BusynMember

Lbl, asking the Universe to keep blessing your family.

It was two years before we belieed Daughters transformation was real. We were afraid and jaded and had been fooled and lied to. The good days turned into months and then years. On her own, jobs, college (took out a loan and ask if I cried at graduafion!), her buying a home with SO, her precious baby...getting back her healthy glow and normal weight. She never told us "I am quitting." She just did it. And it scared my mommy heart. I was afraid, like so often before, it would all fall apart in one day. But it never did.

You are doing this in the very best wsy in my opinion. You set strong boundaries when he is still very young and not steeped in addiction for a decade or more. I believe it is easier for them to change while they are still very young. That often we are afraid to hit hard on a teen or young twenty. But the young age is a pliable age. The older they are on a rough path, the slower changes happen.

You had so much courage. Not had. Have. Yet you have always operated from a place of unconditional love. Your son sees this, knows this.

I am crossing every body part I have that this sticks. Honor today, now, by doing something very nice for yourself! Tons of love and light!

ColleenB

LBL....

We are in the same boat... Son has been with us since the car accident Sunday and he is saying he is staying. If he isn’t dealing he can’t pay rent and he is saying he wants to be clean and going to school.

I am so hopeful for you. I know how this feels. It’s so scary and I know how it hurts when things go crashing down. I pray this really is a new beginning for them both.

Hugs xoxo

Copabanana

lbl. this is a beautiful development.

i am so touched by son.

remember this: this vulnerable, tender and sensitive young man, trying to stay close to his parents and be what they raised him to be--is the real him.

he may or may not be able to achieve lasting sobriety this time.

but you and your husband no matter what will know he is still there. your son. who loves you.

i know all of us are praying. but no matter what. it will not be as bad again as it was.

you have done so well. and he responded. a conversation. that is what changed. night and day.

Kathy813

Staff member
I hate to be the spoilsport but I have never seen a contract work in the twelve years I have been a member of this board. After all, if our kids were the kind of kids that would follow rules they wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place.

Having said that, you need to do what you feel is right in your heart. It probably won't work but at least you will know that you gave it a shot. Maybe your son will surprise me.

I truly hope so.

~Kathy

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Thanks Copa and Kathy. It’s ironic that we document the agreement becuse we know they will most likely not be able to abide by it.

That being said we had an amazing conversation this evening. He set the table withlout being asked and he gave me an in depth view of his world and his reason for drugging. He also explained why he no longer wants to live the easy he was living. He recognizes his memory lapses and it frightens him.

He admitted to having 2 recent censures lately and also a very bad come down from Xanax.

He is seeing social work and counselor at school. His grades are all above passing and continue to improve.

He said he got heavily into Leans. I didn’t know what these were I had to look it up. Again frightening.

He has a better network of support that’s jsut his out patient rehab counselor. She is a nice but not very effective lady.

He speaks of school with a new found sense of pride and accomplishment.

I only hope he can continue with his outpatient rehab and be strong enough to avoid a back slide into the drugs again.

After looking up Leans, it’s no wonder we could never wake him up.
Lean Back: The Dangers of Drinking “Lean”

Copabanana

let me say this again because i need to hear it.

this is about us just as much as them. our own learning.

i agree with kathy that you do this for you.

he did not like that taste of the real world. he knows you require his sobriety. that does not mean he has the skills to sustain it.

the locus of control is still in you. not him. that shift needs to happen. still. where he locates the want and power in him. that is true for my own son too. even though he's a decade older.

but that does not take away that he was sober for a few days and for right now he is taking steps. and it is bearing fruit.

this is a process. both recovery and maturation. for me there can be no absolutes.

Sam3

Is there something in the air?

I am in awe following these developments with your son and Copa’s.

And I think Copas approach to it is a healthy perspective.

Being prepared for the negative shouldn’t make us bulletproof and prepared only for the negative.

Warrior hearts don’t shrink with wisdom.

ColleenB

I know taking our son back home again can look to others like enabling, but like you , we see some real desire to change and even if he falls again, which is probably will, we will always be willing to try if he picks himself back up. We are however only willing if he shows effort and desire.

We are seeing New things in our Son also... he wants to be home ( very new and not like he used to be) and is saying he needs us right now.

As a mother I cannot turn my back no matter how many times he has disappointed us.

Southern51

I hope this is the beginning of the end. I'm in a similar position with my son... wondering if this is really it. I hope it is. What can we do more than hope, in the end?
Hope, and wait, and hope. It's hard not knowing whether it truly is it. Waiting for something to go wrong. But, still... nothing to do but hope. Take care.

Littleboylost

Well it has been an interesting 36 hours. You see we have never made it 3 days into a promise or an agreement with AS before the wheels fall of. We made it from Tuesday to Friday. Friday I was a train wreck.

We have NEVER made it through a weekend! I was a jangled ball of nerves. I slept so full of stress that I ached from head to toe when I woke up. AS came home before curfew. Appeared sober and clean. Chated with us and went to bed.

He got up today and hung around the house and was pleasant and social. He asked for a ride to drop off an application at a local restaurant, I obliged. He came out smiling ear to ear, he was hired and starts next week.

Hope and no expectations, living in the now and appreciating today. I really need to get the PTSD in check though. He has never kept a job for longer than 3 months. So here is hoping for another record setting event.

I am not sure how to cope with the tension and distress I have. So often relapse occurs. Even 4-5 months down the road.

Littleboylost

I hope this is the beginning of the end. I'm in a similar position with my son... wondering if this is really it. I hope it is. What can we do more than hope, in the end?
Hope, and wait, and hope. It's hard not knowing whether it truly is it. Waiting for something to go wrong. But, still... nothing to do but hope. Take care.
Hi Southern I hope things are going well for you and your son.

Copabanana

lbl. i feel you. my anxiety is sky high, too.

close to unbearable.

i feel like i want to be with my son 24 hours not to keep him safe but to reassure myself he is.

my son has more issues than yours. i guess in part because of so much water under the bridge. will he recover to what he was like even 8 years ago? because his life has been so hard in the interim.

and i am worlds different. a different woman. confidence in life is shaken. feel everything 100x more. fearful. shell-shocked. vulnerable.

so this is the point i'm getting to.

that this is about me. that what is being revealed here is a level of me-- that i can learn to view as an opportunity. to find ways to calm myself. center myself. be in my body in a new, better, grounded, stronger and rooted way.

this is not in the main about my son.

look lbl. let's say son keeps job past the 3 mo mark and gets to 6 mos without relapse? life is still contingent. can you watch him all night like he was in his crib, to see he is still breathing?

as long as the vulnerability and potential dyscontrol control are in them...we are the powerless ones. no wonder we are in agony.

i spoke to a somatic therapist today. maybe i'll go be around horses to learn to calm and connect to myself. maybe i will return to dance. i don't know. i will travel 3 or 4 hours to see her.

but as long as we stand next to the crib and listen to their breathing we will stay nuts.

there has to be the place where we have resources to permit them to struggle and be and we can still feel and breathe and function.

that capacity has to be in us and not contingent on them. we deserve that. and so do they.

i'm right here with you.

Littleboylost

lbl. i feel you. my anxiety is sky high, too.

close to unbearable.

Oh my friend. I felt that clutch my chest. We need to breath and let it be what it so. Easier said than done.

i feel like i want to be with my son 24 hours not to keep him safe but to reassure myself he is.
Oh I know exactly what Roy mean.

my son has more issues than yours. i guess in part because of so much water under the bridge. will he recover to what he was like even 8 years ago? because his life has been so hard in the interim.

Where there is life there is hope no expectations to bring us down but Holn on and pray your son has been enduring this tangle with his demons far longer than my AS at 18 he has squandered 3 precious years drugging and not developing. My heart aches for the time you and your son have been trapped in this nightmare.

and i am worlds different. a different woman. confidence in life is shaken. feel everything 100x more. fearful. shell-shocked.

I am in the PTSD zone right with you.

that this is about me. that what is being revealed here is a level of me-- that i can learn to view as an opportunity. to find ways to calm myself. center myself. be in my body in a new, better, grounded, stronger and rooted way.

I am refocusing on healing me! I have been interrupted ....yet again.

look lbl. let's say son keeps job past the 3 mo mark and gets to 6 mos without relapse? life is still contingent. can you watch him all night like he was in his crib, to see he is still breathing?
I do hope and pray that he progresses. He is young and his brain is scrabbled and stuck at 14. Hard to reconcile with the 6’ 4” 18 year old I see. His behaviour is stunted with the drug use. In time he will develop.

as long as the vulnerability and potential dyscontrol control are in them...we are the powerless ones. no wonder we are in agony.

Oh Copa indeed we are powerless over their choices. Neve the less my little red wagon is hitched along for the ride.

A dear friend in Sourhern California just informed me that her step son had relapsed after 8 years of sobriety doctor is meth. What a tragedy. And yes your are right, we are powerless. We feel the agony so much more than our addicts. They are anesthetised, we are stone cold sober and present.

i spoke to a somatic therapist today. maybe i'll go be around horses to learn to calm and connect to myself. maybe i will return to dance. i don't know. i will travel 3 or 4 hours to see her.

That sound delightful. We have horse farms North of us and I feel calm just driving and observing these majestic beast.

but as long as we stand next to the crib and listen to their breathing we will stay nuts.

I hear you. I need to stay nuts at the moment and check for breathing. I also recognize that I must eventually step back and let it be. He has the capacity to manage ....or not.

there has to be the place where we have resources to permit them to struggle and be and we can still feel and breathe and function.

Oh I am so looking for that place. In time regardless of his outcome I will need this space or it will be me who doesn’t survive

that capacity has to be in us and not contingent on them. we deserve that. and so do they.

Yes indeed it does. Leading by example if a good life is healthy for us and our AS.

i'm right here with you.

How is your son?

Copabanana

he is waiting to see if he was accepted into the tx facility. he was honest and told the admissions person he had past suicidal ideation.she told him that was a red flag. he did call back to clarify the si was in the past. she will talk to the director. they only take 2/10 applicants.

my heart sunk. but i told him i thought transparency was for the best. that we have to be real in order to heal. and he would benefit most from a place that would accept him as his life has been. so he could accept himself.

my son has vulnerabiliies in response to which i feel very anxious. he has body dysmorphia about a slightly receding hairline. which he feels is gravely disfiguring. outside of the house or around almost all people he wears a hoody.

like your son j is very physically attractive. but his lifestyle and vulnerability (and dress) affect how he looks. this pains me.

and he believes in conspiracy theories. like pizzagate and the illuminati. i read that like half of republicans in my country believe in pizzagate. and a quarter of democrats! but it still makes me crazy.

he is very much better about containing it. for awhile a couple of years ago i would not speak to him if he spoke of these themes.

he did make calls yesterday to work out issues with his medical insurance, that were barriers to entering treatment.

people like my son a lot. he can be very charming. he is warm. and highly articulate.

the neighborhood where he is living in our other house is working class. people hail him warmly and seem happy he is back. hey j. and he greets them warmly with an embrace. and because he speaks 3 languages he can talk to almost anybody.

this kind of warmth, openness, and comfort with people is uncommon in our culture where i live. at the same time he now feels uncomfortable or inferior to people he sees as superior, like university students.

j described where he was living in the city as "classist." he will not accept that their reaction is related to the way he looks and acts.

but it pains me because he identiies with vulnerable people like homeless. duh. he was homeless. (well. i am pretty open too. so there's that).

every time he leaves here where he is on his own he comes back vulnerable. but he is calm. less aggressive. mostly. trying to appease. mostly. and clearly trying to do things to please me.

m is frustrated because my son is a slob and cannot be bothered to maintain things clean. leaves a mess. and is inconsiderate.

we are upper middle class people. at least i am. and my son looks scuzzy. like borderline street person. it is not that i care for me. it is that i don't want him to suffer, feel vulnerable or be rejected.

today m pointed out a sign that said no entrance with hoods.

i may delete this post after you read it. it makes me feel vulnerable.

thank you for asking.

Last edited:

ColleenB

Copa I’m glad you were vulnerable... makes me feel less ashamed for some of th things I feel too. My son too looks so much different than the family he was raised in and I feel pain when I see the look in peoples eyes. My son used to be so clean cut and attractive. He still is in some ways but much harder and older looking. Drugs and alcohol are not kind.

I am tiptoeing around my home this weekend LBL... we too have never made it an entire weekend without partying or some
Kind of drama. Son spent the entire day with us yesterday just hanging out... watching Netflix. It may have been the first time that has happened in years. He usually can’t wait to get away from us... he is usually so anxious around us. Hoping it really is sobriety. He has either been with us, in school or with his supportive friends since the Monday after Sunday and the car accident. He is trying. I can see that. But I’m still terrified and guarded.

I am not the person I was five years ago.... I am tired... oh so tired. And I am bitter If I’m being totally honest. I feel like this whole thing is unfair. I stayed home, I have a strong marriage, we provided all the opportunities a kid could need, I didn’t indulge in material things ..... I did what I was supposed to do. Why my son? I know that sounds whinny and self absorbed. I feel that I am selfish and jealous at times. I want to scream and yell at my son some days and then I see how broken he is and I melt. How did this happen? I can’t even tell you.

So ladies.... I feel your pain, your anxiety. I don’t know what I would do without these boards and the ability to vent and share.

Hugs xoxo

Littleboylost

he is waiting to see if he was accepted into the tx facility. he was honest and told the admissions person he had past suicidal ideation.she told him that was a red flag. he did call back to clarify the si was in the past. she will talk to the director. they only take 2/10 applicants.

I am truly hoping he is accepted. Keep us posted.

my heart sunk. but i told him i thought transparency was for the best. that we have to be real in order to heal. and he would benefit most from a place that would accept him as his life has been. so he could accept himself.

This is so very true and so very important.

my son has vulnerabiliies in response to which i feel very anxious. he has body dysmorphia about a slightly receding hairline. which he feels is gravely disfiguring. outside of the house or around almost all people he wears a hoody.

Oh this is so difficult. They see what they see. They do not see themselves as we see them. Vulnerable and in pain. A lot of the reason they turn to numbing substances.

like your son j is very physically attractive. but his lifestyle and vulnerability (and dress) affect how he looks. this pains me.

Oh I am with you there. Of late my son has gotten back into proper grooming habits but at times he has been so disheveled and unclean. It is heart breaking to see.

and he believes in conspiracy theories. like pizzagate and the illuminati. i read that like half of republicans in my country believe in pizzagate. and a quarter of democrats! but it still makes me crazy.

Oh the theorists are far and wide. If one tends ever so slightly to the paranoid of suspicious, the internet is not their friend. So much misinformation and paranoia spreads so easily. I believe it is best to ignore vs engage in situations like this.

he is very much better about containing it. for awhile a couple of years ago i would not speak to him if he spoke of these themes.

he did make calls yesterday to work out issues with his medical insurance, that were barriers to entering treatment.

A plan how fabulous. A goal and a direction are critical factors in recovery. Something to pull them out of their focus on substance use.

people like my son a lot. he can be very charming. he is warm. and highly articulate.

My son is so much the same way. I find what makes me the saddest is to know his intellectual potential and see that he has no faith in his own intelligence. He has not graduated highschool yet. So much more potential than he recognizes. My son is very well liked and very personable.

the neighborhood where he is living in our other house is working class. people hail him warmly and seem happy he is back. hey j. and he greets them warmly with an embrace. and because he speaks 3 languages he can talk to almost anybody.

How amazing 3 languages. And I hope he feels the sense of warmth and inclusions he is receiving upon his return.

this kind of warmth, openness, and comfort with people is uncommon in our culture where i live. at the same time he now feels uncomfortable or inferior to people he sees as superior, like university students.

Again the self doubt and vulnerability, it pains my heart when I see this in my son as well.

j described where he was living in the city as "classist." he will not accept that is the way he looks and acts.

but it pains me because he identiies with vulnerable people like homeless. duh. he was homeless. (well. i am pretty open too. so there's that).

When they see and feel their existence and it is in such conflict to what we see. There in this void is where the pain lies for both our sons and ourselves. If I could fix this dichotomy I could fix his world and mine. Sadly life doesn’t work like that does it.

every time he leaves here where he is on his own he comes back vulnerable. but he is calm. less aggressive. mostly. trying to appease. mostly. and clearly trying to do things to please me.

There must be a reason, a bond, a connection or he would not try at all. Perhaps this is the lifeline that will pull him theory a life of homeless dispair and aid him in finding his rightful comfortable place in this world.

m is frustrated because my son is a slob and cannot be bothered to maintain things clean. leaves a mess. and is inconsiderate.

That is a great frustration of my S as well regarding AS. I see the lack of ability to be aware of tidiness and apprent lack of concern as an extension of their inability to care for themselves in general. One will not inproce without the other. I see beyond the frustration and feeling that it is inconsiderate and see it as a lack of capacity. It is a state of their current psyche. Wich is why living in the street does not bother them the way it bothers us. They identify therefore rhey are this downtrodden chaotic mess.

we are upper middle class people. at least i am. and my son looks scuzzy. like borderline street person. it is not tgat i care for me. it is that i don't want him to suffer, feel vulnerable or be rejected.

Oh this pulls at my heart. A woman was so disrespectful to my son. My sons last GFs mother. She called my son “Trailer Trash”. Of course her daughter is in no better shape but she blames this on my son of course. Her daughter has been mentally unstable and drugging long before my son came along. I have always felt “but for the grace of God, Allah, (insert higher power of choice) there go I”. We have no right to Judge others, we have no right to be critical and use derogatory names to humiliate people. I gave her a piece of my mind and then I regretted engaging with her. I think people react in offensive ways out of fear a lot of the time. It pained and shamed me deeply to know that this is what people think of my son.

today m pointed out a sign that said no entrance with hoods.

I have come to loath the Hooide. It symbolizes a culture I wish my sone did not associate with.

i may delete this post after you read it. it makes me feel vulnerable.

Delete as you wish and I shall do the same. I feel no shame here and it strengthens me to be among all of you, with no judgement.

I am a strong academic as is my husband. We live in an area with a high cost of living. We live in a nice town House. We refuse to over mortgage our selves and what I own does not make me who I am. I came from very bible roots as did my husband. We have gained educations independently and we have traveled and expanded our minds. I would rather see and learn things than “have things”. Many people around us value their “stuff” to define them. Between my sons current state, and the insecure “stuff Collectors”; I do hope he finds a secure and happy life for himself.

thank you for asking.

Be kind and good to yourself.

Littleboylost

Is there something in the air?

I am in awe following these developments with your son and Copa’s.

And I think Copas approach to it is a healthy perspective.

Being prepared for the negative shouldn’t make us bulletproof and prepared only for the negative.

Warrior hearts don’t shrink with wisdom.

Oh my heart came so close to breaking before I learned the way of the warrior moms. It is amazing rhe capacity of the human heart.