mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
None of you may like this...but team sports under the age of 9 are really touch a d go. I would do more try it and see with many things. Football is rough, and the parents are rougher.

One of mine loved archery, did soccer for awhile but landed in Band where he is most happy. All my children are not competitive....one true football and said he truly thought he would get hurt.

Try lots of experiences...there is no failure in trying and seeing how goes.

BusynMember

On the swim team, although you are on a team, you are really just trying to beat your own time. It worked for my kids. So did soccer at a young age. They didnt keep score.

kim75062

Glad you finally got an appointment to the Occupational Therapist (Occupational Therapist (OT))!

I have driven across the DFW metroplex many times, so I feel you pain. It is so congested!

I have lived in Denton, Trophy Club, Farmersville, Irving, McKinney, and several other places in that area.

I can't believe how quickly it grows.

I second the swim team idea, though not sure what the minimum age is to join the team. Since he already likes to swim, he might make a smoother transition.

I'm glad you are giving the football team another try. He may decide he likes it better. The first time is difficult for many kids.

Glad things are going more smoothly with schooling.

Are you going to attempt to send him back to public school next year?

I have thought about it but I'm thinking it might just push us back even more if school doesn't work out again. I'm still very undecided about it all.

kim75062

None of you may like this...but team sports under the age of 9 are really touch a d go. I would do more try it and see with many things. Football is rough, and the parents are rougher.

One of mine loved archery, did soccer for awhile but landed in Band where he is most happy. All my children are not competitive....one true football and said he truly thought he would get hurt.

Try lots of experiences...there is no failure in trying and seeing how goes.

I'm definitely not a sports team mom lol my girls never were interested in sports and neither was I as a kid.

I did notice the snotty attitudes from some of the parents on day one and the looks that if they could talk said didn't you hear him tell a grown up no? And your not punishing him!

I was very happy he just told the coach no and walked over to me angry instead of taking off or attacking someone lol

If football works out for him I'm sure the other moms will have lots to talk about with each other, and maybe realize how well behaved their typical kids are

KTMom91

What about karate? Miss KT started lessons at 7, and continued till about 14. She earned a black belt. It gave her confidence and through earning the belts, she knew she was improving all the time. She started marching band in high school and simply didn't have time to continue in karate.

Funny story - she needed another PE unit to graduate from college, so she signed up for an introductory karate class. Within five minutes, the instructor called her over and said, "You've done this before." She said, "Yeah, I have a black belt." She spent the semester as an unofficial TA, and got an A in the class.

kim75062

football was a complete fail. But he did go to the Occupational Therapist (OT) and loved there sensory gym. They should be calling me back this week to setup the schedule for him to go.

susiestar

Roll With It
If he loved it, go with that. I know the drive is a PITA, but I know parents who drive farther for less useful things. In the long run, sensory therapy will help for the rest of his life. It really will. These problems will be a part of his life forever, so learning to manage them will NOT be a waste of time in any way, shape or form.

kim75062

oh he will definitely be going to the Occupational Therapist (OT), for at least the 35 visits anyway. I'm surprised they got my INS to cover anything. They do individual and small group there so hopefully he gets some interactions with other kids like him.

kim75062

Therapist called back today for scheduling. We decided on 2xs a week starting probably next week.

They will focus mainly on fine hand motor skills and behavior/self control at the same time. She openly states she is not "that" kind of therapist but most kids really listen to her and she's been able to help with the outbursts/meltdowns from frustration and anxiety in other kids.

So at least one good phone call for today

kim75062

I found these pics a while ago, they have helped me remember why he is the way he is and why I fight so hard for him. I rediscovered them going through an old memory card on my phone (refound the links) and figured I'd share them here

72bd07f488b946eca16e34e6f6c892d8.jpg

drseuss3.jpg

I love dr. Seuss! My entire hallway in painted in his quotes ❤️ (and a 3' Waldo I painted on the wall, I don't know why but it seemed like he needed to be there )

kim75062

Day 2 of Occupational Therapist (OT) and things are going great. He seems to really like the therapist and listens to her well.

kim75062

Update: difficult child is still going to Occupational Therapist (OT) and making improvements with handwriting. His emotional outbursts have decreased in frequency but are more dramatic? When they happen.

It Could be because it summer and he's not having to do to much of what he doesn't want to do. And the intensity could be because he REALLY hates the things I ask him to do that set him off. Like pick up after himself or go to bed before midnight lol

Being 6 is hard sometimes :)

He really likes his Occupational Therapist (OT) and she thinks maybe trying him in school again in the fall will work out. She has also only seen his good side because he doesn't go there to "work" he goes there to "play". I'm sure a tantrum will happen soon enough and she may rethink that position.

seek

Didn't read all of the responses, but first question was "Why did you start him in pre-school" if he wasn't ready/hated it?

If you have homeschooled him with no problems, that seems to be the solution.

If you're a nurse, maybe you can do contract work (Visiting Nurses, or something like that) . . . for a few hours at a time and hire a babysitter to come into your home while you are working?

How does he get along with siblings?

Does he have friends in the neighborhood?

What does he say about his behavior? (Have you asked him why he acts out at school?)

What does your husband think?

kim75062

Didn't read all of the responses, but first question was "Why did you start him in pre-school" if he wasn't ready/hated it?

If you have homeschooled him with no problems, that seems to be the solution.

If you're a nurse, maybe you can do contract work (Visiting Nurses, or something like that) . . . for a few hours at a time and hire a babysitter to come into your home while you are working?

How does he get along with siblings?

Does he have friends in the neighborhood?

What does he say about his behavior? (Have you asked him why he acts out at school?)

What does your husband think?

Most of the answers are in the pages of the thread. But there's a ton of responses here to go through.

I started him in preK because he was 4 lol at 4 years old he could read, count to 100, add and subtract numbers under 20 etc. he was more then academically ready for preK. As for the behavior issues, how would I know in advance he would have problems in school before he actually went to have the problems.

Homeschooling is the current short term solution.

Babysitters are expensive, daycares are not really meant for kids his age. If he has such big problems listening to a teacher I'm not comfortable leaving him with a stranger. We are not from this area and do not have any friends I would trust him with.

No he has no friends, it's sad but it is what it is. Kids his age are not like him and he hasn't found anyone he clicks with yet.

I've asked him many times about his behavior, the answer is usually "I don't know" or someone was being mean to him. He considers it being when they stop him from running away.....

As for the hubby, he's just as lost in all of this as I am most of the time. He buries himself in work to provide the financial support we need as a family.

susiestar

Roll With It
In so many ways you are raising my son. You have more info than I did when my oldest was your son's age, and my oldest was more advanced, but they are so similar. I still remember the day I called my son's school to say he was staying home because he was up all night teaching himself division. He was in first grade. It was the start of October. The principal called me and accused me of lying. It got ugly.

They couldn't teach him because he was smarter than they were, they couldn't figure out what to do to keep him engaged because he was booooored ("try not being boring" was NOT considered a helpful suggestion when I mentioned it after several long meetings where they kept shooting down every constructive suggestion I gave them.), and then I learned how hard they would fight an IEP and I was DONE.

We homeschooled because they were determined to make him miserable and I was able to at least keep him engaged. I couldn't do worse than they were doing.

kim75062

I actually gave my son the star test (end of year state test) for 3rd grade just to see how he'd do. This was at the end of what should of been his 1st grade year. I was pretty surprised he passed it with a really good score lol

That's also my thought process, the school wasn't helping at all and only making things worse. I can't screw him up to much keeping him home.

susiestar

Roll With It
Doing Great!!! It surprised me that to get done what it took the school a full day to do, took me about 2 hours. That included the whining and dawdling. And Wiz' attempts not to do his schoolwork!

kim75062

Doing Great!!! It surprised me that to get done what it took the school a full day to do, took me about 2 hours. That included the whining and dawdling. And Wiz' attempts not to do his schoolwork!

Thanks!

I'm worried a full school day is going to be a problem. He's gonna be looking to be done in 2 hrs and still have 6 hours to go.