Tell me your tales of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), pleeeeeease!

Boy did I see myself in some of these posts! I had a thread about this awhile back too. Some things are really funny in a way. I can say that I thing since some of mine are very bizarre. I have had my little quirks for as long as I can remember. One of mine is picking at my toe nails. It has been really bad recently over about the last year as things with difficult child have become real and not just suspicions. I hardly have toe nails at all now. I'm not exaggerating either. I also do the counting and even thing. I remember getting in trouble some when I was little. My mom would tell me to stop tapping or something and I had to keep doing it to make it the right number. If I did something once you had to do it twice or the one would be lonely. Then you only have a pair so you do it two more times. But that "4" is lonely now so you do it four more times. 8 was pretty much my magical number. As I was reading through this thread I noticed I was tapping my toes a certain way. I am on Lexapro now. It has gotten my chaotic mind in check. The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) doesn't really bother me too much, except for my toes. Before the Lexapro I would obsess about if I would go over a bridge and how do I save all three kids when we plundge in the water. I would rehearse this over in my mind quite often. I never did quite figure out how to do it. I would get to the part of undoing our buckles and realize I had to stop. I don't rehearse it anymore. I am wondering if my little one is going to have a quirk like this. When you tuck him in at night he has to have a sippy cup and you HAVE to put his blanket on him. If you don't he screams and cries until you come back and do it. He'll be three in April. He's a real cutie. Where difficult child rages, this one charms when he gets in trouble. It is hard to be angry with him when he gives the puppy dog eyes and smiles with his little dimple. Sorry. I got off the subject.
KBM

LAURA

Seems to me that I see myself in these situations too. I am always wanting to smell things no matter where I am or when. I smell fruit, money, clothing, soaps, dish soaps, perfumes, salad dressings, deodorants,lotions and much much more. Does that mean I have some underlying Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) somewhere in me ?

I count a lot, but not to an even number. Also I add and multiply numbers a lot. I also say to myself that if I hear a certain noise or see a certain object along the side of the road ( not hallucinating ) then that must mean I am going to meet the person of my dreams. Also if I can predict what someone else will say then that means I will get what I am wishing for. I never thought about this that much until I saw this posting.
I cannot stand to wear socks and shoes. Even when I am outside. The ground feels good to my feet and I have ugly callouses on my feet too.

I have a overwhelming feeling of falling and tripping so when I walk I walk like a 99 year old lady. Is that bizzare or what ?

I pick at my toe nails cause I cannot stand for them to touch my socks when I must wear them.
I used to bite my finger nails, but I was able to give that up many years ago.

I also pick at my skin all the time. If I see a pimple I have to get rid of it. I have keratosis
( spelling ) tiny bumps on my arms and legs that are annoying and ugly. They tend to get snagged on clothing if you do not get rid of them. For that I use a body scrub to try and alleviate the situation. I also like to scratch my scalp because it feels good to me. Kind of like when someone scratches your back. My sister does this thing with her scalp too.

Now here comes the most embarrassing part /importthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I cannot even believe I am even telling you guys this.

When I feel anxious, tired, lonely,sad or I am missing my Mom or Dad.... I suck my thumb :rolleyes:

I did this from birth until I was 12.

It's not happening other than in my own home.
I get an overwhelming sense of comfort and relase of emotions.

Please don't laugh about that... I am worried why I want to suck my thumb.

I also like textures or feeling certain fabrics. Not all the time, but I like the feel of silky fabrics. And I like to twirl difficult child's hair when we are cuddling on the couch.

Feeling vulnerable right now :confused:

Sheila

Laura: I don't know about the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), but you describe several behaviors on the Sensory Integration Disorder symptoms lists.

I've never been diagnosed Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), but I know I have at least a touch of it. I never realized it until I was taking Zoloft for depression. It relieved behaviors like checking the house 10 times before I left for work. I'm not compulsive about washing my hands, but I wash them more than the average person.

When I am confronted with a new problem, I am consumed with finding information about it, then I can let go of useless worry and deal with it. That's what I'm doing here.
I kinda had to laugh at your statement -- that's me. It was very beneficial in my career (research and analysis); they used to call me "the bulldog" because I just couldn't let anything go with-my job until I had found the perfect answer. I've done the same with-trying to figure out what was going on with-my son. I call it tenacity; psychiatrist would likely refer to it as an "obsession." :wink:

legalsec2504

My 19 year old difficult child has been diagnosed Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) since he was about 8 years old. He has at this point just about learned to control it. He is not taking any medications at all right now. His Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) first manifested itself as a repetitive movement he did with his right hand on his face. He would take his hand and place the area between his thumb and his index finger first on his upper lip and then on his chin - over and over and over and over and over. It got so bad that the teachers at his school questioned us about it. I never at the time connected that with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), but I believe it was the beginning of it. He did that for probably about two years. Later he had trouble with repetitive thoughts. Especially if his dad or I would scold or discipline him. He could not stop thinking about what we had said or done to him. It could be days later and he would bring up something that had happened previously. He also liked to organize things. His bedroom could be a mess, but he would have the mess neatly organized. Papers that he had wadded up to throw away would be laid out in a square or circle. His dirty underwear would be folded up into a nice little bundle and placed back into his dresser (that almost drove me crazy..!)

Within the past couple of years he went more to organizing things on tables and on his dresser in his bedroom and in the bathroom and in my bedroom and in the kitchen....... Several years ago difficult child, easy child and I were in my kitchen watching a tv show about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). The whole time we were watching it, difficult child was straightening up everything on the kitchen counter. After the show was over he looked at me and said “you know I think I might have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).” Well you think.....

Like I said earlier though he seems to be controlling it now. And is no medications for it! Can Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) be outgrown? In his case, I think it can.

easy child has been having some troubling symptoms lately that make me think he is possibly Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), although he has never had a diagnosis. He has gone through separate times of checking door locks, tapping his fingers and thumbs, throwing anything he has in his hand in the air over and over and over. Now he will go to the sink in the bathroom or the kitchen and run water and toss the water on his forehead and chin. He does this quite frequently. When I ask him why he does this, he tells me that it keeps him from getting pimples and that if he doesn't do it, he will get bad acne..He currently takes Lexapro for depression. I am undecided as to whether or not to take him to the psychiatrist for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). What do you all think after reading what he does?

Jill

legalsec2504

As for me lol - I like to count things. I won't stop counting anything that ends in a 3 - I'll keep on counting till I'm not ending on a three. I prefer even numbers too. I always wash my hands to the count of five and dry them off to the count of ten. I don't like numbers that have 3 in them....3, 13, 23, 33....If I wake up in the middle of the night at 3:33 a.m. I have hard time going back to sleep for fear of a phone call coming with bad news, a burglar breaking in - you name it. I'm actually happy if I wake up and its 2:00 o'clock something or 4:00 o'clock something....

Well it's almost 5:00 here. I better stop and close up shop so I can get out of here before 5:03 p.m. lol...

Jill

DancerMom

I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I have had it all my life, but I didn't know what it was. My family just thought I was a obnoxious child. It worsened as I got older. I cannot stand chaos, I cannot stand unstraighened pictures, I cannot stand my house being untidy, I cannot stand lint on the carpet. I cannot stand lights left on, or the paid unmade, my sinks must be dried when you finish using them, same with my bathtub. All clothes must be folded the same way, towels too. Do not fold my underwear over in half, they must be folded then rolled and stacked straight up in done by colors.

I check and recheck my door locks, window locks, car locks, etc. I do this a thousand times a day. I have a calendar I keep with me all the time, to organize everything and my day. Do not disrupt my schedule lol.

I have a certain way that I shave my legs even. I never ever do it a different way.

There's more, it gets worse lol. I laugh at myself, it drives everyone else crazy. My husband has finally gotten used to it.

Ohhh... and.... the mouse and keyboard must be placed this certain way and the same for the webcam and the telephone. Do not vary from this or die! lol

I took Paxil CR 50 mg. for the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). It really didn't do that much for me. I think I am too Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) for even Paxil. It is the drug of choice for treating it. I am on Lexapro now and it seems to do well. Wellbutrin makes my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) go wide open.

Hope this helped,

Anna

Ephchap

Anna -

Have you ever tried prozac for the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)? My son has been on 80 mg since age 13, when his Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) was first diagnosed and has done wonderfully on it.

Hugs,
Deb

duchdreamweaver

Most of the time I don't talk about the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) part of me. The earliest memory of this type of thing started with fruit loops. I know that sounds strange. But I had to eat them in color groups. I could not eat them with milk I had to eat them dry and Only yellow, orange then red. Then they added the green ones. OmG you might have thought the world stopped. I can't even look at the fruit loop box now. Too many colors. This is not the only thing. I have a lot of books and movies. They must be in order. Stacked in the same sizes. Same cases whatever but in the right order. I keep a list here on the computer of them. I can not sleep with a blanket that has a tag on it at the head of the bed. My husband has tried to trick me (he didn't think it was real) I couldn't sleep. I just laid there knowing that that tag belonged at the bottom of the bed.

I am also a planner. I have to plan everything. I mean I have to review any type of situation that might come up. This is another of the reasons I dont' sleep because at night when I lay down is when I can think of these things. I have to know and understand. If we find out that one of the kids has to be on a new medication or has this or that then looking it up is what I do. Only I do this to extremes. Then I organize it and put it in books.

One thing that is really bad is that we are redoing our house from top to bottom. Ripping out the walls and everything. This one is killign me. I have to work out what we will be doing. My husband goes nuts some days when I start asking how this will be done and that will be done. I must know. Once I know I am fine. Don't tell me we will take care of it when the time comes. Ack.

I have several others but I imagine those are some good examples. Oh and the fruit loop thing I even wrote the company and complained about too many colors. I know obsessive.

Lise

Here's an other story about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Obsessive thoughts:
Fear of contaminating others or oneself with body fluids(urine, feces, nose dripping etc.)

Fear of having touch the genitals of his 2 cats

Fear of having a drop of urine on his pants or boxers.

Fear of having touch my thight or breast by accident

Numerous other obsessive thoughts related to moral questions, sexuality, violence and so on.

Rituals:
Hand washing up to elbows.
Can change underwear up to 4 times a day
May have to strip bed completely and put clean shets etc.
Uses 3 different soaps. One for hands, one for body and one for genitals. The same with facecloth.
Can't use a towell that had been used to dry whole body(read genitals) even his own.
Whe having use the bar soap for handwashing he leaves it at the bottom of the sink since It is now contaminated. Even thou he knows that I will put it back in the soapdish
Uses half a roll toilet paper to wipe himself
Other numerous weird stuff...

My difficult child, now 13, started obsessing at the age of 10. It's started with saliva. For exemple, if he thought that his saliva had drop on a chair or my SO cloths he would ask me if that could be dangerous for spreading his germs. Would ask the question many times a day.

A couple of months later coming back from vacation with his dad, I noticed that he was washing his hands a lot. i asked him why. He told me that he did not want to contaminate others . That was in july. By mid august his hands were quite dry and my gut feeling was telling me that he was developping an obsession. I talked to my diagnosis about seeing a psychologist about it. "No way. My son is perfectly normal".
But I made him agree that at least we could have him evaluated.
It took an other 5 months before seing a psychiatrist and by then it was VERY bad.

Coming back to that august, I had a talk with difficult child about getting some help with his obsession. He told me that he absolutly refuse to talk to anyone about this. That if I were to force him he would just stay silent.

When I asked what solution could work so he would stop obssessing he answered :

" I can do it by myself. You know, my brain has 2 sides the bright side and the jerk (stupid, foolish) side. So Mom, I will have my intelligence win over my foolish side. The one telling me to wash even thou I know it is not necessary."
My goodness, here I had that 10 years old already having an inner war and being conscious about it.

For him it was a question of pride. He wanted to prove to himself that he was strong enough and intelligent enough to beat this thing.

I knew otherwise but did not argue. I just told him that it was not a question of intelligence or weak personality.

It went on worsening :

By september, off and on, because the ritual took different forms:

**I could not touch his glass or plate if I hadn't washed my hands before. I refused. Told him that I would not fall into his obsessions myself and from now on if he refuses to be served by me he could served himself. That one did not last more than a couple of days. lol

**I had to thank you his shoes because if he had to do it himself he would have to wash again and miss his schoolbus.

Late that fall it was complety crasy at home. difficult child would have new obsessions, so new ritual almost every week.

For a while he was using scott towels to decontaminate differents objects in the house. Would soak many scott towells with soap and water and wash all the door knobs in our appointment. leaving the soap on it dripping...

Or use the same scott towell and put it somewhere were he would put beside it a ball or some other thing that were contaminated. Let it sit for 2 days and then it was O.K. to touch it again.

An other one was to use dry scott towell to wipe the couch were he was sitting. Doing it sometimes up to 15 times in a half hour period.

Sitting, getting up, wipe, sit again, stand again etc. This lasted at least 3 weeks. Drove me nuts!!!

**Had numerous cloths he could not wear anymore mainly underweare and pants. Some brand new.

**Haven't sat in the front of the car since then. Even for a 3 hours trip he would sit in the back by himself. (front seat contaminated)

**A third of his bedroom floor has been contaminated for the last 2 1/2 year. He still can't walk on that part of his room, neither touch anything that had sit on it. Last year at one point I could not go there either unless I would wipe my feet afterwards, which I refuse to do. In order to put cloths in his drawer I would have to do it when he was not there. When he wanted cloths he would stand on his bed and extand his arm to reach the dresser. We don't use his dresser anymore. He has some shelves in the non-contaminated area. lol

I asked his psychiatrist if it would help to wash that floor. Its was a big NO. To wash something so my difficult child could touch it, would be a confirmation that it is contaminated.

As new rituals developped, my job would be to stop or contained them. Sometimes it worked some others it didn't.

In each person suffering from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) there is generally a main obsession and numerous secondary one. When eploring this with the psychiatrist we discovered the secondary obsessions which had to do with the fear of having hurt somebody and a couple of others.

The nessecity of finding the secondary one is to start the behavioral and cognitive therapy with those because it is less stressfull. Also, if theese are not adressed when and if you get rid of the main obsession, the others will replace it. Like the psychiatrist said : It's a multi headed monster. Cut one up and a new one will pop up.

In november that year, his hand were bleeding, half his room was contaminated and no help yet from anyboday. My own mental health was falling (depression and anxiety) I had found info on the net and read a lot on the subject. It did help a bit but I was still very worried about him and all the complications it had brought in our home.

One morning as I was about to kiss him on the cheek he stopped me and said that he prefered I refrain from touching or kissing him. He feared he would contaminated me. Then he left for school.
This was a very sad day for me. My sweet boy who loved to snuggle and give big hugs was denying us both this basics needs because of is fears.
By chance that one did not last more than a couple of weeks.

He was seen in december and at that point he was in a severe depression. We tried celexa. Did work on the depression but not the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Then we tried Zoloft and it worked. She started the therapy and gave him some exercise to do. For exemple trying to not wash his hands after putting on his winter pants. It did not work.
Did I mention that he is also ADDHD, gifted with numerous Learning Disability (LD) ? So when he got in trouble at school he wouldn't even think about his exercices. So we tried working more on his behavior(impulsivity).

He became very frustrated. He wanted to get rid of his Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

He compared living with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) with playing a hockey game.

He wants to live his life, go to recess like the other kids etc without loosing his time washing. Like he wanted to shoot goals but the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is the best goaler in the league. He can't score and win. It prevents him from living his life.

We are now almost 3 years later. There were periods were his Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) was very low, mostly during vacation. But for the last month it had been the worst I ever seen. The psychiatrist has to see him again next week to see what we can do to help him.

In the mean time I do a lot of landry, wipe behind him after he is finished washing, pick up dirty cloths were he leaves them and answer 30 times a night to questions like :

Mom are my boxers wet?

Mom, can I have touched my cat'anus without knowing

Mom did I touch you by accident

Mom did my sweather touched my genital when I pulled my pants down

etc and so on and on and on

It doesn't bother me that much because I am a very patient person but it breaks my heart to see him fuffer so much because of it all. After talking to a few persons who had lived with an incapacitating Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) I know that it is a living nightmare and very hard to cure. I just hope that my son can wake up one day with a clear and free mind.

Lise

RE Auditory halluciations

At one point my son was talking about a voice in his brain, talking to him. Not his own voice but the one of a stranger. We were at the psychiatrist. I kept silent but was freaking out inside. Was he becoming schyzo? Afterwards the pdc told me that often children will talk about a voice without it beeing hallucinations. In his case it was more like the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) was a voice telling him what to do and what to think.

Hope it was helpfull.

Lise

Lise

Me again lol
I keep remembering stuff about this weird journey
in Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)'dom.

My difficult child has always been rigid with his sense of justice rigth and wrong etc. Made a point of never lying not even at a ski montain about his age!
Very intransigeant about honesty in others also.

Younger he was hoarding maybe a little more than other kids.

His Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) level is directly linked to his stress level. That is why when its very high I have to remove most of the stress. No homework, no chores etc.

When the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is overwelming he has more difficulties controlling his impulsivity, most of his energy being used trying to control his thoughts. That puts him in trouble in class. Being in trouble stresses him, the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) kicks in ...vicious circle.

We are hoping that with a medication adjustment and a therapy focusing on it (and not on his ADDHD) he will be able to regain control and be equiped with tools preventing the symptoms to come back.

busywend

Well, I certainly missed alot of this post while I was on vacation. Do not even recall how I got to it today! I do know that it was very interesting reading though.

Fran - maybe worth an archive...

I am getting more and more convinced that this could be a problem for me. I have been toying with Adult ADD, depression (which I have been through once and I am not feeling that now) anxiety, or being crazy!! I know there is something not right about me lately. I know that I am getting nothing done, have no motivation, can not seem to focus on any one task long enough to finish it. I sleep fine - I love my bed!! I am not sad, maybe frustrated and angry at times due to GFGness, but no sadness.

I have the thoughts of a bridge falling on me while I am going under it. I have thoughts of having to save the life of my child in some dangerous way - usually over a cliff. I have these dreams where I wake up frozen - is it possible to obsess in your sleep??? It is always about difficult child being harmed. I check the stove often to be sure it is off. My magic number while growing up was 20. I would add any numbers until they equaled 20. I often have thoughts that disturb me and I have to talk myself out of them.

bgb

Originally posted by vickid:

Incidentally, I have another child with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)--my 22-year old son. I did not know he had it (in fact, did not know what Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) was) until he was 15, which was about the time my daughter was born. I had taken him to the doctor to be treated for depression and he casually mentioned to me that the doctor said the Paxil prescribed for his depression would be good for his Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) as well. I said "What's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)?" I found out that lots of things I thought were merely eccentricities of his personality were manifestations of his Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). His main symptoms are an extreme need for symmetry--has to "even" everything up--and a hoarding compulsion. He cannot throw anything away, as he is afraid he will need it someday, even if it is absolute junk.

QUOTE]

LOL! When the doctor prescribed Paxil for my son's Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), he said it would also help with the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and I'm thinking "Huh? What Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)? Oh, you mean those...habits...aren't just...habits?"

J's...habits...were compulsive hording and a weird wrist flicking thing. I felt so badly since the wrist flicking was really annoying and here I'd thought he'd been doing in on purpose!

Barb

lisak2

Originally posted by busywend:
[qb] She has obsessive thoughts about me when we are apart. She worries unnecessarily. She is one to lock the doors and check them twice. She said she has to even things out when she She has damaged things around the house, not when angry, but just because she has to do it. I consider that the compulsive part of her. She has cut the lamp shades, sliced the countertop, put little cut marks in every wooden piece of furniture that I own. [/qb]
These are not things I realized were part of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)? I am wondering now if my difficult child has this? She is obsessive about the doors being locked at night, checks all the windows....hmmm? I wonder.

lillydtiger

I am 25 years old and I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I'm a checker, I check all doors i.e. refrigerator, freezer, microwave etc., locks, things plugged into the wall cannot be touching anything, or it might start a fire. I wash my hands a lot. I cant touch animals or children with dirty hands (and I love children). No one can touch my bare feet I freak out. I have to clean in bare feet but then they get dirty and I have to wash them. If someone gets in the way of my washing my feet they better watch out. lol I get truly nasty. I cant eat the ends of hotdogs or bananas, or cheese cut in funny shapes. I touch my forehead a lot when I am checking things, and I chant to myself. I have broken several things around the house by pushing on them too hard when I am checking them. If a bag or box of chips or cereal is left open I wont eat it. If something is left uncovered in the fridge no way will I eat it. I dont wear matching socks because if they match I will have a bad day. Sorry, I got carried away. Those are just a few of the symptoms. Today I had my first meeting with a doctor, and she thinks she can help me. I am very excited to try. I think it is amazing how many of you support your children this way. My family refused to believe something was wrong with me. Even now they dont think it's a big deal. It is very hard to deal with alone. I have a four year old son and I know that Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is hereditary. After reading some of your posts I am noticing some similarities between your young children and mine, I had not previously connected them with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I am grateful for your stories and advice. Thank you

bgb

Welcome Lilydtiger!

I'm sure you'll find this a supportive place. I know I certainly do!

Its so nice to here how you view us as supporting our children. : ) Sometimes others see it differently...

Barb

Getting happier

I did not know what was wrong with me, but I knew hell could not be worse. When I was 11 yr old I changed schools ( most people blame it on that, but I am not sure)- I was in 6th grade and for 2-4 wks I was happy and my usual active and participating self, but something happened. I began to feel compelled to do things, such as check the water facets before going to bed, but then I would think I missed one and recheck them again and again. I did not know why I had to do this, but I knew I had to- like God was telling me or something. I was religious - so I had lists of prayers and I would kneel and I would say the intentions in order and add on to them and it was like I could never end because there was always another intention or person to add. I was in hell. I longed for someone to talk to - but I hid it all, or I tried to, I began to fail in school, my teacher hated me. The kids hated me, too. Noone understood. I feel I was on the verge of psychosis or maybe I was psychotic, but I was always aware of what was going on around me.The teacher said we need to grade other kid's papers- I was so compulsed to do what she said, she said mark off if they do not close the o's in their penmanship, misspell etc, well, needless to say - I took so many points off - everyone hated me. All I could do was cry inside because I HAD TO DO IT! I didn't know why but I knew I HAD TO DO IT. So, the teacher thought, I will get her, I will have her correct her own paper, so I took so many points off of my own paper I flunked myself. I had a million rituals, compulsions and obsessions- I have only begun, I could not swim with kids in a pool, because I had a sore on my leg and they may catch it some how. I was in utter agony. I never got treatment. It went away in the summer after 6th grade. It never came back. It is a memory of living in hell for one year. I never told my parents.
I heard that anaphranil is effective in treating Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)- if it ever comes back in full force I will take something, I longed for someone to understand. Interestingly and hope for others with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)- following that year I excelled in school- I am sure it was due to the compulsive nature it created, by the time 8th grade came I was in the 99% of the nation in verbal ability and teste 98% in math.
Even now, I have remnants of it, sometimes I pass something on the road, I think "Maybe it was a body, I need to go back and check" Now I know that is crazy, but that is what Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) does in my mind. Now that I am older I know that it is the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and I resist and never allow myself to check and recheck. I think what helped me the most was learning what I had, it was not until college ( maybe highschool) that I realized all the obsessions and compulsions were Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)- once I knew what it was I could watch for it and avoid it, I have only tipped the surface of them all in telling you this story. ( Not being able to listen to a concert because thoughts of naked people would come to mind when I watched it. Not being able to do my report cover neat because I had to put the glue on a specific way that totally messed up the cover) Maybe that is why I chose the name: secretly sad ( I was so sad there is not a graemlin that looks sad enough)