You know you have a difficult child when . . .

Guidance seeker

Oh and now could I forget this one:

When you unlock your car to go to work at 6.30am one dark winters morning to find his homeless friend who you have never met before sleeping on the back seat!! I nearly passed out with fright.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I guess we WERE the difficult children. We had a party at our flat. The sort of party where we gathered up everyone's car keys as they entered, and expected to find people passed out all over the place in the AM. It was an invitation only party.

The next day, early in the AM, I got up to pee and heard a noise from the bathtub. I pulled the shower curtain aside to see a male I'd never seen before passed out in the bathtub, flat on his back with his legs up the wall. I contemplated this, woke husband to help me roll him on his side and fold him up so he wouldn't choke if he puked, covered him up with a sleeping bag, and we went back to bed.

When we all got up in various states of hung-over/burnt out, we fed everyone, including our stray whom NO-ONE knew, and got started on cleanup. Said stray disappeared right after breakfast.

We have no idea how/when he showed up, no one remembered seeing him there during the party, but somehow, he wound up spending a few hours passed out in our bathtub, getting handed a plate of food in the morning, and left, all without saying a word.

susiestar

Roll With It
GN, I had and attended parties like that in college. I enjoyed them and they were wonderful. But once I had children, I no longer indulged myself in those types of parties.

I don't think ANY of us ever did this in our parents' home. I know I would NEVER have had a bash like that in my parents' house. That is the big difference here.

It isn't that none of us were wild in our youth. Or that we couldn't be wild now. It is that we don't want our homes trashed by our adult kids having tantrums.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
GN, I had and attended parties like that in college. I enjoyed them and they were wonderful. But once I had children, I no longer indulged myself in those types of parties.

I don't think ANY of us ever did this in our parents' home. I know I would NEVER have had a bash like that in my parents' house. That is the big difference here.

It isn't that none of us were wild in our youth. Or that we couldn't be wild now. It is that we don't want our homes trashed by our adult kids having tantrums.

This wasn't a college party. It was in our apartment and both of us were working.

It was actually quite an expensive party as while it was BYOB/W (no harder drugs allowed), we did supply alcohol and of course, snacks, and 2 good meals to the mob.

We were the sort of party givers that if there were intoxicants, people didn't drive home that night, so we did wind up with bodies strewn all over the place.

That was the only time wound up with a mystery party crasher, though.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I actually talked my parents into letting me stay home for 2 weeks while they and my sister went on a road trip. I was 16, and while I certainly partied heavily at that age, I would NEVER have considered having a party at home while my parents were gone.

I was quite convinced that they would've killed me. Same as how I never went into their liquor or medicine cabinet, despite knowing that there were narcotics and benzos in that cabinet.

Different view of boundaries. The only "bad thing" I did while my parents were gone was eat a steak and not replace it. I got busted and replaced it out of my paycheck after they got home. The only reason they got upset is that they had reserved a certain number of steaks for a family cookout and when double-checking a couple of days before, came up one short.

Had they told me the steaks were "reserved", I wouldn't have eaten one. I'd have bought one of my own to start with.