TG Stuffing

Nomad

Staff member
anyone have any tried and true, totally outrageous stuffing recipes for Thanksgiving? I kinda don’t want to actually put it in a Bird. Besides, I might cheat and buy the turkey already cooked from our local health food place. But, I thought I would tackle a homemade stuffing...not “Stove Top.” Anything from the All Recipes sight you’ve used and really really liked? Thanks.

Copabanana

Hi Nomad. I do not have a tried and true recipe. When I make stuffing I do it by feel. I do use dried bread (the Pepperidge farm which are more crumbs and not cubes), lots of garlic, onions, mushrooms, parsley, celery *chopped fine with a little bit of celery leaves also chopped fine, salt, pepper, thyme, a little rosemary, marjoram if you have it, walnuts, chicken broth. I use the giblets sometimes, very finely chopped/shredded. I try to use fresh chicken stock that I make with a bay leaf.

I wish I could be more precise. (I hope I have not forgotten anything, but I think this is it.) My family likes it. I think any recipe you find that has this as it basis will be good. It will not be extraordinary or unusual but it will be tasty. (You want outstanding--sorry. This is just good.)

I cook the onions then add the celery then add the garlic and then the mushrooms. When the vegetables are soft I mix them with the bread crumbs, chopped giblets and broth and the nuts.

Elsi

This is our basic family recipe:

• 36 cups bread cubes (1slice = 2 cups) - cube 2 days ahead and put in loosely closed brown paper bags. Shake periodically over the 2 days. I use a sturdy country white or potato bread and a robust whole wheat.
  • 1.5 cups finely chopped onion
  • 1.5 cups butter
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped celery and celery leaves
  • 3 tsp dry sage OR several sprigs fresh sage, finely chopped (I use fresh, and lots of it)
  • .5 tsp black pepper
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • 3 cups milk OR 1.5 cups each milk and homemade chicken or turkey stock (I use half and half)
  • 6 eggs, beaten
Sauté onion and celery in butter until soft. Stir in seasonings. While this is cooking mix milk/stock and beaten eggs in large bowl. Put bread cubes in very large bowl or pot. Drizzle butter, onion, celery mixture over top and mix thoroughly. Drizzle milk/stock and egg mixture over and toss lightly until just blended. Put in two greased 9 x 13 pans. Bake covered for 30 minutes at 350. If it looks dry halfway through you can pour a little more stock over.

You can add extra stuff if you want - giblets, mushrooms, etc. my family usually makes one pan straight and one pan with oysters to give all the children in the family something to complain about.

If your family isn’t large, halve the recipe. If you are part of my family, double it and bake in large disposable roasting pans, or you will hear about it next year.

This is not anywhere near being on my current eating plan, and I want some so much right now.

Copabanana

If you are part of my family, double it and bake in large disposable roasting pans, or you will hear about it next year.
This is funny Elsi.

Except I have a question about the Wahl's protocol. I want to try it, a modified version which will be to add the 9 cups of vegetables (already I am on paleo without legumes). So the issue is the dairy: I can cut out yogurt but I feel I cannot cut out the half and half I use in my coffee and tea.

My thinking tells me I am better off doing what I can do. I mean. If I am unwilling to stop the half and half, there it is. I am not asking for your permission (smile) but want to know what your thinking is about maybe a quarter a cup of half a half a day on the Wahl's diet.

Elsi

My thinking tells me I am better off doing what I can do. I mean. If I am unwilling to stop the half and half, there it is. I am not asking for your permission (smile) but want to know what your thinking is about maybe a quarter a cup of half a half a day on the Wahl's diet.

I agree it’s better to do what you can rather than worry about being perfect! To me the most critical parts are getting in the good stuff and avoiding sugar. Everything else I think you can tweak individually. And once you focus on getting your nine cups of veggies and fruits in, along with some good proteins, there isn’t really room left over for much cheating! We’ve transitioned to almond milk, and I think I do better on pain management without the dairy proteins. But if it’s not bothering you, I wouldn’t worry about it!

Clearly my stuffing recipe is not on the Wahl’s protocol! :tongue:

Copabanana

We’ve transitioned to almond milk
That is an idea and I read about cashew milk, too. But neither for me are heavy enough to give body to coffee or tea. Every time I buy them the quart goes unused.

We also eat way too much beef. It is our staple meat and steak has been my bulwark in this keto business. I subsist largely on meat and nuts. I am not feeling healthy. And I think I am getting obsessive about this weight loss and it is working against my greater good. I am at war with my body.

Thank you Elsi. I think I will do this in phases. I already eliminated the legumes and the dairy except for the half and half. I am not eating sugar or any grain, starchy vegetable, fruit or refined food.

So first I will add the vegetables.

Then I will focus on better proteins.

Then I will think about the half and half. (But I will buy a quart of Almond milk to work on it.)

Thank you Elsi. That helps a great deal. I have a plan.

Elsi

Consider adding some berries back in for fruit. They count towards your three cups colors, are full of phytonutrients you won’t get from straight veggies, and are lower glycemic index than most fruits.

Lil

I DO use Stove Top. But the dry mix is where any comparison ends. I make it with turkey stock I've made from boiling the giblets, and the diced giblets also. I add celery and onions and diced carrots, etc. and even some additional spices, specifically rosemary and thyme. I've been known to add mushrooms and/or pecan pieces. I get compliments every time, but it's nothing compared to the recipes I see on here!

BusynMember

I wish one person in my family liked stuffing. I love it but Hubby, Princess, Baby, SO, Jumper, Hunter and Sonic think its gross. So I dont bother making any.

Im jealous!!!

CareTooMuch

Cut a loaf of rosemary bread in small squares and let dry for a day or two. Saute chopped onion with lots of butter. Mix bread and cooked onion. Add chicken stock to moisten well. Mix and bake at 350. It's really yummy.

Copabanana

Inspired by Caretoomuch I found this recipe. It sounds like just what you are looking for Nomad.

Rosemary Focaccia Stuffing with Pancetta

• Level: Easy
  • Total: 1 hr 30 min
  • Prep: 45 min
  • Cook: 45 min
  • Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Ingredients
1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish

8 ounces pancetta, diced

1 onion, finely chopped

5 stalks celery, finely chopped

1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)

1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage

1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

4 cups low-sodium chicken or turkey broth

2 large eggs

1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

6 cups 1/2 -inch stale rosemary focaccia cubes (about 10 ounces)

6 cups 1/2 -inch stale ciabatta bread cubes (about 10 ounces)

8 ounces fontina cheese, diced

2 tablespoons fat from the turkey drippings (or butter)

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 1 ounce)

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and butter a 3-quart baking dish. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring, until browned, about 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate.
  2. Melt the remaining 6 tablespoons butter in the skillet, then add the onion, celery, sun-dried tomatoes, sage, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil, then remove from the heat.
  3. Whisk the eggs and parsley in a large bowl. Add the focaccia, ciabatta, pancetta, vegetable-broth mixture and fontina; stir until combined. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Drizzle with the turkey drippings (or dot with butter); sprinkle with the parmesan.
  4. Cover the dish with foil and bake 30 minutes, then uncover and bake until golden, about 30 more minutes.
Cook’s Note
You can assemble this stuffing the day before - keep in the fridge until baking.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Recipes sound amazing!

It's just the three of us this year so I think we'll do a turkey breast. Son definitely wants homemade mashed potatoes and stuffing. We usually opt for the recipe on the bag too!

Some sides and salad and maybe a pie and we're good to go.

Still trying to figure out how to watch the Chicago Bears here in Alabama. Not sure there's a game on turkey day but so far we've had no luck. We have AT&T on the Eastern Shore and they don't have it!! Son thinks he can stream something from online since we have a smart TV but not sure.

Lil

I wish one person in my family liked stuffing. I love it but Hubby, Princess, Baby, SO, Jumper, Hunter and Sonic think its gross. So I dont bother making any.

Im jealous!!!

Make some! I'm the only one in my house that likes sweet potatoes. I have them every Thanksgiving. Granted, I buy two potatoes, put them in my 1 quart crock pot and eat them for 4 days...

But make a small amount of stuffing and enjoy!

BusynMember

If you have Verizon you can watch the game on your phones. If you have cable, you get WGN which used to broadcast the Bears and that is a nationwide channel.

We are currently trying to figure out how we will watch the Packers next year when we head south for the winter.

Copabanana

sweet potatoes
I love sweet potatoes. About 15 years ago I ate whipped mashed sweet potatoes, I imagine they had lots of cream and butter and maybe brown sugar, spices or even vanilla. I have tried to duplicate this without success. They were really creamy, without the potato texture. If anybody has a recipe I would sure love to try it.
how we will watch the Packers next year when we head south for the winter.
SWOT. A few years ago I read about a device that transmits the programming from your home TV to any location where you are, including foreign countries. I would imagine this would work for you. I will try to see if I can help.