My son passed away last week

Nandina

My dear friends on CD,

I am so sad to tell you that my son died last week of what we suspect is an accidental drug overdose. It happened the day before my birthday and five days before Christmas. We are devastated. He was actually doing well and had been clean for a couple months.

But the meth that he had been doing on a somewhat regular basis had done great damage to his brain. He was tortured by the voice in his head and feared that others could hear his thoughts. It was a strange existence because other than that he was the most coherent and clear-headed I had seen him in five years. We thought things were going well. We were pleased that he was getting mental health treatment which he chose to do on his own.

He knew that he had to stay away from meth because of what it had done to his mind. He had recently been put on medication for schizoaffective disorder and spent 5 days in a behavioral health center. He was feeling better after he was released. He spent the next few days here and that was just 3 days before he died.

He had been spending weekends with us and was really trying, for once in his life, to follow rules, help around the house, etc. He was doing well. We had an agreement that he had to stay off the streets in order to have this living arrangement. He had been spending weeknights at the shelter as far as I knew. During all this time I was trying desperately to help him find some form of transitional housing.

But last time he left here he apparently didn’t stay at the shelter and was found unconscious on a street in our town three days later. Paramedics administered Narcan and he was revived briefly but was unable to stay conscious and passed. He had no ID or phone on him although he did when he left here. It is a wonder they even found me, considering, but a police officer recognized him and knew he had been at the mental hospital where I was listed as his contact.

I have received such great support here on CD and I don’t know what I would have done without it during these past five years since my son left home two weeks after his 18th birthday. Knowing people here who understand has been so helpful along with counseling, and just recently we had joined an al anon group.

My husband and I and our two other adult children are grief-stricken and we appreciate any prayers you can offer. Thank you.

Love, Nandina

Crayola14

I’m so sorry. It sounds like things had been greatly improving and going in the right direction. Maybe there was a stressor that suddenly affected him. It’s a terrible shock. I’ll light a prayer candle for you and your family today.

Nomad

Staff member
I am so sorry. I know you tried very hard to provide help in any way that you could. I will definitely pray for you and your family. (((Hugs)))

lovemysons

Dearest Nandina…
You know I know the devastation the shock the pain. I am so sorry you are experiencing this with me. Your life will never be the same again. I don’t know what that will mean for you.
I’m glad you saw your son trying on his last days. I saw glimpses of it in my son too.
Like yours mine was addicted to Meth as well. It plays hideous tricks with the mind.
My son was also found without his phone, only 3 dollars to his name and no shoes on his feet on a very cold Thanksgiving morning as he was hit by a vehicle while in the highway. I actually think he was trying to get back home.

I will say prayers for you and your other 2 children. This is so very sad to read.

With loving and caring thoughts for you,
Tammy

Nandina

Dearest Nandina…
You know I know the devastation the shock the pain. I am so sorry you are experiencing this with me. Your life will never be the same again. I don’t know what that will mean for you.
I’m glad you saw your son trying on his last days. I saw glimpses of it in my son too.
Like yours mine was addicted to Meth as well. It plays hideous tricks with the mind.
My son was also found without his phone, only 3 dollars to his name and no shoes on his feet on a very cold Thanksgiving morning as he was hit by a vehicle while in the highway. I actually think he was trying to get back home.

I will say prayers for you and your other 2 children. This is so very sad to read.

With loving and caring thoughts for you,
Tammy
Yes, Tammy, we are together in our grief. Thank you for your prayers and kind thoughts.

february

My dear friends on CD,

I am so sad to tell you that my son died last week of what we suspect is an accidental drug overdose. It happened the day before my birthday and five days before Christmas. We are devastated. He was actually doing well and had been clean for a couple months.

But the meth that he had been doing on a somewhat regular basis had done great damage to his brain. He was tortured by the voice in his head and feared that others could hear his thoughts. It was a strange existence because other than that he was the most coherent and clear-headed I had seen him in five years. We thought things were going well. We were pleased that he was getting mental health treatment which he chose to do on his own.

He knew that he had to stay away from meth because of what it had done to his mind. He had recently been put on medication for schizoaffective disorder and spent 5 days in a behavioral health center. He was feeling better after he was released. He spent the next few days here and that was just 3 days before he died.

He had been spending weekends with us and was really trying, for once in his life, to follow rules, help around the house, etc. He was doing well. We had an agreement that he had to stay off the streets in order to have this living arrangement. He had been spending weeknights at the shelter as far as I knew. During all this time I was trying desperately to help him find some form of transitional housing.

But last time he left here he apparently didn’t stay at the shelter and was found unconscious on a street in our town three days later. Paramedics administered Narcan and he was revived briefly but was unable to stay conscious and passed. He had no ID or phone on him although he did when he left here. It is a wonder they even found me, considering, but a police officer recognized him and knew he had been at the mental hospital where I was listed as his contact.

I have received such great support here on CD and I don’t know what I would have done without it during these past five years since my son left home two weeks after his 18th birthday. Knowing people here who understand has been so helpful along with counseling, and just recently we had joined an al anon group.

My husband and I and our two other adult children are grief-stricken and we appreciate any prayers you can offer. Thank you.

Love, Nandina
I am so sorry for your son's passing, it is so hard to loose a child even though our kids were troubled and needed much help. I use to be in this group for many years, then I lost my son to a fentanyl overdose July 2022. I am feeling the impact and wish I could have my son back. But like said their suffering is over to this horrible disease of addiction and mental health. I now follow a group on Facebook called (Notinvain) for mother's that have lost their kids to substance abuse etc. Sending you lots of love and peace. Funny how after a long time of not being in this group and today I sign in and see your post. Love, Richard's Mom.

lovemysons

Nandina I belong to a facebook group called Compassionate friends loss of an adult child. You have to put in your child’s full name and date of death in order for them to verify you belong. I think you would feel less alone in your grief if you join. I know I do.
No one but no one who has lost a child like this knows the pain you and I suffer.
For the first few months that I woke up in the morning I had what I call Reality Shock!
Just absolute grief stricken heartache each time I realized that it was true.
The first year was the hardest. And I lashed out a lot at those I love. I also kept replaying could have would have should have in my head. I finally got to a place of acceptance. A place where I realize my son is no longer suffering or depressed or cold or hungry and especially not addicted. He is whole now. He is finally at peace and happy. I believe in the lord Jesus Christ and believe Jarod is with his savior now and has a loving home.
It is we parents who are left behind that must find a way to live now…till we see them again.

You’ll never get over this. You just learn the best way for you to live with it. And there is no timetable with grief. You may even see signs of your son reaching out to you. I know I have.

I am here for you if you need me. I also highly recommend the support forum on facebook I mentioned above.

Love and prayers,
Tammy

Nandina

Thank you February and LMS for the referrals. I have had great support from friends and family also. It has now been a week since his death and some friends have called multiple times to check on me. Relatives I haven’t heard from in years have called or written. My husband and I feel surrounded with love and we are so grateful.

And so many have shared with us their dealings with a loved one who either has or had a drug issue, or passed away from drugs. It is just rampant.

I am so grateful for your support and will check into those groups. Bless you for your kindness.

Deni D

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
Staff member
Nandina ~ I'm just so sorry and saddened for you as I read you post. I can't imagine the pain and sorrow you are dealing with. I too believe now he is a peace.

New Leaf

Nandina,
Words cannot express the deep sorrow in my heart for you and your family. May God wrap you in his loving embrace and comfort you and your husband. Prayers going up for strength. Sending love and warm hugs,
Leaf

Nandina

Oh February, I’m so sorry you have had to deal with the death of your boy. But fortunately for me you checked in. Some things are beyond coincidence.

Thank you for the prayers, referral and kind thoughts.

I know there is a relief in knowing he is not suffering. I have felt that. His schizophrenia symptoms were torturing him toward the end of his life and it was nearly traumatizing watching him, as he was being traumatized by thoughts and feelings he could not control. He did not have this form of mental illness until meth. And I will never know if it would have been permanent.

He is perfect now. That is my only consolation.

Thank you again, and I am very grateful you checked in. I hope you’ll come back.