kim75062

thanks! ill look those up!

and I haven't tried the boat yet, but hes been working on a wrapping paper tube robot thing on his own the last few days. maybe I can figure out how to incorporate that to a lesson plan.

kim75062

Its been a while.

So far so good with the homeschooling. He complains and tries every excuse to get out of doing anything. but eventually gives in and does it to get it over with so he can have his free time to do whatever it is he does.

I took him off of his abilify, there where still no visible side effects but after being on it for these last few months he started saying "my brain is all clouded up" and "I can't think right". I took that as brain fog which is known to happen. I haven't noticed any withdrawal symptoms and his behavior/attitude is not any better or worse.

I think hes getting better at regulating his emotions, I have purposefully made him angry at least a few times a day so that he can feel that emotion and deal with it in a safe place. I'm happy to say theres no hitting or throwing which was the problem in school.

Also as far as evaluations go, after the new year rolled around my appointment was next month, the place is no longer taking my INS. grrrrr. I cant say I blame them because I have the health INS market place plan and there reimbursement rates are horrible.

But all in all its been a good last few weeks with no major issues :)

kim75062

I should probably start a new thread but it seems easier just to post here as everyone that's read so far knows the situation.

Any suggestions on books for my son to help him deal with his big emotions? I found a few lists online buttheu all seem way to babyish for his level. So far I just pickup how to take the grrrr out of anger from the library today.

pigless in VA

Hi, Kim. I finally read this long saga about your son's first experience with public school. I am sorry that the school failed him so miserably. I think you are an amazing mom!

I had a preschooler years ago who had some serious anger issues. I like a booked called, "When Sophie Gets Angry." You can always go ask the local librarian. I read many books to the preschoolers about emotions in order to better help them understand them.

kim75062

Thank you! I did get him that book from the library but hes reading at at least a 3rd grade level and I don't think he cared to much for it. He kind of acts offended when I try to give him picture books now lol Goosebumps size books are what hes into now. Hes currently reading the magic tree house book series and they seem to be a good level for him whatever level they are.

I just got theres a volcano in my tummy the other day, they had to order it in from another library. I didn't research the book much because it was on the top of all the lists for helping children with anger issues. There's a lot of worksheets and activities in there that I think will be helpful to him.

kim75062

Update: still homeschooling, still a floppy fish on the floor most days when he has to do work . But the anger seems to be getting better and his handwriting is improving slowly. Though he still insists his arm is going to fall off. I also have had 4 additional (family) children here everyday since January some time that I'm helping homeschool. They all range in ages from 6-11 and one has autism. The other kids are definitely a distraction and make it much harder to get him to corporate but he has to learn to function around other kids anyway so I think all the difficulties it is creating will pay off in another way.

pigless in VA

Kim, I'm glad your floppy fish is writing for you. One trick that works for the kids at school is to break the tasks they don't like into short segments. For example: floppy fish write for 10 minutes and then you can do this other thing that you like much better.

Does he like building with Legos? That's good for building the muscles in his fingers. So is playdough. It's great for building up finger muscles. I used to let my kids use it in the kitchen or outside on the picnic table. You can make your own and save money.

Playdough
Add 4 teaspoons of cream of tartar to 2 cups of all-purpose flour. Set aside.
Heat on medium 2 cups of water and 2 Tablespoons of baby oil in a large pot. Dissolve 1 cup of salt into the water. Add food coloring to the water as desired. (A few teaspoons will yield brighter colored dough). Add the flour mixture to the water. Cook on medium, stirring constantly. Playdough is finished when it forms a large ball of dough. Turn it onto a countertop or cutting board and let it cool. When it is cool enough to knead, rub a bit of baby oil onto your hands before kneading. Knead until it is smooth. You can divide it into smaller balls and store in zippered plastic bags labeled with each child's name. As long as it is in a sealed container, it will stay fresh for months.

susiestar

Roll With It
Homemade playdough is great for developing those muscles!! I used to make it with koolaid to give it a scent for the kids - it was super popular and easy to make - no boiling on the stove! You just use hot water from a tea kettle instead. Here is a link to the recipe I used: Play Dough Recipe - Kool-Aid Playdough - The 36th AVENUE

For Easter I used to put small balls into easter eggs in ziplocs. Cheap, easy and fun until you have to do 1000 of them for a friend's church because the person in charge of the Easter Egg Hunt ran off to Vegas with the money for the stuff to put in the eggs for the kids! Yes, that happened about 15 years ago.

Anyway, it sounds like the homeschooling is going pretty normally. I would break his writing up into very small segments, even using a timer to make it a race to write for a very short amount of time. He is very young so I would go maybe five minutes and then stop for something fun and then another five minutes.

With all the kids, I would look into The Out of Sync Child Has Fun by Kranowitz for some activities. Kids learn by play even more than they learn by bookwork, so having them do activities is very educational even if they don't have paperwork to show their parents at the end of the day. Yes, having some writing is important, and should be part of the day, but other things are also important and educational. Just an idea.

I hope you are enjoying teaching the kids!

kim75062

Update: I still have gotten nowhere with formal evaluations or Occupational Therapist (OT). Im beginning to think I spend more time on the phone with doctors offices and the insurance company now then I did when I was a nurse

I did find the city sponsored sports dept. and will be taking him tomorrow to see how he does with football. With his constant sensory seeking behavior a safe place where he can run and crash into people seems like a good idea lol

pigless in VA

You are a great warrior mom, Kim. :warrior: I think Occupational Therapist (OT)'s are scarce. I know the one who works at our school is only around once a month or so. Hang in there.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
OTs are scarce, partially because the job doesn't pay very well, and partially because they don't get a lot of respect from other medical professionals "higher up".

I've never used an Occupational Therapist (OT)'s services for or as a child, but have used an Occupational Therapist (OT) several times as an adult in the "mechanical" sense, and found them to be very helpful. I have a great deal of respect for them, especially after being helped to regain my keyboarding speed after experiencing nerve damage from my neck.

kim75062

The ONLY Occupational Therapist (OT) within 50 miles of us that takes out insurance called yesterday. They finally got the ins to approve 35 visits with a 10% co-pay. I have no idea what the 10% is but it's 90% better then no coverage lol he goes for his first appointment next Monday

kim75062

Football practice lasted 10 minutes until he was convinced he couldn't do it and was going to get hurt etc. completely shut down and gave up

susiestar

Roll With It
He might do better with another sport like soccer. My oldest loved soccer. My youngest hated all of what he calls "sportsball". Meaning any sport where you "pointlessly chase a ball around". For a few years he thought basketball was interesting, but then he learned you had to play it with other people, and other little boys are not so nice to you when you have sensory issues and are not very tall or talented.

One thing I learned from the Occupational Therapist (OT) that we saw is that your son will lead you to the activities that he needs in his sensory diet. He will show you the types of activities he needs. If you get that "Out of Sync Child Has Fun" book that I have suggested, and do the various activities, taking notes as to what he likes and hates, the ones he really likes are what he NEEDS, and what he truly HATES are what he should stay away from. It seems so stupidly common sense, but that is what will help him develop, and will help him stay calm.

One thing that many kids find helpful, esp at your son's age, is a one liter or 1.25 liter bottle washed and dried and filled with rice, small beads, buttons and other small objects. Interesting things that your son might find cool. Found objects, whatever is interesting and can fit inside. Leave enough room for the contents to shift so new things can be revealed and hidden. Seal it tightly and close it with some superglue so it cannot be opened by your son and spilled. Then take it with you to waiting rooms and appointments or places where you might need him to sit and be somewhat still for a little while. he can shake it and find new things in it and old favorites and see what all he can discover. It can be shaken to make a rattling noise if that is comforting to him, but chances are it won't be too noisy. Seeing all the different things in it can be used as story prompts to help you and your son tell stories or write stories to help develop his writing skills too - even if he cannot write well, it helps with his creativity. It might be something he likes.

Given the love for running and crashing into things, he might like a 'crash pad'. You take a twin sheet and fold it in half and sew it up on the long sides. Fill it with old pillows, blankets, anything soft you have, and sew the short side shut. Then he can jump onto it. he can nap on it (if he naps), watch tv on it, whatever. I used out of season bedding and just basted it shut so I could rotate the bedding as needed. It was one of his favorite things, especially for jumping off of the furniture. He was going to jump off of the furniture anyway, this way he was less likely to get hurt. Being the 3rd kid, he wasn't going to get sympathy if he got hurt, so he liked having padding, lol! By the 3rd kid, Moms don't give out a lot of sympathy if the kid is doing something like jumping off of something they should not be jumping off of, Know what I mean?? I think the first kid burns that out of us.

What kinds of things does your son like to do to express his sensory needs?

I am VERY glad you are getting in to see an Occupational Therapist (OT). I totally understand the long drive. It isn't a lot of fun, but I have been there. I hope it is helpful.

kim75062

I'm going to take him again this Tuesday to football. At this time of year all they are doing is mostly exercises. He was fine until it came time to do that bearwalk thing. I think if he gives up again I will to. I just hate for him to not let himself try something that he could enjoy. He's very active but very clumsy and has the figure of an umpa lumpa lol

In the mean time hubby is going to take him out to the archery range and see how a one person sport goes for him.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Archery might go very well for him, provided he has the self discipline not to turn the bow and arrow on another person.

I was involved in archery for many years, starting as a small child, and progressing to the competitive level for many years.

It, if properly taught and approached, is wonderful for self-awareness and focus. It also improves upper body strength and eye-hand coordination.

Other sports that might work for him are cross-country running and some field sports such as high jump, and the "throwiing" sports (javelin, shot put, etc), or jumping sports. (I competed in high jump, for example)

Team sports, especially those requiring contact, or those requiring coordination between team members, can be extremely difficult for differently abled children.

Another sport? Fishing, provided he is able to learn the biology behind it, and is willing to participate in the sport with as little cruelty as possible.

kim75062

We have a pool so he swims often.

As for fishing we've tried but he won't "hurt" the fish by catching them. We have a 250 gallon saltwater reef tank that he's VERY interested in and the fish are his friends lol

AppleCori

Glad you finally got an appointment to the Occupational Therapist (OT)!

I have driven across the DFW metroplex many times, so I feel you pain. It is so congested!

I have lived in Denton, Trophy Club, Farmersville, Irving, McKinney, and several other places in that area.

I can't believe how quickly it grows.

I second the swim team idea, though not sure what the minimum age is to join the team. Since he already likes to swim, he might make a smoother transition.

I'm glad you are giving the football team another try. He may decide he likes it better. The first time is difficult for many kids.

Glad things are going more smoothly with schooling.

Are you going to attempt to send him back to public school next year?