Suggestions Please

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
I have never done it, but I would probably try to keep him busy with wholesome activities like a large choice of books and magazines, a notebook for journaling (yes, he may laugh at the idea, but you never know if he will get bored enough to try it), your choice of television stations, and keep him busy with chores if he complaines he is bored. He isnt going to be there to have fun. It is this or jail. Maybe he would even appreciate crossword puzzles.

He is going to have to learn new ways to amuse himself. Drugs and the thrill of getting them needs to replaced by new interests and hobbies. It cant hurt to offer him ideas. Maybe he likes music? Guitar? Giutar lessons? Anything he used to like but dropped for drugs. Other than that, I think cracking the whip on his behavior is good practice for his hopefully joining society in a healthy way

Hope this wasnt useless. I wish you well.
Great ideas SWOT. He brought home home work. That’s a first. One day at a time.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
My son was at our house on house arrest for about 8 months. We didn't lock the Internet, since that's his main form of entertainment. He did help around the house, but that's kind-of his nature. It was actually a nice experience having him sober for so long, and we got in a habit of watching some TV shows together, having dinner, etc. I think it's important to monitor who visits, and we did end up having to prohibit "guests" from coming over. It wouldn't be very difficult for a so-called friend to bring over some drugs. The drug testing is probably a good idea, also. Otherwise, I'd say try to keep a normal atmosphere, and he might participate in the household activities out of boredom if nothing else. Good luck with the placements you're seeking for him. Long-term house arrest is very challenging for everyone involved, and the parents do end up feeling like jailers at times.
Oh I don’t think I could handle 8 months. Yikes. We have an intake interview on the 29th and I hope a bed is available soon after!

Copabanana

prisoners, especially long termers do a lot of crafts. they make jewelry from beads. they draw and paint. they use gum wrappers and plastic bags and candy wrappers to create and to sell. some make greeting cards as their gig. they watch each other and learn.

there are used books to be had cheap: learn to paint. watercolors. acrylics. oil painting. learn pastels. in the usa such can often be had for less than $5 each including posting. i have a bunch. check out: abebooks.com. and you can review the books on amazon.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
LBL

Just caught up; was out of town but always close by and pray (that's what I do) and hope for your son's success and your peace. Stay strong.
:group-hug: