Becoming involved again...

pasajes4

I called the manager on the carpet for her treatment of the employees at this mcdonalds. There are a couple of older employees and 3 special needs employees that work the early morning shift. There is no need to hurl insults at anyone. I let her know that as a customer it is very uncomfortable to witness the mistreatment of another human. It would seem that other customers felt the same way and just were waiting for someone else to speak up. I also contacted the franchise owner to let them know.

I think that if you witness this type of behavior you should say something, The employee can't if they want to keep their job.

Lil

I am SURE Chick-father in law-A is not like that

I love our auto-correct on this board. LOL This isn't quite as amusing as Jabber and I buying a easy child at a garage sale...but still pretty funny. lol

I never go to Taco Bell. Pretty sure if I heard a manager swearing like that at employees, I'd speak up too.

My son actually asked me if I'd ever had to deal with a boss screaming and cursing. In fact, I had. When I was 19 I worked at a deli in a resort area. I knew the owner had a habit of yelling at people, but I hadn't been the target...until one day. I don't remember what I did wrong, but he just screamed at me like you wouldn't believe. I walked away, quietly did my job until the end of the shift, then caught him in his office and advised him I would NOT be spoken to like that and if he wanted to fire me - do it - but if he ever screamed at me again, I would walk out and not come back. He gave a half-apology...but never did it again. Of course, I was one of his oldest employees at the time and often the only one allowed to serve liquor (couldn't ring it up, but could deliver it to the tables) so he really kind of needed me.

My son asked what I would have done if the manager told me he didn't give a carp how I felt and he'd talk any way he wanted? The fact is, I'd have walked out...just like my son did. So, assuming he's telling the truth about how he was treated, I can't say I blame him.

It's just such a pity, because I worry he'll have a problem with finding a job, and won't find an apartment now. :frown:

Jabberwockey

So, assuming he's telling the truth about how he was treated, I can't say I blame him.

Unfortunately, the telling the truth part is the issue. Not saying he's outright lying, but he does tend to have a flair for the dramatic and over exaggerate simple things. Things like this didn't happen back home as the manager would quickly find several angry parents and if it didn't resolve quickly, would hurt their business. The difference between city and small town employment. I still remember how mad my dad was when the owner of KFC had her crying her eyes out when she got home and he wasn't trying to be an ass. He was just an insensitive jerk.

Lil

...and we're STILL waiting on the house! They still have it "under review". MAKE UP YOUR MIND FANNIE MAE!

BusynMember

Get out of fast food then. It's tough. Also, I have tried working in fast food and visit fast food too and never heard managers swearing. Maybe it depends on where you live and the behavior expected in that town. I would not necessarily believe the swearing. If it is that bad, encourage him to look for another type of job, such as retail, where they HAVE to act nice around customers. Stock boys. Cashiers. Lots of other jobs beyond fast food. My bosses were mostly very nice to me even though I struggled so I am leery of hearing that somebody was spoken to that way, however there are jobs where bosses are nice to you. But they WILL fire you if you can't catch on, usuallly in a nice way. Cried plenty whihle getting fired and the bosses felt badly, but they still fired me. If you don't catch on as fast as others, you will be fired.

InsaneCdn

Around here, the basic bottom-of-the-heap job for teenagers is... pumping gas. Outside, all weather, hop-to-it service, NO TIPS. If you're good? you get promoted to cashier. From there, anything else in retail is within reach. They have turn-over, they expect it, but something like half end up working in other parts of the system before they move on.

BusynMember

Ach, Insane. You can't get a job even pumping gas here. It used to be a job for many unskilled people. The job no longer exists. We pump our own gas.

InsaneCdn

I live in the "back-woods". Not quite, but that kind of mentality. We LIKE our gas jockeys. (Trust me... at -40, they are a wonderful invention!) We frequent stations that have them. It's a major customer management point. So much so that all the major outfits have them... except in oil-field country, where every available young person doesn't need to pump gas for minimum wage when they can earn double that plus overtime as field hands... then the gas stations can't find anybody to hire!

BusynMember

IC, I kind of live in a sort of back woods too. NOBODY hires gas pumpers. Half the time I wish we HAD them! Not alway in the mood too pump!

AppleCori

Last time I had an attendant pump my gas was in Erie Pennsylvania. Only one gas station in town still did that. I think they charged more than their self-serve pump, but worth it in that weather sometimes!

Lil

No gas pumpers here either. Everything is convenience stores (most of which want you to be 21 because of the liquor store portion) and self-service.

He is also putting in at a grocery store and Dollar General. I know they're both hiring. He put my number and I haven't gotten a call yet. I don't think he's saying everyone was terrible, just the one manager. The other he called "a cool guy". If this bad guy said half the stuff that he says he said, he really should lose his job. But realistically, it wouldn't surprise me.

Here we usually have a choice of self service gas pump, or wait for the attendant. I wait. I'm on the downside of 50 and am embarrassed to admit I have never pumped my own gas. I wouldn't even know what to do if my life depended on it.

I was hoping you'd mention something about the house.
Sorry the bank is taking so long..

Lil

...and the little house bites the dust.

Maybe.

Last time they took another offer and the people backed out. Then they lowered the price. Might happen again. We'll keep our eyes on it, but three offers is all they get.

Kathy813

Staff member
Zaxby's is awesome . . . and addictive. They are opening a location just two miles from our house. I can't wait!

~Kathy

Lil

Well we messed up on the interview day for Arbys and they're Thursday BUT he went in and asked if they'd see him today and looks like he'll get it. The hiring manager wasn't there, but the one who was said he was perfect. Didn't hurt that he still has his uniform. LOL. All in all, looking very hopeful.