kim75062

Teachers are mandatory reporters which means they can be prosecuted for not reporting. Some teachers get a little nervous because of this and report with little cause. I am sure that when cps comes it will be dismissed. Another school is not a bad idea teachers do talk.

I get there mandated reporters. I'm a nurse myself and know how all that works. The allegation of calling him names, specifically the name that was in the report (strange name to call any child and it wouldn't hurt a typical child feelings) was in an email from the teacher to me dated February 13th. Also in that same email she stated she knows it's not true and to talk to him about making things up. All of a sudden I pissed her off by telling her she needed training to deal with special needs kids and NOW she reported it.

And the worker said she was closing the case today. I don't believe her at all but we will see.

kim75062

Did you show the caseworker the email from the teacher discussing the “word” and how she didn’t believe it?

No I started reading it as she was reading the report in her office. I think she figured it out when I was finishing her sentences.

kim75062

Why do you doubt that they are closing the case?

I've spent the last 48 hours reading horror stories on CPS wrongful removal cases. AND cases where nothing was done and children have been seriously hurt or died as a result of no actions being taken.

At this point I have little faith in this system. But really all I can do is impatiently wait and hope the system works the way it's supposed to.

Triedntrue

I get there mandated reporters. I'm a nurse myself and know how all that works. The allegation of calling him names, specifically the name that was in the report (strange name to call any child and it wouldn't hurt a typical child feelings) was in an email from the teacher to me dated February 13th. Also in that same email she stated she knows it's not true and to talk to him about making things up. All of a sudden I pissed her off by telling her she needed training to deal with special needs kids and NOW she reported it.

And the worker said she was closing the case today. I don't believe her at all but we will see.
I am sorry if i offended you that was not my intent.

AppleCori

I do agree that there are horror stories out there.

Most cases, though, are handled appropriately.

Hopefully, they will close the case and all will be well.

kim75062

Still nothing in the mail from CPS but also haven't heard from them since so I think that's good.

On the other hand DS was on the verge of being taken to the ER Friday for a mental break. He was HORRIBLE at school all day (they never never called me ) and yelled at his Special Education teacher he "doesn't deserve to live" because of his behavior. Luckily the assistant principal seen me at pick up and told me what happened! I called that neuro psy and they said cut the vyvanse by half but said don't restart the abilfy because of weight gain! Because that's really big concern at this time (eye rolls), after arguing with them I got no where. I stopped the vyvanse and restarted the abilfy that afternoon the way it was.

By Friday night he was "ok" but still depressed and mentally exhausted. By Saturday he was getting back to his self more. And Sunday was a normal good day for him. I got ahold of his old psy that dont take out ins and told her what was going on today and she saw him this afternoon. She agreed to stop the vyvanse (as that's most likely the cause) and keep his abilfy the way it was because it was working for the most part. She also said to start trilepal. He took the first dose today and second this evening and has been in the best mood he's been in in months since starting school. She also said school is doing more harm than good and stop sending him. I'm still undecided on that only because he really wants to be there but I'll figure that out this week. She told me keep him home at least until Monday to see how this medication works.

JRC

Oy. I can't parse the medications, school, therapy changes here. I get that you are like "who cares about weight gain" because I've been there with my son. But it does make an impact eventually.

xoxo This is rough stuff you're on. Please keep us posted.

AppleCori

Hi, Kim

It’s sounds like these last few days have been awful!

I agree with the old psy—this school has been harmful to him.

It’s almost a joke that the school called CPS on you, when in actuality, they are at least in part causing the emotional abuse and his low self-esteem.

Maybe it will change with the new medications—who knows.

So sorry that he has to deal with this.

Apple

kim75062

It’s been a while!

Still home schooling. Still the same fight to get him to do anything. The seizure medications have made a huge difference in his mood but have also caused him to gain about 40 pounds so we will have to reevaluate that this month with the psy.

All in all everything isn’t much better with him behavior wise but it’s not any worse so I’m pretty happy about that.

kim75062

He’s going this afternoon to the psy. I’m going to ask to switch to depakote instead of the triliptal. Anyone have experience with this medication with kids? It seems to work wonderfully in my geriatric dementia patients. It chills them out but doesn’t suck the personality out of them like seroquil does.

Last edited:

Crayola13

First of all, I do not teach young children or Special Education. I teach advanced placement high school students. However, I will tell you that based on what I have read and heard from other teachers over the years, your son has a sensory disorder and anxiety. He is not only hypersensitive to sounds, but also to pain. The hands always hurt when learning to write, but most kids get used to it. Your son is hypersensitive to pain or any sensation. He likes to sit on the bean bag because the desk isn't comfortable and hurts. He needs to be able to sit comfortably. The handwriting or anything else that hurts will be difficult in life. He feels pain more so than other people. As long as he can write a little and doesn't dirgfo how to mskm his oetterl and numbers, I tjoth it eouwould better if he could type his assignments. He is obviously a highly intelligent child and should skip one grade, but no more than one grade level because of social reasons. It's necessary for him to be with other kids close to his age. This will help him later in life, particularly at work. He likes to learn, which is great. If you can afford it, he needs to be in a better school, eventually a prep school. He will graduate early.

kim75062

Sueing the school would be pointless. It doesn’t change anything, and it’s really hard and expensive to find a lawyer willing go up against the school district (I’ve called many while he was still attending).