never had to go the ambulance route.

Our son, other than wanting to come home actually enjoyed his visits. The hospital was amazing and kept him busy all of the time.

On a positive note, he is now 21 and doing well. During his last hospitalization they started a medication that has worked wonders for him.

Vonnie

I'm so glad to hear your son is doing well! I'm finding that you are right about the hospital keeping our kids busy. I met my son's hospital-based teacher yesterday and I love her. He also has speech and Occupational Therapist (OT) sessions daily. My son seems to like being there. He may not want to come home!