Reopening the U.S. - What does everyone think...

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
My son and his wife are driving 14 hours today from Chicago to stay 8 nights.

He is furloughed as a BMW master mechanic as Illinois is shut down this month and not sure how much longer. She is working on her masters degree online so can do from here. She also teaches English to kids in Beijing online so can do that from here as well.

They have been in quarantine so we will all be fine. They were here last Mother's Day so it was rough not having him here this year and didn't even know they were coming at all so I'm a happy camper!

At least we are open with restrictions here.

Kathy813

Staff member
I live in Georgia where the governor is an idiot. I am sure you all saw him on the news when he finally locked down the state. He said he didn't know that asymptomatic people could be contagious. How could he have not known that? It was all over the news and the CDC is literally down the street from the governor's residence.

I think he lifted the lockdown much too soon (it lasted two weeks). He actually called bowling alleys and tattoo parlors essential businesses.

I am watching the numbers. We should know it 2 - 5 weeks whether this will lead to a resurgence. I know that the numbers in my county go up every day. I also worry that if the virus is seasonal, it will come back and hit us even harder in the fall and winter. I have always had an interest in the Spanish Flu of 1918 and can't believe I am now living in a similar pandemic.

My husband and I are both in the higher risk group so we have been staying home. We have our groceries delivered and really have no reason to go out. Luckily, we are both online teachers so our income has not been affected. I do feel for those who have lost their jobs but just can't see the economy coming back as long as people are too afraid to go out. Taking someone's temperature really isn't very effective since asymptomatic people can be carriers. We need testing, testing, testing!!

My son-in-law had Covid-19 at the end of March (he is a landscaper which is considered essential and never closed) and had a miserable week. Luckily, he is 100% recovered now. My daughter came down with some atypical (but known) symptoms but we are not sure whether she had it or not. Neither were tested because tests were not available at that time unless you were over 65 or had underlying medical issues. My son-in-law was tested for flu and strep and both were negative. The doctor called him a presumed case at the time. My daughter is recovered now, also.

Sadly, I don't see people here taking the virus seriously. Many are spouting the "it's just the flu" line they hear on cable news. I would say about half wear masks in the grocery stores.

I hope everyone stays safe and well!

Last edited:

MissLulu

Hi all, just thought I'd report in from Australia again. Restrictions are beginning to ease here. My state has the strongest restrictions but even we are now able to have five people visit us at home. School is going back for my son on May 26.

I've been very happy with the way our Premier has handled things and I trust that he and the state government are proceeding with caution. (Our premiers are equivalent to your state governors.) I'm not as confident in our Prime Minister (equivalent to your president) and think he is pushing the states to open more quickly than is prudent. Overall, though, I think our country is in a quite fortunate position. So far we've had less than 100 deaths for the whole country. However, we are still getting little outbreaks here and there so it's definitely not over yet.

I'm actually feeling a bit anxious about the loosening of restrictions, mainly because I think some people won't follow the social distancing recommendations and will do stupid things.

I'm not at risk age wise but I am medicated for high blood pressure, which makes me vulnerable to complications if I get the virus. I'm torn between wanting life to go back to normal and fearing the consequences of that. I know there are no easy answers to this. I guess for now I'll be staying at home as much as possible.

Hope you are all well and staying safe!

Copabanana

I'm torn between wanting life to go back to normal and fearing the consequences of that.
Yesterday I went to 3 stores, the County offices, and the bank. That's more places as I had visited in the prior 9 weeks. It wasn't a conscious decision. It just seems I'm loosening up the caution, fear and anxiety I've had. For good or for ill, I am unsure.

The rate of increase where I live has slowed considerably. We have a cautious and responsible governor. But what can he do if our federal government will not do it's part and undermines any prudent or coordinated or science-driven response?

I think what I am actually doing is temporarily coming out of hibernation, to renew my stockpile and to prepare myself for a long, long winter. This too has not been consciously planned. I just did it. I've been buying dozens and dozes of canned goods, so that I don't have to depend so much on food delivery or going out shopping.

I fear that the past 10 weeks for my country have been but a dry run. If I admit it, I am scared.

There is a brilliant article out there by an Irish writer, I forget his name. I think his first name is something like Fintlan. He talks about the world's pity for my country and it's people and how jarring that is for the world to look upon us in this way. In a sense taking in the viewpoints he expresses is giving us the opportunity to reflect upon the truth of our real lives, and with this, the opportunity to heal. At least I choose to think of it this way.

Thank you Ms. Lulu for your post. Please remain safe and healthy, and your family. And all of the rest of us, too.

Last edited:

BusynMember1

Copa, I don't think I will go to any crowded places but I am preparing for a possible lockdown fall/winter while I can. I am not living in fear. We are enjoying retirement, which is a surprise to me.And we help from home. Rick has been taught all his life to take over our business and is doing great.

I am not one who doubts the virus will be back with a vengeance again. I heard your governor rocks! Well, those who want to party don't like him, but too bad. Jmo. I wish we had such a caring governor who is focused on lives.

Keep being safe. Our age group needs to be sensible.

Love and hugs.

Copabanana

I am preparing for a possible lockdown fall/winter
Busy. You' and your husband have transformed your lives. Specifically, what kinds of preparations are each of you doing, with respect to food, your living space, etc., if any? I found myself buying yesterday, an oil-filled heater, for example, to have greater control over my space and economy.

Overwhelmed1

I'm not scared. I trust God. Not saying I am being irresponsible or that I don't pray for the high risk people and I am considerate of others concerns.

I don't listen to the media so much anymore. I feel the news is not what it use to be. Where has the Walter Cronkite reporters gone. Just my personal opinion which I am sure many won't agree with me. I was young when he was reporting but I remember him.
I also feel our country is so divided between faith, medical and science beliefs. Sorta to each his/her own.
We could discuss views all day long.
I don't like confrontation so I pretty much live by God, my morals and beliefs.
I want to go outside, I do. Me and the neighbors visit, keeping our distance. I shop for necessity and non necessity items. I work out in my yard and take drives. I work from home but if I was told I had to go back to the office I would.
I feel for those who are struggling. I would probably have totally different concerns if I lost my income, couldn't pay my bills, feed my family, buy needed medication or had a serious medical condition that wasn't being treated due to Dr. offices being closed or hospitals not performing needed tests.
I can understand everyone's concerns and opinions.

I hope everyone stays safe and healthy and does what makes them happy during this difficult time.

Peace and Love

AppleCori

Hi, Overwhelmed,

I agree with you, that those who have businesses that are closed, lost jobs, kids with special needs, etc, have a whole different perspective on things than we who are able to work from home, have jobs that pay while on furlough, retired, etc.

How are things at your house?

Last edited:

Overwhelmed1

Hi Apple. Hope all is going well with you.
How is your state doing as far as opening up?
Mine has begun with those for it and against it. I suppose if you don't want to go to these business, that's your choice. But I feel those that want to save their businesses and lively hood should have that choice too.
After all, the big corporate business never did close. I find it funny I can drive through a fast food place but not my bank. Go figure. Money changing hands both places. Oh well, I don't make the rules. I just follow them.

I'm still working on my home issues. It's hard for me to make decisions, well hard for me to know if my decisions are the right ones. I'm hanging in there.
Thank you for asking.

Take care and stay healthy.

Copabanana

There was a vitriolic letter on Facebook attributed to my county' sheriff. The gist of it was that my governor (who has done great, in my view dealing with Coronavirus) is a douchebag because he is depriving businesses and individuals of their liberties to do whatever they want, when they want. To him, he has the right to go where ever he wants, and to catch a virus if he wants, and so does everybody else.

He's right. I agree he has the liberty to catch the virus. But he has no right to give it to me. When he puts himself at risk, he puts me at risk too. I get that there are many people in this country who believe that every person is responsible for themselves, that we have to take responsibility for our own risk level. (A point of view which I disagree. But I get it.)

So from his point of view if I don't want to catch Coronavirus I need to be responsible to modulate my own risk level, which I am doing. This point of view is that old people and vulnerable people need to stay inside as long as there is risk. And everybody else can go party.

The thing is this: There are things I must do. I must go to the doctor's when I am sick. There are times I need to go to the bank. I may not have the funds to pay 4x as much for groceries, so that they are delivered. I may live with my adult children who work; and with my grandchildren who go to school. I can't guard myself from these factors. While this sheriff and his friends chase risk, in these regards they are bringing it home to me.

Is this man's individual freedom more important than my own life? Than yours? I guess he thinks so.

His view: I have the right to get infected, and to infect you too. My individual freedom to do whatever I want is more basic and more important than your freedom to stay healthy or to not get ill; your freedom to live is less important than my freedom to do whatever I want. My economic liberty trumps your health. Your being here at all on this earth.

This sheriff just about stated point blank he was going to go against the governor's vested authority, in ways he knew were beyond his right to do.

Which is the same logic behind the fight against gun control and the same logic behind the fight against climate degradation. My right to do business or to conduct my personal life in exactly the way I want, unrestricted in any way, is my basic and inalienable right. No matter how it effects others, the social fabric or the globe.

I am not an activist. But I am recoiling to this position by an elect official who is responsible to enforce the public good, not just his political beliefs.

I fear there is an element in my country, with the view that power means that they can do what they want. If they want to eliminate oversight, they can. If they want to be above the law, they can. If they want to take the law in their hands, they can.

I am concerned with this sheriff's belief that his personal views are what can carry the day. rather than his obligations and duties and responsibilities, to the community at large. I am fearing how far this will go. Things are happening around this country that can catalyze overt conflict. This is not a little thing, in my view.

Last edited:

Kathy813

Staff member
The people that say that they don't care if they get the virus and act recklessly should have to sign a statement that says they will not seek medical treatment if they get sick. Why should healthcare workers have to risk exposure to treat them?

Copabanana

I just read on the internet that a neighboring town has declared itself to be a sanctuary city. In that they are exempt from any Statewide control or oversight with respect to Coronavirus. They acknowledge that our Governor directs County Departments of Public Health throughout the State. They just choose to nullify his authority, overriding it and mocking it.

Our President over and over again is saying that not only does he want all the kids back at school, and all the sick workers in the meat packing plants, but he wants sports stadiums packed to the gills, with people standing on top of each other. While paraphrased, he said this. Today.

Totally, I respect the views of both political parties, at least to the extent that I acknowledge the right of everybody to believe as they choose, and speak that truth, whether I agree or not. What I have an extreme problem with is the sacrifice of pretty much everybody, for political and economic expediency.

To a extent some of this is operative all of the time. Certain policies give preferential treatment to certain demographic groups, social classes and/or constituencies. While wrong, it happens.

But the thing is there are measures that if followed will curb this virus. If we do them, it will go away. We can have robust economic activity, even with these measures. It may not be 100 percent, I recognize this. But what is at stake is all of our lives.

There are social classes, genders, ethnic and racial groups, who have earned fifty cents on the dollar, for generations, if not centuries. Who have substandard health options, who have not been able to participate fully in either economic or social options, ever, really, if we're honest. These people have never reached 100 percent in their access to the benefits this society affords.

I recognize that powerful and advantaged people don't like to take a hit. But much of the rest of society has been taking that hit. And it's expected. It's expected that they not complain, shut up and take the hit.

That's their problem, some say. Or maybe their fault. There are those who believe the disadvantaged don't deserve more, because they don't work hard enough or live badly. You can actually hear that on TV now. Blaming some of the victims of Coronavirus as having lived badly, and brought it upon themselves through obesity or bad diet. Okaaaaay. Give me a break.

The thing is, I heard a football club owner on TV today complaining about the hit to big sports. To the tune of maybe 4 billion dollars. I guess he either wants a bail out or he wants people standing on top of each other in the stands.

I empathize with him. Truly, I do. Does he empathize with the rest of us? Has he ever? Now is the time.

I've never written posts like this. I doubt I will again. If I've offended, I am sorry.

Last edited:

AppleCori

My state has begun opening these last couple of weeks now. We were never in lockdown, and never had stay at home orders, but the “nonessential” businesses were closed here as they were in the rest of the country. Our governor said that about 80% of the state’s workforce is deemed essential, but there have been a fair number of layoffs, furloughs, and closings nonetheless.

We have just under 100 counties in this state, and two-thirds of the cases were from only six of them. Most of the others are pretty rural and have had few or no cases.

In my area, the people who have job security, are older, or have money in the bank are the proponents of the “continue the shutdown” while the younger people and people who have no job or no job security, few assets, and people who are seeing their small businesses sinking are proponents of opening up faster. I, personally, am not changing anything right now, but I hope to eventually get to the salon!
Hi Apple. Hope all is going well with you.
How is your state doing as far as opening up?
Mine has begun with those for it and against it. I suppose if you don't want to go to these business, that's your choice. But I feel those that want to save their businesses and lively hood should have that choice too.
After all, the big corporate business never did close. I find it funny I can drive through a fast food place but not my bank. Go figure. Money changing hands both places. Oh well, I don't make the rules. I just follow them.

I'm still working on my home issues. It's hard for me to make decisions, well hard for me to know if my decisions are the right ones. I'm hanging in there.
Thank you for asking.

Take care and stay healthy.

Our banks have stayed open, but for drive-thru only. Of course, I have a story! Hubby and I went to the drive thru on a Saturday a few weeks ago to get a $100 bill changed into small bills in order to pay tips for the employees who bring our orders curbside (and deposit the rest). The line was long! Well, we finally get to the window and my hubby puts the $100 bills into the drawer and was telling the teller what we wanted when he saw at least one of the bills fly away (it was really windy that day). I got out and ran around the car and there it was, stuck on a ledge. I brought it back and laughed about how lucky we were—until we got the deposit slip. Two bills had flown away, not just one! We scoured the parking lot and the field next to it and couldn’t find it. The bank manager kindly came out to help, but it was gone. He said he would review the tapes and get back to us on Monday. Shockingly, he called on Monday and said that they couldn’t tell whether one or two bills had flown away, but they were going to deposit the $100 into our account anyway! I love my credit union!

Copabanana

Our banks have stayed open
Apple. I loved your bank story. I was crestfallen you had lost the $100. And happily shocked at the happy ending.

Banks here did not close. My bank was so approachable. You could sit down face to face with the tellers, who are like friends, after all of these years. Now there's plexiglass all over. The chairs for the clients to sit are gone. There is an aura of danger. Of risk.

I hope this doesn't last.

So good to hear from you Apple.

Overwhelmed1

That's funny Apple, and I am glad you got all your money. I had a similar thing happen years ago.
I went to the bank to withdraw money.
When the envelope came back, there was an extra $500.00. I didn't even withdraw near that much.
My kids were young and got excited. Said we can go shopping or to Six Flags. LOL
I taught them about honesty and karma that day. Sent the extra money back.

About two weeks later we were at the grocery store. I put my purse on the roof of the car while I was loading the groceries in. Never done that before either.
I drove home, brought the groceries in and put them away before I realized I didn't have my purse. I was frantic and was out searching in my car when my phone rang.
Someone found my purse in the parking lot. The lady apologized for looking in it but said she was searching for an address or phone number. Luckily my checks had my phone number on them.
I met her back at the store. Nothing was missing. I said see that kids, if I had kept that money from the bank my purse and all my important cards and such would be gone and it would have taken a lot of time and effort to get them canceled and replaced.

I have many rural counties also. We were semi closed but everyone I encountered has been cautious and considerate. I live in a populated area.
Businesses closed, lot of people working from home but many businesses stayed open as well.
I'm good with how my state handled the virus. The people all handled it well too.
I'm proud of us. (smile)

I'm not going to judge anyone's opinion. I have heard some states have very strict regulations though.

Stay happy, healthy and safe...

Peace and Love

MissLulu

This is such an interesting thread. Here in Australia, each state has had different rules, but my state has been the most 'locked down'. Even so, some things have been open all along. Post offices have remained open, as have chemists (drug stores?) and supermarkets, some hardware stores and the bigger discount department stores like Kmart, Target and Big W. (We don't have Walmart here - I guess either Kmart or Big W would be the closest thing.) Restaurants and bars have been closed and remain so, but restaurants can open for take away food and, as of this week, there is table service available for very limited numbers of diners (10 at a time right now, but moving to 20 at the start of June.) Of course schools and universities have been closed along with libraries, gyms, beauty salons and almost all small businesses.

We are very slowly opening back up. My son goes back to school next week and my hairdresser has opened again (yay!). We are in a very different position than those of you in the US though. Our total death toll for the whole nation has been 100 people, with about 6000 identified cases so far. Of course, we have a population of around 26 million, which is much smaller than the US, however our per capita infection rate has still been much, much smaller than yours. I only hope it stays that way when we begin to open up. At the moment we can't travel very far even within our own state, although that is about to change with intra-state travel being allowed from the beginning of June, I believe. Many states who have had less cases than my state have closed their borders, so I'm not sure when we will be able to travel interstate again - let alone overseas. I think it will be at least a year, if not more, before we can travel internationally again.

It's been super interesting for me having launched a book during this period. I was supposed to go on a national tour, but of course that was cancelled. Instead I have been doing events online for libraries and bookshops, which has been more successful than I ever thought it would be!

I'm in no hurry to be out and about unnecessarily. I think it's good that we are moving towards "a new normal" as they are calling it here, but I still think caution is wise. As our premier keeps reminding everyone, whilst the economic consequences of lockdown are severe, the economic consequence of widespread disease and death would also be equally severe. Unfortunately there are no good answers to this terrible situation, we just have to ride it out.

Stay safe everyone!

KTMom91

Our town opened up yesterday, against governor's directives, and the county south of us voted to reopen with no restrictions, even though that county has the highest number of positive cases in our area. I can't help but wonder about a spike in positive cases because people are feeling confined and/or invincible.

Personally, I don't mind being home. I'm reading, watching TV, walking around the neighborhood, on the computer, or talking on the phone. I go to the store when I need to, take care of what needs to be taken care of, then come home and shelter in place. I do miss the kids at school; the teacher I subbed for the most has a sixth grade, and she had an awesome class. I would have liked to be able to say goodbye to them before they head off to middle school.

Copabanana

The town just north of mine declared itself to be a Sanctuary City. As in they don't care what our governor says, they'll do what they want when they want.