Hello

Crayola13

Kosher and vegan both? In my ignorance, I thought the Old Testament more or less required eggs, cheese, milk, and any type of meat except pork. I guess a low carb diet is impossible if you're doing vegan. It's hard to find kosher food in certain parts of the United States, but I often buy it when it's available, simply because I think the Old Testament dietary laws are the healthiest way to eat.

Sorry about your son. Like I said before, Israel is so much harsher with crime than we are here. I don't know what the drug situation is in Israel, but drugs have taken over our society and ruined millions of lives. Seventy percent of all crime in the United States is drug related.

I really hope your son learns from this and gets all straightened out. Please be good to yourself and take care of yourself.

Deni D

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
Staff member
200 Meters, your posts are so thought provoking. Your width, depth and sense of humor amaze me.

I've often said to myself that I feel like I fell down a rabbit hole when dealing with my son's logic, in the past his dads too, when he was not taking care of himself. In my world with the two of them I always know ~ when down is up, up is down, and inside is out, it's bipolar. Not that I don't still question myself, often, but there's only so much introspection one can bring into a situation before you figure out you just can't define things in a logical manner.

And that Dormouse, I've spoken with him often. I call it "word salad", a bunch of words strung together which sound like a sentence but make no sense in context of a situation.

I don't want to provoke another "ouch" from you but about the money thing, oh boy. I've been in similar situations with my son so no judgement here, but I've finally learned it will not stop until you say no. Your son is young, much harder with someone so young in my opinion, but still. The theme of the story is "I'm in grave danger and need money to keep these horrible people at bay", "I'm just a babe in the woods who doesn't actually know what I'm doing or how to deal so I've gotten trapped in their snare". This theme comes in when prior themes no longer work, like the "I'm so lost and confused theme" and the "You owe me theme".

Please be prepared for some version of this to crop up in the future. The bottom line with someone who wants to continue to do as they please and have us continue to be responsible for their every wrong move is they will become more and more creative to make that happen. I had gotten to the point of experiencing my son doing the absolute equivalent of shooting himself in the foot, seemingly on purpose, considering all of the warnings from me, and then turning to me and saying something to the effect of "okay now what are you going to do?" from a situation when he didn't get what he wanted, as if my inability to stop him was my responsibility and not his.

Your youngest is a real challenge, huge understatement, but from your posts if anyone has the right disposition to evolve and see this situation through it's you. I've been way too emotionally invested, or rather not grounded, I think you are grounded no matter what comes your way.

Wishing you the best.

200Meters

A real bustard
Copa, my quoting Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" got me to listen to their other early classic "Don't you want somebody to love?" on the way home yesterday and that, in turn, reminded me of something you posted, that I think affects all of us in one way or another. You said:

Copabanana said:
I think a large part of my despair is that in relation to my son I become somebody I don't recognize. Rather than calling upon the best I can be, my interactions with my son become degraded. I become defined by anger, by fear, by cynicism, by a kind of shame, by reactivity, by despair and blame, and by hopelessness. And I can't seem to get myself out of this, in relation to him. I am at the point where I can't tolerate any contact at all because I lose myself.

Thank you for the opportunity to get in touch with these feelings here on this thread. I feel tiny tears welling up. And I feel the pain behind the words. If I can feel the pain, the toxicity will drain, and I will be back to myself.

200meters, I don't know what to do. I am lost. When I feel this way I want to die. When I begin to feel this way and I write this here, I scare people. But I don't know what else to do.

You give and give to your boy. I don't have anything left.

The first two lines of the first stanza of "Don't you want somebody to love?" are:

"When the truth is found to be lies
And all the joy within you dies"

I remember the first time it hit us that Youngest was in serious, deep trouble. It felt like the ground was being ripped out from under our feet and that we were looking into an abyss. Perhaps more than anything else, I resent Youngest (and Oldest, he is not innocent here) for making me into something I am not, for forcing me to be something I hate. I am, by nature, trusting and I tend to be gullible. I want to believe people, especially our sons. Our sons! But I have had to go against my nature and become suspicious, skeptical and mistrustful. I cannot tell you how much I hate that, but I have no choice. To the lines from "Don't you want somebody to love?", it felt like something within us died when the police arrested him. The other lines of the first stanza are:

Don't you want somebody to love
Don't you need somebody to love
Wouldn't you love somebody to love
You better find somebody to love

If anything, dealing with this has brought Mrs. 200Meters & I closer together. We lean on and support each other and give each other strength. I couldn't do this without her.

Crayola13 said:
Kosher and vegan both? In my ignorance, I thought the Old Testament more or less required eggs, cheese, milk, and any type of meat except pork.

Why not kosher and vegetarian/vegan both. We are not required to eat meat, poultry and fish but if we want to, then we have to follow certain rules. No dairy and meat together. No pork. No rabbit. No shrimp or clams, etc. (This is a good, basic read on the Jewish dietary laws.)

Crayola13 said:
I really hope your son learns from this and gets all straightened out.

Thank you; so do we.

Crayola13 said:
Please be good to yourself and take care of yourself.

I can only promise to try. :)

Deni D said:
200 Meters, your posts are so thought provoking.

Thank you.

Deni D said:
Your width, depth and sense of humor amaze me.

BLUSHBLUSHBLUSH

Deni D said:
And that Dormouse, I've spoken with him often...

We all know our Dormouses...Dormice?

Deni D said:
I don't want to provoke another "ouch" from you but about the money thing...

I I hear you and I agree with you.

Deni D said:
Your youngest is a real challenge, huge understatement...

I might've said that he was a pain in the
220px-Donkey_1_arp_750px.jpg
but "challenge" also works. :)

Deni D said:
...but from your posts if anyone has the right disposition to evolve and see this situation through it's you.

Thank you.

Deni D said:
I think you are grounded no matter what comes your way.

If that is the case, it is thanks to Mrs. 200Meters (see above) and our faith in G-d.

Deni D said:
Wishing you the best.

Ditto!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
200 Meters:

I so agree with your analogies. I also like the way you describe yourself and your thoughts on life before your son went off the rails. That sounds like how I would have described myself prior to this "experience". I always looked for the good in people. I wanted to move on quickly from unpleasant situations and just get on "being happy".

These experiences truly change us forever. I know that even after surviving an alcoholic mother, two divorces (happily married to #3 for 28 years this August) and many other deep dark things, the hell we went through with our son made everything else seem like child's play.

I will say now that I'm on the other side of the madness, I am so very proud that husband and I survived and that my son survived. My childhood friend lost her son to a heroin overdose in July. She used to come to me for advice because I was the only one she knew who had a child that was going off the rails with legal problems, drug use and anything else he could get his hands on. My son never used H thankfully and in some ways I think we prevented that because we were on him like flint all the time and it was purely exhausting for us. It may not have been from anything we even did but maybe my constant prayers were heard. I don't know.

The only thing that I wish now looking back is that I would have taken better care of myself through all of it. It is so good when it brings you closer to your spouse. It can tear marriages apart too. I think that it brought us closer to in the end.

I think that you have a great way of looking at it all and your humor is priceless. This too shall pass.

Beta

Send me a private message & let's see if we can meet to eat though not for meat (that will be a feat that can't be beat). Seriously!

I will do that when we are close to leaving. Our departure date is April 29. It would be fun to meet you and your wife!

200Meters

A real bustard
RN0441 said:
These experiences truly change us forever.

Yes they do.

RN0441 said:
I think that you have a great way of looking at it all and your humor is priceless.

Thank you.

About the humor thing. That's just the way I am. If I were to become sullen and morose, that would mean that I'm beaten, that I've given up. That will never, ever happen.

I looked at our credit cards on the bank website just now. I have to do that on a regular basis because in years gone by, Oldest has used our card numbers without our knowledge and squandered alot of our money. (See what I mean when I said

200Meters said:
I resent Youngest (and Oldest, he is not innocent here) for making me into something I am not, for forcing me to be something I hate. I am, by nature, trusting and I tend to be gullible. I want to believe people, especially our sons. Our sons! But I have had to go against my nature and become suspicious, skeptical and mistrustful. I cannot tell you how much I hate that, but I have no choice.
)

Oldest must have copied one of our card numbers somehow and used it to order 2 pairs of shoes from Amazon for NIS 1,200 (around $350). I phoned the bank, cancelled that card and ordered a new one. I have to phone customer service on Sunday (a workday here) about cancelling the transaction. I told Mrs. 200Meters and phoned Oldest. I told him that it was effing chutzpah that he had the card number in the first place and used it without our knowledge. He said, "But Dad, I have the money and can pay you for the shoes." I told him that nobody related to me needs $175-a-pair shoes and that if he actually has the money, he should have paid us back some of the rent and utilities we pay for him. Arggh!

If Mrs. 200Meters & I go visit Yougest this Monday at 08:30 again, we will not do what we did last time, which is stay Sunday night with Oldest & his Lady-friend and then drive the much shorter distance from their place to the prison. Instead we will get up very early and leave our Jerusalem 'burb very early, in order to beat the Jerusalem rush hour traffic and minimize our entanglement in rush hour traffic in the center of the country, in order to be at the prison by 08:30.

RN0441

Agree that humor is the best gift we can have. I love to laugh. My husband still makes me laugh after all these years. We have fun together. I'm told that I'm pretty funny myself ;-)

I don't think our adult kids should be using our credit cards. My reformed youngest has his own and takes pride in ordering things on our Amazon Prime account using HIS card. He works at a coffee shop so doesn't make much money but can pay his truck payment and incidentals and sometimes husband helps him with gas money. He is in school full time for Computer Networking. I hope he can get a decent job and MOVE OUT. Cannot wait to have our empty nest again. I'll be 59 this year and so DONE with being a parent. Want to be hands off. LOL

200Meters

A real bustard
Lessee...

We saw Youngest this past Monday morning. We left our Jerusalem 'burb good and early, made very good time and got to the prison early enough for me to open the laptop and work a little before going in. A friend of his from our 'burb, who is doing her military service in Tel Aviv, took a bus up to meet us. We had a good but frustrating visit. Youngest was in good in enough spirits but as Mrs. 200Meters and I have always said & known, he is his own worst enemy. He always has to butt heads, says whatever is on his mind (he has yet to grasp the think-before-you-talk thing) and lacks any foresight. He told us that he got angry at the commander of his wing and cursed her, calling her the Hebrew equivalent of a son-of-a-:censored2:. He was pleased with himself as having been a tough-guy. He also lost the menial job he had putting plastic knives, forks and spoons, a napkin and tiny packets of salt and pepper in little sealable plastic packets because he took a few back to his room and they were found during a contraband search.

We are back in court on Wednesday, 26 February, for his appeal to the Jerusalem District Court, which is the next court up the food chain from the Jerusalem Magistrates Court, where his case was heard. The public defender will ask that Youngest's sentence be commuted to time served and that he be released. The pd (who doesn't work for us; Youngest is 19) has to do what he does but Mrs. 200Meters and I are not at all sure that this is the best thing for Youngest. On the contrary, he would come away thinking that he had played the system yet again. However, given Youngest's record, including his time spent in prison, we think that there is very little chance of this happening.

Youngest called us the next day and asked that we deposit NIS 500 ($145.69) into the canteen account of someone else whom Youngest says he has been borrowing from. We told him absolutely not. He has not called today yet.

After our prison visit, Mrs. 200Meters & I dropped Youngest's friend back at her base in Tel Aviv and then drove to here to see the lupines. We were there last year at this time and the the lupines, which were in full bloom, were absolutely stunning. (The hill is identified with Socoh, near where King Saul & the Israelite army camped opposite the Philistines, ahead of David's punch-up with Goliath, which took place in the Elah Valley below; see I Samuel 17. You can see the brook that David took the stones for his sling from; it's the only one in the area.) But, alas, we were too early & all the lupines were still in bud. We'll go back in 2 weeks or so; hopefully they will be in bloom by then. But we had a nice hike and then went to this restaurant for a very nice lunch.

Oldest is due to start a new job (as a cashier at a large butcher shop almost across the street from where he and his Lady-friend are living). We will see how that goes, hopefully well.

BusynMember1

Hi, 200 Meters.

Ah....your son. My daughter. All of us with kids of all ages who don't accept rules!

If only they heard God. I have felt the Divine. I believe we all carry it within us but we have to be still and hear it and so far our kids have not. Will not. But they could at any time.

I pray for your boys to hear. To know. To stop fighting the good in them. I pray this for all of our struggling kids. And for those of us who are so jaded that we too have shut down and no longer trust God.

Have a peaceful day. Blessings and love sent.

200Meters

A real bustard
Well, we were in court, the Jerusalem District Court, yesterday but Youngest wasn't.

Youngest phoned us Tuesday night & said that the guards at his prison had informed him that there was no permit/work-order/whatever for them to bring him to court the next day. We WhatsApped the pd who replied that at that hour there was nothing he could do but that we should be in touch with him the next morning, yesterday. Court was supposed to be at 10:00. He spoke to the Prison Service yesterday morning and was told what Youngest told us. He repeated this to the judge who was a bit miffed especially since the court computer said that the Prison Service had been duly informed. The judge ordered that a) we meet again next Wednesday, 4 March, at 13:00, b) that the court secretary make sure that the Prison Service was informed, and c) that the Prison Service explain itself as to why Youngest had not been brought yesterday, this by Sunday (a workday here).

Grrr...

Beta

Ah yes...the wheels of justice. It's a wonder anything ever gets resolved. Everything is SLOWWWWW.
Sorry for the frustrating glitch. "Peter" doesn't always inform "Paul" about what's going on. (Sorry for the mixed metaphors :)

RN0441

Keep us posted. So glad you are able to get off work to come back when they screw up!

200Meters

A real bustard
Beta said:
Ah yes...the wheels of justice. It's a wonder anything ever gets resolved. Everything is SLOWWWWW.

The phrase "Justice delayed is justice denied" has yet to percolate down to the courts here.

RNO441 said:
So glad you are able to get off work to come back when they screw up!

I am very fortunate that my work is flexible that way.

Youngest phoned last night and blithely asked that we go to a postal bank and deposit NIS 500 ($143.19) into the canteen account of some other prisoner on whose account he (Youngest) has been buying stuff, apparently lots of stuff. We informed him that since money does not, in fact, grow on one of the trees in the yard, we could deposit NIS 500 but that when we visit him on Thursday we would not be able to buy him the customary 2 cartons of cigarettes and phone cards (which actually cost more than NIS 500). We told him it was his choice. He got angry, asked us to please pay the NIS 500 and said that we need not come to visit him, as if the only reason he wanted to see us was to receive cigarettes and phone cards. Brat.

I stopped at a post office on my way to work and paid the NIS 500. Then Youngest phoned and said that some of his friends would be calling us and would give us money and could we use it to buy cigarettes and phone cards when wecome to visit him on Thursday morning (assuming the Jerusalem District Court doesn't spring him, which we cannot see happening, on Wednesday). If it is not our money, what do we care?

Tomorrow is election day, our 3rd in the past year (don't get me started). It is also a public holiday. We might, after voting, go see if the lupines are in bloom (see my February 20 post) and then go see Oldest and his ladyfriend. The cashier thing at the butcher shop didn't work out. Oldest says that he will be starting at a juice bar tomorrow. Sometimes I wonder how much we can actually believe him about these jobs that he seems unable to hold. It is hard because he lives in another part of the (admittedly small, but still) countty and we cannot check on him.

Crayola13

When it comes to cigarettes, I would have said hell no. Just out of curiosity, what is the culture regarding cigarettes like in Israel? We don't like them here.

Also, if your son had committed that crime in the U. S. he would have been released months ago. We have a very high crime rate here because everyone gets out of jail unless they do something violent like murder.

BusynMember1

I was thinking the same about cigarettes.

I won't help my kids smoke. Kay was the only one who smoked.

I hope your son, in general, comes around...he is still very young. G-d bless. You have the gift of time.

200Meters

A real bustard
Crayola13 said:
When it comes to cigarettes, I would have said hell no.

My wife and I do not smoke & never have. We think it's disgusting.

However...

Youngest smokes but not that much (i.e. 2 cartons worth). Since money (i.e. bills and coins, actual currency) is contraband in prisons here and will be confiscated if found, prisoners use cigarettes as a kind of scrip. He uses them to "buy" things, pay debts, etc. About trying to persuade him to give up smoking, we'll fight that battle once he is out of the hoosegow, when we won't be giving him so much as a penny for the damn things.

Crayola13 said:
Just out of curiosity, what is the culture regarding cigarettes like in Israel? We don't like them here.

Becoming more and more anti. Smoking is banned in restaurants, workplaces, in government buildings, on public transportation, etc., etc.

Yesterday was election day here. (Don't get me started.) Mrs. 200Meters went to see the lupines, which were in full, glorious, intensely blue, bloom. We had a nice hike. Then we went here to walk around before heading home.

Tomorrow we are due back in court. I will keep everyone posted.

Copabanana

Dear 200Meters. I don't know how but I lost track of this thread for a couple weeks and I am sorry. I want to thank you so much for your caring and thoughtfulness. With this:
"Don't you want somebody to love?" are:

"When the truth is found to be lies
And all the joy within you dies"
This brought tears. While I would not have wanted you or anyone to suffer this, I feel grateful to not be here in this place alone.
I am, by nature, trusting and I tend to be gullible. I want to believe people, especially our sons. Our sons!
I am like this too.

Thank you for sharing with us your visits to the lupines, and that delightful lunch.

I agree with the others, about putting money on the books for his cigarettes and debts. I recognize he wants it, but the money can be leverage to victimize and manipulate him too. It does not protect him. I believe he is served by working these things out himself, and thereby learning from his experience. I would recommend putting a nominal amount on his books on a regular basis, that you determine, in advance, and not according to his emergency requests. I worked many years in prison. There's a lot of victimization that happens around money on books. And people get themselves in trouble. There's extortion. And gambling. And drugs. Etc.

Plus. I will say it again. Everything you say about youngest, he sounds capable and headstrong. Why fuel him?

I am always happy when you post 200Meters. All in all things sound good with you. I won't ask about the election, but I'm curious.

200Meters

A real bustard
Copabanana said:
This brought tears.

:eek: Um, sorry. :semi-twins:

Copabanana said:
I feel grateful to not be here in this place alone.

Ditto several times over! If we all had to go through this alone, that would be horrid.

I note and appreciate what you say about Youngest and cigarettes in the clink but will respectfully disagree.

Copabanana said:
I am always happy when you post 200Meters

Ditto!

Well, we were at the Jerusalem District Court today, sort of.

I was looking at an earlier version of this story on my phone & was about to walk into the court building (Mrs. 200Meters was already inside; she came from her place of work & I came from mine) when the PD called me and told me that he was at that soccer game & sat in section 425!!! He said that he was going home to self-quarantine himself & wouldn't be coming to court. I happened to see the presiding judge (cases in the district courts here are heard by a panel of three judges; there are no juries here) in the hallway & told her what the PD had told me. She told us to go into court. The prosecutor was there & a stenographer/secretary. The judge said that either we had to do this tomorrow (Thursday, 5 February) or it would have to wait until after Passover (which is in 5 weeks) as her court docket was chockablock full. So, she tentatively set a discussion for 10:30 tomorrow and told the secretary and us to call the Jerusalem PD's office & see if they could rustle up a substitute PD, who would then have to call our PD to get brought up to speed, on such short notice. She said if the PD's office couldn't, we would have to wait until after Passover. We spoke to the PD's office, which had already been informed by our PD, and was working on it. Then the PD's office called me back & said that our PD did not have to self-quarantine (because, if you look at the foregoing link, the number of people at that soccer game who must self-quarantine has been considerably narrowed) after all & would be in court at 10:30 tomorrow. Then Youngest's PD WhatsApped me to say that he managed to get the judge to give us until Monday, 9 March, at 12:30, when she must've found some time to squeeze us in.

As Mrs. 200Meters and were in court waiting for her honor to figure out what we would be doing, I realized that I knew this judge from a news report I had seen. She will also be the presiding judge over the impending corruption trial of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. She obviously wants to finish up all her little cases (such as Youngest's, who seemed to be in good spirits, in his orange jumpsuit, and leg-irons) before she starts what will be the trial of her career.

What a soap opera!

Since we are not in court tomorrow, Mrs. 200Meters & I will get up very early & go off to visit Youngest at 08:30, and then turn around & drive back to Jerusalem & go to work.

Copabanana

I've got whiplash from this post. Several times over. This:
our PD did not have to self-quarantine
And this:
She will also be the presiding judge over the impending corruption trial of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
And this:
in his orange jumpsuit, and leg-irons
Oy vey.
What a soap opera!
Yes.

200Meters. What is your sense of the Coronavirus not yet called Pandemic? I live in the middle of California. I am freaked out, buying multiple bottles of hand sanitizer and gallons and gallons of water and stocking up on food. (I think I watch too much news.) Friends living in coastal cities are sanguine. They have done nothing and don't think it's a big deal. What's your take everybody?