Great Healthy Recipes Found Here!

Mattsmom277

I found this recipe online and then altered it to its current form. It's very forgiving so if there is something you want to omit or swap for a different flavor, no worries. I tend to not really measure my spices and use these more as a guideline, adding more spice for me spice lovers in the house. They like flaming hot tabasco etc

Salsa Taco Chili Mac

2 tablespoons oil
1 green pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 large celery ribs, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
28 oz can tomatoes
28 oz combination of salsa and/or tomato sauce
2 cups broth, chicken or beef
1 lb macaroni, cooked al dente
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef or sausage (I mix)
2 teaspoons Tabasco
1 tablespoon worcestershire
2 tablespoons chili powder

In pot, heat oil and meat and begin browning. While working, season with hot sauce, chili powder, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Add peppers and onions, celery and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes (or a bit longer if needed).
Add all tomatoes, salsa and/or tomato sauce and bring to a bubble. Reduce to simmer, add cooked macaroni noodles before serving. We too each bowl with a small spoonful of sour cream and chives.

I serve these with very basic oven baked quesadillas.

Paint one side of tortilla with light covering of oil (I use virgin olive). Place oil down on cookie sheet. Mix shredded cheese (I blend a couple of types) with chopped green onions and spread evenly. Top with another tortilla, brush top with oil. Bake 10 minutes, cool for 5. Slice. I use a pizza cutter and make pizza type wedges.

Mattsmom277

Here is a variant of cornbread. It does not use cornmeal and tasted wonderful.

1 15 oz can kernel corn (or frozen, thawed, how I did it)
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup soft butter
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar (it is sweet enough to omit of desired, or reduced. I put a tiny amount and realized I could have skipped it altogether)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (or less, I omitted entirely)

Stir dry ingredients. In another bowl mix rest of ingredients, folding in corn last. Mix dry into wet until blended. Pour into greased dip dish pan (I used a deep dish glass pie pan). Bake at 400 for 25 minutes (or golden). Check with toothpick. I think mine took a little longer.

You may also use only one egg and add instead of second egg, reserved corn liquid
Recipe holds up well without sugar and can jazzed up with savory type spices and herbs of desired for a mix of sweet and spicy.