Article on Detachment

Discussion in 'Parent Emeritus' started by recoveringenabler, May 1, 2013.

1. I am going to print this out as a reminder. I fall back on this during each relapse. His drug relapse and my enabling relapses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Willowbe

Willowbe New Member

This is awesome....I have been researching detachment and this says it all. Thank you

3. Donna illig

Donna illig Member

4. MsMlzTwoGo

MsMlzTwoGo New Member

This is the first article that I've read since joining the forum. I need this so much. I'm struggling with a bipolar 23-year-old adopted so who just trashed my room and TV because I wouldn't do anything about the neighbors smoking weed in their apartment. Called the police and they wouldn't take him because things had calmed down and he refuses any help. I'm on my 4th day of attempting to separate myself and detach because this was the final straw. More has happened it the past... but this one did it.

Do you suggest guardianship to force help or continue to let him crash and burn?

Thank you...

5. recoveringenabler

recoveringenabler Well-Known Member Staff Member

Ms Myles, welcome. I'm glad you're here with us.

You may want to remove your picture and your name if that is your real name. This is an anonymous site and it is better for all of us to remain anonymous to protect us and our children.

You've replied to an informational thread, try posting your own thread on one of the forums which fit your circumstances, like Parent Emeritus or substance abuse......

Read through the different forums, you'll find much support here.

You're not alone!

6. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Ditto to above poster
    We have an adopted bipolar daughter ,
    adopted from infancy
    She is a little older than your son
    No way would I live with her
    She was just with us for a few days for the holidays and it was extremely difficult!!!!!!
    I would give him a warning that if he destroys your personal property again you will immediately call the police and then do so
    I would also at least begin to consider future living arrangements for you or him (separate places)
    Would lean against guardianship
    Does he take medication?
    Yes, consider a separate thread with a little more info

7. Copabanana

Copabanana Well-Known Member

I will look for a new thread from you.

Do you know how to do it?

Go to forums, perhaps choose PE and you will see a blue button on the right side, I think, that says post new thread.

Why not tell us some of your story? I have a similar situation and while I reviewed guardianship, decided it would not be helpful in my son's case, and potentially would put me in a difficult spot.

Welcome.

8. MsMlzTwoGo

MsMlzTwoGo New Member

Just learned how... I will share my story. And yes... I'm not sure guardianship is the way to go.

9. MsMlzTwoGo

MsMlzTwoGo New Member

Thank you! I will share the rest soon. He doesn't take anything anymore. (smh)

10. ForeverSpring

ForeverSpring Well-Known Member

I think you need to go to court to prove need of guardianship.

11. Edward B. Artiaga

Edward B. Artiaga New Member

Thanks for sharing.

12. seek

seek Member

The article is very helpful, thank you.

Bri: I am also a new member - resonate with what you wrote (for many reasons) - would PM you, but I don't know if "Conversations" are private (yet - haven't figured out the site).

13. seek

seek Member

How can the article be printed (sorry, I'm new).

Thanks

14. recoveringenabler

Perhaps copy and paste it.

15. RN0441

RN0441 100% better than I was but not at 100% yet

I have a snipping tool program on my work computer and I used that to post it to a word doctor.

16. seek

seek Member

Thanks - it won't let me copy and paste, but I printed it (with a page range, so it wouldn't print the entire thread).

17. Mama5

Mama5 New Member

Thank you! I copied and pasted this article to my desktop. Will read it daily!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  18. Memedixie

Memedixie Member

19. Memedixie

Memedixie Member

I am so lost. I need help. Can't sleep but will have to try. I will write more this weekend. Detachment is my only hope.

20. recoveringenabler

I'm sorry Memedixie, hang in there and write this weekend, you're not alone, we're here....
    (((HUGS)))