As expected:

AppleCori

That's good.

He hasn't worn out his welcome with these new people so maybe he will have time to get a job while staying there.

Things could be worse, you know.

He is learning to fend for himself. He is hopefully becoming more confident in his abilities.

I think he is doing better for himself than we all thought he would a year ago.

Hang in there.

Apple

Jabberwockey

Is your son staying with 'a' couple or 'THE' couple?

The one from his 'swinging' days?

To the best of our knowledge its not the "swinging" couple but we don't know for sure. Unless they've moved its not them. Actually, don't even know for sure if its a couple or not. We might get some details tonight.

Lil

To the best of our knowledge its not the "swinging" couple but we don't know for sure. Unless they've moved its not them. Actually, don't even know for sure if its a couple or not. We might get some details tonight.

Actually I'm sure. He told me her first name...different woman.

Jabberwockey

I should have been more specific. He never contacted us with a time and after almost an hour and a half of waiting for him to respond, Lil texted him that we were leaving and if he didn't call us we were going to eat. He called after we had ordered the appetizer. I was proud of Lil! When she walked away to talk to him, the restaurant was VERY noisy, I had expected her to be gone for a while talking to him. She was back in less than five minutes. She said that he started to give her attitude and she shut him down. He tried to say he was giving attitude because she was. She reminded him that she was the parent and had earned the right to give attitude sometimes. He shut up.

Lil

And today we took him to lunch today. It was okay. Not great, but okay. He did gripe a lot about the family and finally we got that stopped, telling him you don't pick your family and we would be family with them like it or not, so what's done is done, let it go. It actually wasn't as simple as it sounds writing it out...but the food came and the subject changed. He's renting a room from a girl he went to school with and her husband and it'll be $150 a month, all utilities included...which is nice...if he gets a job great. He doesn't have to pay until the end of the month. We did buy him some groceries at Aldi's, and a couple packs of cigarettes, gave him a blanket and pillow and towels from the house and some tomatoes from my garden to "gift" to the house.

All things considered, it could have been worse. He may have actually matured a teeny-tiny bit...not a lot.

It really all hinges on him getting a job.

Copabanana

Hi Lil.

It all sounds good. Especially the living situation and the cost. You handled lunch beautifully. He has got to understand that the only one who will be on these tangents (especially with feelings about the family) is him. You made that clear.

I think the level of support sounds perfect.

It must be a relief. He has a roof, a blanket and a pillow. Food, to get a start. With food stamps and general assistance he will have a living through the winter...worst case. And he will likely get a job.

He now knows that there is no easy street. There is no free lunch anywhere that does not demand cooperation and respect. You do not pay, you do not play.

A lot of learning in a short time.

You are doing really, really well, Lil.

Lil

There is no General Assistance in the state of Missouri. The program was done away about 10 years ago. (I know, I presided over the hearings.) Food stamps don't pay rent. He must get a job. There is no other way. We shall see.