Question about giving to the homeless…

lovemysons

So I’ve been thinking a lot about this since my son’s death. It’s about giving to the homeless.

My heart says it doesn’t care if the homeless person buys food or drugs with my $10. I don’t give based on the intentions of others. I give because it’s what I feel I’ve been called to do. And I don’t feel responsible for the outcome when I give.

My husband, on the other hand, will not give money but has and will buy food for the homeless.

How do you feel about giving to the homeless?

LMS

lovemysons

I understand Crayola. It’s just that whenever I see a homeless guy or girl I think to myself they are my son’s brother or sisters.

I really should get involved with a homeless organization near me one of these days.

Nandina

I agree with your husband. Normally I don’t give based on their intentions but with drug addicts I prefer not to give money that they could use to buy more drugs.

LMS, I think it’s a great idea to get involved with a homeless organization. Your experience with your son’s drug addiction could inspire others to change their lives. And you are such a caring and compassionate person. It seems a natural fit and you will get great satisfaction helping others.

Deni D

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
Staff member
Mostly I donate to a homeless shelter in my area these days. In the past I have brought food over to a homeless encampment that was near me, thinking a lot of people don't have transportation or the ability to cook anything, so I'd get what they could use.

As we know there are a lot of people who won't, for their reasons, take advantage of shelters. If I were younger I'd be checking into the possibility of getting involved with an outreach organization. I know though, you have to be able to not be drawn in too much, just gently offer the help that's available.

Copabanana

I don't give to the homeless, even though my son is homeless. I believe that there are societal resources in my state (CA) that people can access if they conform just a little bit to social conventions. And I believe it is good to conform a little bit (at least) to societal conventions. I believe donations from individual to individual keep people in a less than position, I guess I mean dependent, or begging.

I am more apt to think along the lines of Deni, donating to an organization. But I don't do that. What I do is to work in my profession with a substantially reduced fee. I take Medicaid and Medicare although most of my colleagues do not. And for most of my career I either worked for indigent or imprisoned people.

I am not writing this defensively. I feel morally in the clear.

I think all of us here have given so much to our children, in every conceivable way, honestly I don't have it in me anymore to give, apart from what I give in my work, and to my family.

I took this post somewhat far a field. Sorry.

Nomad

Staff member
I too tend to give to shelters and the like. ONe time a woman who works for a place that feeds the homeless put on the neighborhood APP a call for a need for food. I contacted her and she literally came to my house and I literally handed her bags of canned goods and such from my pantry.

Two things that stand out in my mind. Years ago I went to McDonalds quickly after exercising. I needed a little milk for a recipe and bought a small carton of skim milk. A woman came up to me and asked me for help claiming she was sleeping in her car with her children. I handed her literally everything in my hand, which was the milk and the change I had left from the purchase. She then proceeded to scream at me that I was stupid for buying skim milk.

There was a homeless family that was pitching a tent in a shopping center parking lot in my area. People did all they could to help them INcluding offering to take them to the grocery store and they could buy whatever they wanted. This would invoke screaming from them. They wanted cash, but would also accept gift cards to a nearby nice restaurant as a second choice. It was a little weird and very upsetting on a number of levels including the fact that this shopping center was in an interesting location that served neighboring residences but also one close enough that tourists used it too. Tourists would feel terrible seeing a family with children in a tent while they were having a great time and fork out the big bucks. On that same app, people reported seeing tourists handing them $100 bills. Even the director , a minister, of the local homeless shelter came out to see them offering to move their tent to the shelter and help them get off the street (or in this case, parking lot). As a side note, the children were not going to school and the family claimed they homeschooled them. The children were often seen running around the parking lot, sometimes the street, sometimes begging. Eventually, our Gov. made this tent pitching in public places illegal.

Last edited:

Dricent

I'm really sorry for your loss. My cousin's death got me thinking about this too. I give money because it feels right to me, and I don't worry about how it's spent. My partner is like your husband and prefers to buy food instead. Everyone has their own way of helping, and both are important. The intention behind it is what matters.

lovemysons

I agree Dricent…it’s the intention behind the giving that matters. It’s what my heart is made of regardless of where the money goes. Maybe I should pray before giving money next time.

Nomad…my husband has had a homeless person he offered taquitos too actually tell him he doesn’t like taquitos lol
I thought beggars couldn’t be choosers.

And once I offered a ride to a pretty homeless girl and she turned me down. I think she was looking for a man to pick her up. 😟