Struggling to Stay Strong

Shelwith1L

Good Evening Everyone. My son is in rehab for a 3rd time. He's battling the addiction of HEROIN. That word makes me SICK. Wish it wasn't a part of my vocabulary. Oh sure, he has used many other drugs while on a binge. For the first time he sounds as if he wants to seriously get and stay clean, however, as wonderful as that may sound in rehab, there is still the manipulation that lies beneath. My son will be discharged on June 21st and he is technically homeless. He has the option of going to a half way house, but is refusing. He is considering a 3/4 house, but does not have the means to pay for it. I don't think he wants to go to a half way house because there are rules that he will have to abide by. I truly believe this young man needs the structured environment to help with his recovery. He also has to deal with the local police for theft. No sure if his crimes will be considered a felony or a misdemeanor. I am not going to pay for a 3/4 house which means, he will have to find somewhere to stay or go into a half way house. I will not and his grandparents will not take him in. He tried to commit suicide and overdosed in his grandparent's bathroom. That is what got him into rehab. I will be going to see my son tomorrow during visiting hours in rehab with his younger brother. My goal is to remain strong. He needs the next step in the recovery process...a 1/2 way house to help keep him on the path to recovery period. This whole situation has taken the toll on our family. I'm so exhausted this evening. I really need to sign off and get some rest. Thank you for listening.

Triedntrue

I believe you are making the right decision. They will make the decision they make but the consequences are theirs to face. If that decision didnt work out they hopefully learn through it.

Kathy813

Staff member
He has the option of going to a half way house, but is refusing.

That pretty much says it all. He has a choice . . . let him live with the consequences. He still thinks he is in charge and can manipulate others to get what he wants. That is not a sign of someone who wants to be sober.

Stay strong!

~Kathy

Copabanana

Hi shelworth. How old is your son?

I agree with you and the others. It's his choice. But he pays.

Until he sees that he pays one way or another, he will try to manipulate everybody else into accepting responsibility (for everything, fill in the blanks.)

Your job is to make sure that you do not fall
into this. There is no other responsibility you have.

Good job :group-hug::group-hug::likeit:

Last edited:

pasajes4

My 21 year old son is homeless and on drugs. I made the choice to not support his life style by allowing him to live in my house and suck up my life. He has had many chances to live a productive life, but he chose not to. I have not given up hope that he may decide to get his life together. It is his journey. I will make my life one of happiness and love. That is my choice to make.

Your son can choose his own path. You do not have to go down the rabbit hole with him. Peace and love..Pat

Albatross

He has a choice . . . let him live with the consequences. He still thinks he is in charge
I agree with this. It seems when they are ready they stop trying to control things. Maybe he's just not ready yet. Maybe something will "click" by 6/21.

I'm hoping that your visit with your son went well.