Ok, anyone able to help on hardwood floor question?

BusynMember

Thanks for your time in advance. I am very grateful for it.

Our new house has hardwood floors. We need to sand and seal them. Someone came out to look today but his estimate may be more than we want to pay.

My husband is extremely handy. He read up on how to do it using a sanding machine then a water based sealant. Can it work if you do it yourself?

We are anxious to move in but need our appliances first, due July 5, our six foot fence finished for my doggies due to be done in early July and the floors need sealing since we do have dogs. We rented our apartment thru July and are in no rush. But then we WANT to move too lol.

Any experiences on doing hardwood floors?

Last edited:

BusynMember

Apple, how did it look?

I also have a friend whose nephew does floors and wouldn't charge a ton. Part of the reason is that his aunt is a dear friend and we would get a "family" discount.

Pink Elephant

No experience with such, but as with so many other things, if one is willing to put in a little effort and elbow-grease, the outcome always speaks for itself.

I say DIY and save.

YouTube, is your best friend when it comes to DIY info.

Let it roll, SOT! :)

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
It's very labor intensive. You can do it yourself but I would make sure to do lots of research and watch lots of youtube videos.

I worked in the flooring industry for 7 years and most people who tried doing it themselves would end up calling asking for a professional.

We have a rental house that we are getting ready to sell and just had the hardwoods done. My husband and I are both very hand but chose to have it professionally done. It took 4 days for our guy to do it. He came in with his giant sander one day using a strong grit, then came back the second day using a lighter grit. Third day he applied the poly, then came back the next day to do more sanding then applied the final coat.

The big sander will do most of the floor but up against the walls you have to use a small sander.

Good luck!!

BusynMember

Thanks all of you!

We are going to try the nephew. He is young but does floors. If he can't or won't my husband will Pink, love YouTube. Hubby already checked it out in detail and understands what to do. If necessary, I trust hubby to do a very adequate job. You

BusynMember

As we speak, we just got a quote. From floor man. It was surprisingly inexpensive, as are most services where we live. The only problem is he can't get to our house until August. We are definitely moving in August but have a 36' RV on our property and could live in it while he does the work.

Husband is pondering all this.

Pink Elephant

Carefully weigh-over the situation, SOT. Don't jump-in too quickly. If you do go the route of hiring someone you want the job to be done professionally and properly. I would check into his portfolio as to jobs he's done and even ask to see some of his past work. There are many professionals out there nowadays that aren't professionals at all. Talk is cheap.

AppleCori

Apple, how did it look?

I also have a friend whose nephew does floors and wouldn't charge a ton. Part of the reason is that his aunt is a dear friend and we would get a "family" discount.

My mom does great work and it looked awesome.

She has a small house, so it wasn’t too much work.

I believe she did it over a week or so, a room at a time.

BusynMember

Thanks.

This company has been around for years with references and five star reviews. Yet we really need to move in by July and our small town has very few options. Thinking of changing the wood floors to something easier to maintain.

Husband is not thrilled to try it as he has never done it before.

Tanya M

Staff member
Hardwoods are nice an easy to maintain. You can always get a large area rug and runners to put in place of high traffic areas.

AppleCori

After you get the floors refinished, it should last for years. Much better than carpet.

If hubby doesn’t want to do the floors, have it done by a professional. It’s an investment.

Pink Elephant

After you get the floors refinished, it should last for years. Much better than carpet.

If hubby doesn’t want to do the floors, have it done by a professional. It’s an investment.
And hardwood floors look so warm and homey. I hate carpeting with a passion. I dream of the day when we can rip ours out.

BusynMember

I'm not so sure hardware floors and beloved pets (who are little and do have accidents) go together. We are seriously considering getting water proof floors. Nice but not hard wood. Tom and Jumper are at Carpet City right now buying replacement floors. It seems best. I am in the car....came here to grab my water and going back in.

Our family, and our pets are family, come way before the floors. I also have a cat but she's great with the litter box.

We need a family friendly place for all of us AND we just adopted a special needs doggy. Hard wood floors are not best for us. Going back!

AppleCori

I'm not so sure hardware floors and beloved pets (who are little and do have accidents) go together. We are seriously considering getting water proof floors. Nice but not hard wood.

Our family, and our pets are family, come way before the floors. I also have a cat but she's great with the litter box.

We need a family friendly place for all of us AND we just adopted a special needs doggy.

What type of flooring are you looking at?

Hardwoods are pretty durable.

My mom had four dogs, three of which she raised from pups when the mother dog (a stray) had them in her yard. They grew to be very large, also.

Tanya M

Staff member
I suggest you go to a good flooring store and share your concerns. There are SO many different flooring options. There is tile that looks like hardwood. There is vinyl that looks like hardwood.

Tanya M

Staff member
Laminate has come a long way and there are some very nice options. To avoid the "hollow" sound make sure you get the sound proof pad. There are so many choices with laminate for looks and also price.