Tell us one unusual thing about yourself

donna723

I live in a small house that's over 160 years old and was rumored to have been a stop on the Underground Railroad! Did I already tell you that?

OpenWindow

Nope, he bowled with his right hand! For privacy reasons, and in light of some very personal posts I've made recently, I decided not to divulge his name here. Ain't I the secretive one?!

Donna - that is sooo cool! Does it have a secret basement?

BBK - interesting...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh and I met Jacques Torres, the chocolatier from the Food Network, and yes, I gushed...I could have died and my family left me standing there alone gushing. Very embarrassing.:redface:

donna723

"Donna - that is sooo cool! Does it have a secret basement?"

Linda, it's not an official basement but it's all dug out underneath the house like a fruit cellar. One side is much deeper than the other, deep enough to stand up in. Supposedly, there were tunnels (with underground rooms) running from this house to several other houses in the neighborhood but the others are all gone now and and my house is the only one left. When it rains really hard and water is standing in the yard, you can sometimes make out several 5'-6' square or rectangular indentations in the grass and low spots like paths and a few round very low spots. Whatever was under there in the yard probably collapsed 100 years ago. If I wasn't so afraid of spiders and snakes and "whatever", I'd love to dig around under the house and see what I could find!

tiredmommy

Donna- My church's original building was supposed to be one of the last stops on the underground railroad. Slaves were fed, allowed to rest, given fresh clothes, communion and even medical care if needed.

Abbey- I met Hulk Hogan about 20 years ago standing in line at a bank in St Pete, FL.

I thought of another weird thing:

My cats (all three) coming running for me when I sing patriotic songs at the top of my lungs. No other type of music, just patriotic. My husband says they must think I'm hurt or something. :hammer:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I had a blind date with the comedian Pat Paulsen (old timers might remember him) when he was running his fake bid for the Presidency in 1968.

I've exchanged letters with James Patterson, Stephen White, Thomas Harris, David Niven, Helene Hanff.

Sue Grafton sends me a Christmas card every year from her and Kinsey Milhone.

I've seen "An Officer and a Gentleman" 106 times.

I'm severely allergic to shellfish...and fatally allergic to bees. :wildone:

I play my 30 year old kazoo at all office functions...birthday celebrations, baby showers, etc. I'm absolutely dreadful but that's part of the fun and now people ask for me! :rofl:

Suz

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
geepers, aren't we all shy, LMAO

I am an X bug torcherer. I used to love hitting lightning bugs with badmiton rackets when I was a kid. My cousin smeared there butts under his eyes like war paint.

We also used to spray paint beach ball bugs and shoot them like marbles. I feel so much better now that I have come clean.

donna723

OMG, Suz! I remember Pat Paulsen's campaign in the presidential election! (Guess that makes me an 'old timer'!) He actually traveled around the country campaigning! It was hysterical! When I lived in Orlando he was at one of the local malls to sign autographs and several of us from work went to see him on our lunch hour. I'll never forget it ... he was sitting at a card table with all these little pads of paper and a rubber stamp of his signature ... people walked by the table and he'd stamp them out an "autograph" and hand it to them! People who have never seen him have no idea how funny he was!

donna723

I thought of another one ... When I was a freshman at Florida State University in Tallahassee, I went through sorority rush like just about everybody else did. I never did join one and never really intended to but the one I liked the best was in a smaller house that was a little ways away from the "row" where the rest of the sorority and fraternity houses were. Very relaxed atmosphere and very nice girls, not snotty and "superior" like some of the others. A short time later, Ted Bundy broke in to that very same sorority house and murdered some of those same girls! I attended FSU right between the time that Jim Morrison was a student there and the time that Ted Bundy made his visits! And a few years later, my boss was the jury foreman on one of Bundy's murder trials!

klmno

Wow, donna- you really have a lot of interesting stories! A lot of people here do!

Now, if we could only figure out which one is Star's "real life"! (I'm pretty convinced that Pootie is real!)

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
OMG, Suz! I remember Pat Paulsen's campaign in the presidential election!

Cool, Donna!

I was living in Chicago in 1968. This was during the horrific Democratic Convention where there were protests and riots and the police were as terrified and out of hand as the participants.

Scary times...but a fun evening.

Suz

everywoman

Okay---you guys made me remember a few things...

I got married in a country bar at 2AM. I was 18 and stupid. He was a bouncer. I thought I knew what I was doing!!!!! The only good thing I got out of that was PCson.

During that marriage I lived in an apt. above the guys from Alabama. Back then they played a little dive in Myrtle Beach called the Bowery---Janet will remember that!!!LOL! They drove a car with on floorboard. Most of the time we would have to push it to get it started.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Well I have thought of some more. I can put up a tent better than a boy scout (might have something to do with the fact I used to go to boy scout camp with my brothers that were older than me since dad was one of the leaders).

I lived in my car for a while, in February in Iowa.

I can still tell you my first boyfriends birthday. (January 15th)

I married my first husband after knowing him 11 monthes, my second husband after knowing him 9 monthes. My current husband we moved in together after a month but waited to marry and it is a signifcantly better relationship.

I have a weakness for ducks and sea gulls (although how they can call them that when they live on the river is beyond me).

I used to be afraid of reclyners.

SRL

I have a weakness for ducks and sea gulls (although how they can call them that when they live on the river is beyond me).

Once I slammed on my brakes in traffic to avoid hitting a pair of mallards that were wandering in the road and the guy behind me rear ended me and did a good bit of damage to my truck.

The cop laughed so hard when he heard what happened that he didn't issue the ticket.

Lothlorian said:
BBk, and what exactly possessed your brother to do that?

My brother is weird. He makes up words or phrases for things he observes in life.

The first clip (King Headgasket) is referring to a guy he met while checking out a car for sale. This guy had his car in his driveway with a for sale sign in the window. My brother stopped to take a look at it. The guy came out and said "What can I do ya for?" They talked a bit and then the guy told him that the car needed a head gasket. My brother decided that his name should be King Headgasket because he "acted tough" when he came out.

"Big Tip Dollar" is a song (a catchy one too, no?) he made up when he was delivering pizzas. He delivered to this local drug store, and the guy told him he was gonna give him a big tip. Then he only gave him a buck. So, from that point forth, the guy was named big tip dollar.

I'm not sure what he is saying in the third video.

He's one of those people who has to say everything that runs through his mind. Everything.

No, like EVERYTHING.

I'm pretty sure he had a missed diagnosis or two.

Andy

SRL - I live in goose and duck town. They are EVERYWHERE - (even their droppings - ewwwww). If you hit one, you get in big legal trouble. I get so frustrated at vehicles stopped in the road waiting on a bunch of geese to decide which way they want to go and when to get out of the road.

Funny how you can hit a person on accident and nothing happens but hit a duck or goose and get slapped with a large fine. (fortunatley I have never done either).

The bright side: The goslings and ducklings are so cute and fun to feed in the Spring.

DammitJanet

Speaking of Myrtle Beach...I do remember the Bowery.

If anyone ever saw the movie Shagging on the Boulevard which was based in Myrtle Beach...North Myrtle to be exact, my husband and two youngest boys are caught fishing off the end of pier in the movie.

When I first met husband and moved in with him the same night I met him, we lived between Fat Harolds, the Spanish Galleon, and one more place I cant remember the name of right now...lol. We used to sit at night and watch the drunks wander through the yard.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I married my first husband after knowing him 11 monthes...

I got engaged to my first (and present :rofl:) husband 3 months and 11 days after we met, moved in together a month after that, and got married 10 months after that.

And thanks to Paxil and Lamictal we will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of our first date on July 30th and our 19th wedding anniversary on October 7th! :D