Parenting skills

Marguerite

Often we have told newbies that just by coming to this site, they are good parents. And I do think this is true, in enough cases to justify the statement.

I see people who come here to this site, in different groups. Some are here because they find the communication with other parents dealing with similar problems, to be affirming and encouraging.

Some come here because the site gives them backbone. (I consider myself to be in both of these groups).

Some come here because they're not sure if they're doing the right thing, and wt to run things past other parents.

There are different degrees of desperation - some are utterly lost and at their wits' end, others are on a fact-finding mission.

And some come here (not often) who I feel haven't got a clue about what parenting is supposed to be about and don't want to be told.

With the various reasons for being here - we work it out fairly quickly. I've learned to not post if it's totally out of my experience and understanding, or if I feel there is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, or that I feel is not going to be heard. I especially avoid posting if I feel it's not going to be heard, or if I am concerned that the situation being described is just too far out of my ability to help.

A hypothetical example: "I don't know what to do with my kid. He just sits and stares at me, or cringes when I walk past - I find his behaviour insulting. It's not as if I hit him that often; I only had to take my shoe off to him twice yesterday. Don't you get sick of goody two shoes who insist that belting a kid who really needs it, is really child abuse? I mean, c'mon..."

As I said, hypothetical. But very difficult to say to them, "You're a really good parent"...

The thing is, the responses on tis site are not just to the individual messages. We respond to each other and people lurk far more than they post. If we don't say it to them in response to their post, then we are saying it in response to other posts and THAT is what sends strong messages about what works and what doesn't.

Back to Sara's original point - I am probably going to upset a few people before they read between my lines. But yes, I do believe that the way we parent and discipline our kids has, in a lot of cases, aggravated the problems we are dealing with. BUT THIS IS NOT BECAUSE WE DID THE WRONG THING. It was not bad parenting. It was merely that we used parenting techniques which were wrong, for that child, due to a pre-existing underlying condition.

Sometimes that pre-existing condition can be a previous carer's abuse or poor handling of that child.

I look at how husband & I parent the kids now, and how we used to. I cringe at how we tried to bully difficult child 1 out of making his noises, or tried to shout some common sense into him. WE GOT IT WRONG. But we are both doing things that worked for our parents, with us and our siblings.
These things did not work with our difficult children because there were other factors that we were unaware of. We misread our own children, we made assumptions (again, based on the way we were parented) and got it wrong.

We could have lucked out and got it right. But if we had, we never would have come looking for a website like this one.

So yes, I do think we need to SEE that often, we have made things worse because even good, effective discipline methods in all the good parenting books just happened to be wrong, for our child.

That doesn't mean that the problem is due to bad parenting. If anything, you could argue that the problem was due to good, consistent parenting but using methods which are contraindicated for that particular underlying condition.

I've used the hypothetical example before, of the blind child in the classroom being punished for failing to copy accurately from the blackboard.

Closer to reality perhaps, is the deaf child being punished for inattention in the classroom. This is unfortunately a common occurrence when the teacher (and the parents) do not know that the child is deaf. Why doesn't the child let someone know? Because to a child who has ALWAYS been deaf, nothing has changed. Surely it's like this for everyone? But if the teacher doesn't know, and can only see a child who seems to ignore what he's told and to do what he wants, it seems like disobedience. And teachers punish insolence and disobedience.
To punish where it is inappropriate, can aggravate bad behaviour. It also sends a message to the child that no matter how hard they try, they can never get it right. So after a while they stop trying and accept the belief that they get punished because they are innately bad. It is their lot in life, to be the bad one.
Imagine what this does to a child's self-esteem!

We share information on this site, ideas that help us see our children in a different light. Once we get a better perspective - "change our mindset" as I told one parent, who promptly misunderstood me and got very huffy - we stand a better chance of giving our children the more appropriate and relevant discipline methods which take their unique problems into account.

You shouldn't punish what a child can't help. And there's no point punishing when the child already knows the lesson. Parents of PCs may never know the problems that can develop when we do things exactly the way they do, but with a difficult child instead of a easy child.

So to answer Sara's question in a nutshell - consider two families, side by side. One family is exclusively easy child. The other family has difficult children. Both families use exactly the same discipline methods for the same infractions. The easy child family kids improve their behaviour; the difficult child family kids rapidly get worse.
Is it bad parenting? No.
Did the parenting method contribute to the problem? Yes.
Is it the parents' fault? Yes, and no. Again, we're talking about blame, for something that simply couldn't be helped.

If we aim to not punish a child for something they simply didn't understand, or couldn't help - then we should extend the same understanding to the parents whose discipline techniques (which would have been perfect for a good, malleable, capable easy child child) were simply the wrong fit for the difficult child they didn't fully understand at that time.

But as parents, we have a responsibility to learn, and to apply that learning so we can ensure that what we do with our children is as good a 'fit' as we can get.

We want our kids to improve. Therefore WE must also improve - as parents and as human beings. We need to forgive ourselves, and each other, because we have a lot of unlearning to do.

And we need to treat our kids as we would want to be treated ourselves.

On this site we get a broad spectrum of parents dealing with a broad spectrum of problems. Some of us learn; some of us don't.

For a doctor to tell us that we're bad parents, and tat our child's disability has been caused by bad parenting - it doesn't sit well. And frankly, I think it's putting the cart before the horse. It's the other way around - the disability in the child has led to the parents' methods, which would normally be valid, being a bad fit FOT THAT CHILD.

So yes, parenting methods need to be changed, for so many of us. But not because WE got it wrong, but because OUR CHILD is the wrong fit for that method.

A doctor prescribes antibiotics, but the patient develops an allergic reaction. Is it the doctor's fault? Well, not really (although it depends on how you view it). But the doctor has a responsibility to his patient to change the antibiotic to one which is appropriate to the need (so the drug will do what the particular disease requires to be done in order to cure it) and also to choose one which the patient is likely to better tolerate.

Marg

F

flutterbee

I think about this subject a lot. It seems that we are discussing this subject only as it pertains to this board, so I'll address that first.

I tend to give the benefit of doubt and assume that parents that come to this board and pour out their hearts truly love their children and want to do what's best for them. We have had some that clearly think they can force they're child into being better by round hole - square peg parenting. They don't tend to last too long here. I also realize that we all are all human and are, therefore, all fallible and we make parenting mistakes every day of the week. We have weak moments, frustration, or sometimes cave for just a moments peace.

I can't remember anyone ever saying 'you are the reason your child has this disability'. However, if someone posts here and asks for advice, opinions, etc, they open the door to just that. I know some people have advised me to do things with my daughter that I don't feel are in her best interest or that are helpful long term and in some cases, knowing my daughter as I do, would set any progress back. I'm sure people have been annoyed that I don't agree with their opinions. And I admit that I sometimes get frustrated hearing 'this is what you should do' when I've already explained why I don't. I know my child best. I am open to suggestions, but some things I'm firm on. Some things I'm firm on just for that moment in time because of her volatile state, while others I'm just flat out firm on. Totally confused? I second-guess myself every single day. And every day I try to do the best with what I know and feel in my gut. But, it takes a lot to post about my daughter and when I do, I'm usually feeling beaten down and/or very frustrated and helpless. While I may WANT to hear, 'you're doing such a wonderful job' it may not necessarily be what I NEED to hear if I could be doing better. And sometimes it's hard to swallow. It still doesn't mean I don't need to hear it.

That's the beauty of this board, though. I do learn things that I had never considered before. Even the things I don't agree with at the time of the post, may become relevant at a later time. Something may happen and I can say, ohhhhh...what so and so recommended would really be helpful here. Or the experience/insight of those that have gone before may seem so foreign to me that I'm not ready to accept them at that time. But the member has been gracious enough to share it with me and I keep it tucked away.

I've found myself using techniques lately and then thinking afterward, 'well, I just help the mirror up to my child' (one of Fran's lines) or something else that another member has shared. It's pretty neat that I have this community that I belong to where I can share and learn these skills and techniques or even give a name to something I've been doing all along. I feel like you guys are here supporting me even when I'm not online. LOL

Ok. Enough rambling.

In real life, though, I seem to find a lot lacking with parenting. It seems that a lot of parents don't really parent anymore. They feed, clothe, and send to school, but there's just not a lot of parenting going on.

The child that I used to call difficult child 2 or my second son, since December was first on house arrest, then in drug rehab, then in foster care. He's now in his second placement because he ran away from the first home. He just turned 16. He would have been a challenging child no matter what, but he was never a priority to either one of his parents, he never had stability and his parents stuck their heads in the sand. It's devastating to me and I am so angry at his parents that I have no words. Maybe even if they had done something to help him this still would have happened, but I feel like they never gave him a chance. And why he's in foster care, I don't know. He was never violent at home. There was never concern for someone's safety, unless something has drastically changed in the last year. His mom is a stay at home mom. You stick a kid that never felt wanted in foster care and what do you think you're going to get?

I also still have 2 extra kids at my house. They've been here since Sunday. They left Thursday afternoon and returned Friday evening. When the kids are here even when my son isn't and they like to hang out and just chat with me it makes you wonder what they're missing at home. I promise, I'm not that exciting. And they don't come here and have no rules. They have rules and responsibilities and I expect certain behavior. I do let them be kids, but they have rules. So many parents around here let their children sleep over with their girlfriend/boyfriend. They're take is that they're going to do it anyway so I'd rather them do it here. How is that a valid argument? Where is the parenting in that? It is still our responsibility to teach our values and morals and to limit temptation - especially with a teen's impulsiveness. A toddler might still try to touch a hot stove even if you tell him no; it doesn't mean you let him do it anyway.

And then there's this. Can we all just agree that this is bad parenting?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25504304/

Marguerite

Interesting news item, Heather. And while a part of me admires the resourcefulness of the boy, I am also horrified at the mother apparently unconcerned by the sudden appearance of a police car, twice, driven by her 13 year old son (surely not legally allowed to drive at 13? I know some states allow young drivers, but 13?).

What I would wish for out of this - that someone, maybe in the police force, would take this young boy under their wing and teach him what is right and what is wrong, as well as give him a sense of direction and a channel for that ingenuity of his.

As for your own parenting methods - if you feel they're working for you, guided by your measures, then that is good. At least you are thinking about it, mulling it over, which is more than a lot of parents seem to do (in the big bad world, I mean - not here).

However, I am one of those parents who let my kids sleep over with their partners, once it became obvious that they were going to do it anyway. But I DID make sure they were protected medically and they also got a lecture on sexual responsibility on a lot of other levels as well. They certainly didn't have their first sexual encounter sanctioned by us under this roof, or even enabled. But it's unfortunately considered child abuse to fit your daughter with a chastity belt. At least difficult child 1 is doing the honourable thing by his girlfriend. She does sleep over here, but I have always provided guests with their own bed (and room).

It's not an easy call for anyone to have to make and I have been lectured to about it by a couple of other parents I know (notably, not by anyone with children as old as mine yet; and as their children finally were old enough to have the same problems, these parents mysteriously stopped lecturing me!).
However, although it was a choice not made lightly, I look back and still feel we made the right decision. Of course I would have preferred they wait, but I did the best I could in teaching them what was right and had to accept that they made their own decisions based on a combination of our parental teaching and their own social influences. They were legally old enough, so there really weren't many options that wouldn't have also driven them into more dangerous territory.
My views on this have had to change a great deal. In fact, my views on a lot of things have had to change a great deal, whenever I have been confronted with the gap between how I want things to be, and how things actually are.

I liked your analogy of the few parents who come here who seem to think they can force their parenting style to work - "square peg, round hole parenting", you called it. Very apt. And you're right - such parents do not last on this site. I think those of us who DO stick around have definitely learnt that lesson thoroughly.

Marg

slsh

member since 1999
I haven't read the responses so forgive me if I repeat - I'll read them after I post (don't want to be swayed ;) ).

I think that the suggestion that our parenting is the root cause is our difficult children' behaviors is flat out wrong. Lord knows, we heard that in the beginning and in my case anyway, if the offending professional had anything useful to contribute it was lost after that first statement that I was the cause (or Boo was the cause, which we also ran into quite a bit in the bad old days).

However, I absolutely do think that our parenting skills can at the very least perpetuate difficult child behaviors and in some cases make them worse as time goes on. We cannot raise our kids using Dr. Spock. We *must* alter our parenting skills, fine tune them, really get on top of our game. Raising pcs is comparatively a walk in the park - yes, you have to be consistent but not to the degree that you must with a difficult child (for example). Consistency was one of my two toughest skills to master with thank you, the other being having an unemotional response to his behaviors. And *that* one is the exact opposite of how I've raised my pcs - they respond when mom is disappointed and therefore change their behaviors. If I show disappointment to thank you, it only reinforces the behavior.

I think the knee-jerk reaction to the suggestion that we bone up on our parenting skills is pretty normal. It carries to me an implicit criticism - that I'm not doing it "right". I do wish professionals would present it in a different light though. When thank you was 4, 5, and 6, the message I was getting was that if *I* changed how I was doing things (and usually that involved that doggone reward chart, over and over and over again, which was always utterly futile!), thank you would be just fine. I finally cried "uncle", swallowed my pride, did it their way, and as thank you continued to spiral downward the professionals finally were able to look past my so-called "poor parenting skills" to other possible causes.

And I have to admit - we had one young man, an Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), who came into our home several times a week for almost a year to help us work on parenting skills, and he was very good. That's when I really figured out that my general disorganization and inconsistency was making things worse, as was my emotional reponse to his behavior. Not that by fixing my parenting problems it made life all roses and butterflies, but it did at least give me a certain amount of control over the situation and absolutely gave me more credibility with future professionals when I said we did this, this, and this, and were still dealing with these kinds of behaviors.

To put it in a different perspective - as it became apparent that Boo had a really severe disability, my parenting of him had to change. I had to be much more in tune to subtle changes, to muscle tone, to anything that was just a smidge off. I had to become well versed in PT and Occupational Therapist (OT) strategies, get much more on top of "normal" development and how to try to help him hit milestones. I had to learn how to change g-tubes, check for pneumonia and wheezing, do various medical procedures at home. It was much easier for me because no one expected me to know it straight off the bat - I wasn't "blamed" (in my perception) for not knowing how to do it.

I think at the end of the day, the changes I had to make in my parenting style were no less drastic with thank you but the presentation by professionals of me needing to make those changes was (again, just my perception) much more judgemental.

Hope that makes sense. ;)

F

flutterbee

Marg,

When my son is of the age of majority (legally an adult), I will probably revisit the idea of girlfriend/boyfriend sleep overs. But, I'm talking about 15 and 16 year old kids whose parents allow them to sleep over, not only in the same room, but in the same bed. I don't find their argument of 'they're going to do it anyway' to be valid. That argument really says - why bother parenting if kids are just going to do what they want. We have a responsibility to protect our kids and sometimes that means from themselves.

My son asked me this week if his girlfriend could stay the night. I told him that I am not at all comfortable with it. He said they don't 'do anything', but asked if I would feel better if he bought condoms. I said, 'Yes. Well, no." LOL His girlfriend wants to wait to have sex until she's married. I talked to my son about temptation and if something happens, how would he feel if she regrets it later or feels bad about herself? It's so much more than just having sex and worrying about STD's and pregnancy.

I know of many parents who just don't want to be 'the bad guy'. They don't want to tell their kids 'no', or they don't want the argument that will ensue. I've had parents tell their kids they can do something at my house knowing that I would say no so that they wouldn't have to be the bad guy. It's incredibly frustrating.

DammitJanet

This is completely...kinda...off topic but I wish I hadnt had sleepovers so young. My mom pushed me into having boyfriends spend the night with me from age 14 up. Yeah...nice.

Now I am one who does have Corys girlfriend living with us. And Jamies girlfriend lived here when he was in boot. But everyone was grown up...or I think Jamies girlfriend moved in here when her mom kicked her out two weeks before her 18th birthday but she had already graduated high school. Corys girlfriend is 18 now. I didnt do the boyfriend/girlfriend thing in the house when they were young but then they didnt really ask either. I didnt allow anyone to spend the night.

klmno

Wow, Janet- I thought my mom was (is) not very in tune with family life, but I would wonder if that was even legal. No wonder you're trying the therapy you are. I had a therapist who worked with me on some things pertaining to my mom and childhood and how to take responsibility/control of my life as an adult (I was in my early 20's). I wonder if it was similar.

Anyway- on this subject, I think a lot like Heather. But, when difficult child reaches an older age, I can see doing just what Marg has done, too. It's easy to say all that now while mine is 13 yo!!

Marguerite

OK Heather. You qualified that the way I would. I do agree, letting a girlfriend/boyfriend sleep over in the same bed and ASSUMING they're already active - that is asking for trouble and definitely sending the wrong message. Especially as young as that. And I agree - just letting them because you don't want to be the ogre is also wrong. A parent is a parent, not a best buddy (necessarily). It can be lonely at the top!

But past a certain point - we stopped fighting them, we stopped spending the night (one parent or the other taking turns) sleeping on the threshhold of the girls' bedroom door.

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
This is an interesting thread. As a teacher I am always evaluating myself and trying to improve. I would hate to think I hadn't improved in the about 20 years I've been teaching. As a teacher, I need to make sure I am giving the students what they need. It means different things for different students. I must continue to grow and improve for their sake.

The same goes with my parenting. I need to evaluate myself and try to be the parent my children need. That has meant many changes for me over the years. I've had to learn (and am still learning) what type of parent my children need me to be.

One reason I came here was looking for different ideas on how to deal with a child like my difficult child. I've gotten so many ideas and support it's been amazing. I believe it's helped me to become a better parent and a better advocate for my child.

So yes, I think how we parent has a great effect on our children. I don't think, however, that it would make my difficult child not a difficult child. He would have these same issues no matter the parenting style. I think the parenting style can make it better or worse but doesn't prevent or cure the issues a difficult child has.

BusynMember

Kids who are different defy categories of parenting styles and make you mix and match. You can not parent a child on the autism spectrum in any one way. You have to be flexible and see w hat works as these kids think differently from other kids. Hub and I never tried "you respect us or else." We never hit our kids either (I feel that is bad parenting and won't hesitate to say so). When son said "I hate you" we didn't take it personally. We kind of did the baskets before "The Explosive Child" came out, and our son became a more compliant child as he got help. He is almost fifteen, but he is still parented to his individual needs. Our daughter who took drugs was obviously troubled, but not autistic. By fifteen she was well into rebellion mode. We parented her differently than our son, but nothing worked because the drugs were more powerful than us. At eighteen we played hardball and made her leave--that worked for her. We knew she could land on her feet as, underneath the drug use, was a strong young lady who had ALWAYS kept a job and was a survivor. Our instincts proved correct.
There is not only no one way to parent (nor one parenting style you need to stick to all the time) but there is no one way to parent all your children. No matter what, we could never send our autistic son out on his own at 18. Ever.
Each child is different. The only place I draw the line for all kids is verbal abuse (not that I've never done it, but I'm quick to apologize) and physical abuse (I feel that this just adds to the problem). Just my extra .02 :)

DammitJanet

I am of two minds.

I think there are biochemical disorders that you are born with and develop over time. Something like diabetes or seizures. You cant parent them or discipline them out of a child but you can learn to fit your parenting around that childs set of problems.

There are also kids who have purely behavioral disorders which end as personality disorders later on that normally stem from some sort of invalidating condition in the childs life in the early years. It can be inadequate parenting, an illness, abuse, tormenting from peers...many things. For some reason the child doesnt feel safe and validated. Sometimes no matter what the parents do, what the child feels is simply not enough to make up for what they interpret.

Sara PA

I stongly believe that the medical profession should start differentiating NOW between neurobiological behavioral disorders and psychological behavioral disorders. I think it does no one any good by lumping them together.

While a child with a psychological-based behavioral disorder like Janet refers to may benefit from a specific type of therapy f--and a specific type of parenting -- a person with the same observable behaviors but with a neurobiological-based disorder may not be affected in the least -- or even made worse.

As it is, our kids -- despite our best efforts to have it be otherwise -- are all thrown into the same pile of "behavioral disorders" and subjected to the same shot-gun appoach of treatments, too often depending on who their doctors happen to be. There is little or no differentiation between behaviors caused by neurobiological problems and psychological trauma. Too many health care professionals lump everything together simply as "behavioral disorders" and treat them pretty much the same.

Because so many of us have an extremely difficult time just finding a child psychiatrist and therapist, we are at the mercy of our luck of the draw for exactly how competent their medical (make no mistake, this is medical) caregivers are.

My case is an example. After firing the psychiatrist who couldn't recognize an adverse reaction to an antidepressant when she admitted it to the hospital after a suicide attempt and whose only possible explanation for my son's behavior was his relationship with me, we had to find a new doctor. After looking in my county for a good option, we ended up driving an hour and a half away to the suburbs of Philadelphia for a doctor who, though he too failed to recognize the adverse reaction, was willing to consider the possibility and provided the support my son needed when he finally refused to any longer take the antidepressant and benzo. I had options. We had more than doctor available in this county. We had many doctors available within a two hour drive. We had the means to pay out of pocket and wait for the insurance company to reimburse us. Not everyone is that lucky.

Allan-Matlem

Hi,
in my humble opinion poor parenting does not explain the extreme behavior problems which kids over here have but poor parenting can make things a lot worse. When it comes to teenagers I tend to see a poor parent-child relationship playing a major role. The danger in ignoring the role of parents is place a emphasis on medication and behavior modification to treat the symptons and not be involved in helping the child develop cognitive skills and relationship building. Sara PA , the article you shared on the 4 parenting styles does not include the ' working with approaches such as CPS = explosive child , Unconditional parenting =Alfie Kohn , Myrna Shure series - raising a thinking child etc. Baumrind's criterea has been rejected putting authoratarian and authoratiitve parenting in basically the same box.

Here is part of a paper by a psychologist that refers mainly to teenagers

My own view is that in the vast majority of cases of acting-out adolescents, the
major causative factor is deficits in parenting and the resulting deficiencies in the parent –
child relationship. (As discussed below in the “Parental Attitudes” section, the problem
is usually with parental attitudes more than with parenting skills). The many risk factors
noted in the above-mentioned report certainly contribute to the problem. In my opinion,
however, they do so mainly by making it more difficult for the parent to maintain a
positive and supportive attitude toward their children. In addition, many of the symptoms
noted in the report (e.g., anxiety, perfectionism, Oppositional Defiant Disorder), are most
often themselves reactions to poor parenting practices. The necessary ingredient that
actually causes a child to rebel is the anger and frustration resulting from feeling
unaccepted and rejected, by his or her parents

RESISTANCE TO ACKNOWLEDGING THE ROLE OF PARENTS
There is a great deal of resistance, both among professionals (frum and secular)
and the general public, to acknowledging the central role played by parents in the
development of emotional difficulties in their children. I will cite a few examples of this
reluctance; first in the secular, professional community:
Researchers have found clear evidence of the high degree of childhood sexual
victimization among severely mentally ill women. The reluctance to report these figures
was openly expressed by some of the major researchers in this area.
At the same time, clinical researchers working in the area of severe mental
illness have been understandably wary of focusing on the problem of early
abuse in this population. There has been a reluctance, for example, to
disinter the theoretical trend of blaming families for causing major
psychiatric disorders. Current treatment models emphasize enhancing
current adjustment rather than understanding past events… (Rosenberg,
Drake, & Mueser, 1997, p. 261).
Can you imagine trying to treat an emotionally disturbed adult without relating to
the sexual abuse he or she suffered as a child!? How effective can such treatment be?
Yet this is what some experts are recommending.
Another example is research done in the area of “expressed emotions [EE]” and
psychiatric illness. Years of research clearly show that a psychiatric patient released from
the hospital to live with his or her high EE family is twice as likely to relapse and return
to the hospital as the patient returning to a low EE family. As noted by a prominent
researcher in this area (Hooley, 1998); “The term EE [expressed emotion] is rather
misleading since EE is not a measure of how willing a relative is to express emotion or to
vent feelings. Rather EE is a reflection of the extent to which the relative expresses
critical, hostile, or emotionally over-involved attitudes toward the patient” (p. 631). Note
the reluctance of researchers to be honest and open about the fact that they are speaking
about a critical family. Instead, they camouflage this information behind the euphemism
“expressed emotion.”
The above-mentioned researcher, after noting the powerful effect of EE on the
relapse rate of psychiatric patients, adds: “These data do not, of course, mean that
families cause schizophrenia.” I wrote to this researcher and asked if there was any
research evidence that high EE does not cause schizophrenia? She replied that “the
appropriate studies have not been done [but] because of the past tradition of blaming
families for causing schizophrenia, it is important that researchers in this area don’t go
beyond the science in making any unwarranted inferences.” To me it seems highly
improbable that high EE should have such an impact in causing relapse of schizophrenia
and yet not be involved in causing the condition in the first place. The truth is that
contrary to this researcher’s assertion, there is evidence that children in high EE families
are more likely to suffer from serious mental illness in adolescence (see studies cited in
Karon & Widener, 1994).
There is more recent evidence of the connection between an emotionally
unhealthy childhood home environment and the development of schizophrenia. A recent
review of schizophrenia research in the prestigious journal Acta Psychiatrica
Scandinavica - described by many as “earth shattering” - provides evidence that at least
two-thirds (in some studies up to 97%) of the individuals suffering from schizophrenia
suffered childhood physical or sexual trauma.
The authors of this study (Read, van Os, Morrison, & Ross, 2005) cite many
studies that point to a significant overlap between the diagnostic constructs of
schizophrenia, dissociative disorders and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Since
many contemporary clinicians are biased in their perception of schizophrenia as a
biological disease - in my understanding, a bias reflecting the emotional resistance in the
community at large to acknowledge the trauma that many children suffer in their own
families - they don’t ask the questions that would uncover the history of abuse that would
allow the diagnosis of PTSD. This bias has serious clinical implications as effective,
evidence-based psychosocial treatments for psychosis are abandoned for exclusively
psychopharmacological treatments. The authors report on “a large, multi-centre study
[that found] that psychological approaches are more effective than medication for
psychotic people who suffered childhood trauma…. For some, simply making a
connection between their life history and their previously incomprehensible symptoms
may have a significant therapeutic effect [p. 344].” Unfortunately, the traumatic history
underlying the psychosis is so often left undiscovered, depriving the patients of needed
psychological treatment.

Allan

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I can easily see how someone who has a neurobiological predisposition, and who is raised in a negative environment, would inevitably see the full, and perhaps earlier expression of that congenital condition in response to that negative environment.

I think you cannot escape nature. Nurture can either magnify or mitigate the effects of our nature.

As we grow and mature, how much of our nuture becomes permanently integrated in our nature? This is what I struggle with now as an adult, and also worry about with my parenting skills.

Sara PA

There has been research which indicates that there is a genetic component to some PTSD. The gene sits there inactive until trauma strikes, then the PTS behaviors activate.

My son has some PTSD from what happened to him during his chemical induced psychosis. His paternal grandfather suffered from PTSD after serving in Korea during the war.

There is nothing to be done about having the gene. Considering where we are at in brain research, at this point the approach to treatment must be to address the trauma and the anxiety associated with it. There was a time when I believed the way to address that was with medication. I don't believe that anymore.

It would be odd if PTSD was the only condition like that.

TerryJ2

I can easily see how someone who has a neurobiological predisposition, and who is raised in a negative environment, would inevitably see the full, and perhaps earlier expression of that congenital condition in response to that negative environment.

I think you cannot escape nature. Nurture can either magnify or mitigate the effects of our nature.

I totally agree, gcv mom. My husband and I have discussed the same issue with-cancer, and why twins who live apart don't always get the same illnesses. Same concept.

witzend

I have only looked at the first few posts on this thread, and it hurts to see how raw all of our nerves are about whether we are responsible for how our kids turned out, particularly our difficult children. Both of my children are difficult children, so I don't really know whether I ever was or could have been a good parent. I really didn't get to parent L very much, but I did my best with both of them.

Two things come to mind after having ruminated on this for a day or two. Firstly, for ourselves and for our children, I think that there is a possibility of a "butterfly effect". Some thing that had nothing to do with any of us that oddly affected our children - or us - when we were in a vulnerable state. Maybe we don't even know what it was, but it was there and not in our (or our parent's) control.

The second thing is that I think no matter how our children turned out, we can only take so much credit, and the rest is them. They really are individuals from the moment they are born, and they will become what they are, not what we want or need them to be. Just as no matter how good or how bad my parents were to me, I am an individual who is responsible for my life choices.

It would be wonderful if I could say "L graduated 3rd in her class at high school, got a full ride scholarship to college and she will be a doctor in the spring", but that's not what I get to say. And if in that situation someone tells me what a wonderful job I did, I can take only so much credit for her success. I would have to point out that she is a good kid with imperfect parents who got where she was because she wanted it and applied herself. I have full faith in my children that in spite of the difficulties they have had - and created for themselves - in life, there is always a chance that they are going to make that right choice and apply themselves to something they want and get it. I mean, how many of us here have gone back to college recently and started a new career path? You all did that on your own. It may have been later in life than many others, but if you believe that it's never too late to change your life for the better, that really shouldn't matter.

By the same token, I have to acknowledge that when my kids stray, that they are good kids (I keep telling myself that!) who made some bad choices and did bad things. But I can't take all the credit for that, either.

I hope this makes sense. I'm not sure which way the wind is blowing on this thread right now, but I did want to add my .02 to what I understood the original question to be. Hopefully I'm not way off track as to where the post has gone since then.

klmno

Well said, Witz. There are many, many things said so well here. I couldn't help but want to add again (sorry).

I hope Suz doesn't mind, but this is from her sig.

"We did the best we could with what we knew...And when we knew more, we did better!" ~ Maya Angelou

My question is- until we know better, if we are doing everything we can/could, and maybe we did contribute, unknowingly, to things getting worse instead of better, does that make us "at fault" or "to blame"?

To me, it is the wording. I don't want to be classified with the same uncaring parent who never made any effort to learn better, I guess. Taking responsibility for the hand I'm dealt is one thing, blaming me for dealing it out is another. (Again- not that I fell attacked by people here- but this is one thing I get defensive and turned off by from others in the "real world".)