They took him!

Ok I will stop making excuses. I am out of all ways tohelp. It is back to me and my easy child and husband. What used to be a good family of five has gone to a good family of three. It is kinda sad and good at the same time. I grieve for my family.

Keep going to Alanon.

When an addict has a relapse, it is when they slip up and have a drink or a drug.

When an ENABLER has a relapse, it is when they slip up and enable the addict again.

When you get to alanon, "take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth". Listen to what others have to say about detaching.

I get why you say it feels wrong not to try and help him. Do you get why it is wrong to keep helping him?

Enjoy your family of 3. easy child deserves your undivided attention for awhile.

Kathy813

Staff member
Your easy child daughter is still very much a part of your family. Getting married means that she will live somewhere else but still is part of your family.

Timerlady describes her family as a "family of different addresses." Maybe you could start thinking like that. Your kids ~ whether easy child or difficult child ~ will all move away some day. BBK is right that you need to start focusing on your relationship with your husband as well as developing new interests and hobbies.

~Kathy

meowbunny

You're still a family of five. You always will be. You haven't disowned your son. You haven't denied that you love you. He's simply in a place where you can't help him. That doesn't mean you take away your love. It means that you love him enough to let him grow, just like you did your daughter. You've given him the tools, how he uses them is up to you.

And, like your son, she's still your daughter. Just because she now has a husband who should love and cherish her doesn't mean she won't need her mom. She will. All you've done is given her the tools to succeed as an adult and as a wife and that's a pretty big "all!"

Saying you need to detach doesn't mean you don't love. To me, it means you give support and encouragement but let them succeed or fall as they choose. If they choose to succeed, you stand on the sidelines and cheer. If they choose to fail, you stand on the sidelines and cry and pray and hope their bottom isn't too far down and that they succeed in pulling themselves up. Either way, your arms are open to give them hugs.

witzend

I really feel like perhaps we have run the course on this particular issue. You have done everything possible, and it's time to stop. He may or may not be sober again, but it's his body and you can't do it for him. It's not a sore throat.

Perhaps you should try starting a new thread that's about yourself. You aren't him. We aren't advising anything different than we have advised before.

Did anyone define the Serenity Prayer for you yet? I will do so just in case.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;"

(Someone other than me)

"courage to change the things I can;"

(Me, and how I live my life)

"and wisdom to know the difference."

Please post this on your computer and your phone. Put it on your fridge door and on your mirror. The next time you think that you know what it is that will make him better, read it and think about what it means.

Sometimes it just feels so mean to let him feel it. I know that it should be his - but i just hate it for him. The disease is killing him and he is just going around in circles. It always leads back to jaiil for him - so many of his "friends" have never been to jail. He was so much more lucky as far as family goes and having people to care about him than any of his friends. I dont understand it sometimes. It is so hard to turn my back - I dont know what will happen to him now.

But if you stop enabling him, maybe he won't keep going around and around in circles.

If you stop caring about him so much, he will fall on his face, realize what a chooch he is being, and stop doing it.

What aren't you getting about this? He HAS to feel it in order for him to want to stop. If you keep saving him, he will always think that you will save him, and he will keep doing it.

You were doing so good...keep it up...feets don't fail me now...