What we do to accept there is nothing we can do

Copabanana

Swot. Jackson is a real survivor. Imagine being on the street so long, disabled and afraid, and surviving. His is an amazing story. I am happy for all of you.

BusynMember

Thank you. He IS a survivor. He was born with the spinal problem and I get weepy thinking of the other street dogs picking on him ... Dogs do pick on weaker dogs. And then he was brought to a shelter for euthanization...but thats in the past.

He is safe now and starting to trust us a lot. Very different now than when we first got him and he was so scared. He never lifted his tail, he hid under the bed, snapped if we tried to pick him up, didnt bark....now he is almost like a normal dog. He comes to us for petting and licks us and is starting to like sitting on our laps. And he is starting to play with our other dogs.

I am much happier with Jackson in my life. Even though he likes my husband more than me lol.

Elsi

SWOT that brings tears to my eyes. What a wonderful story. You are a special person to take on a dog with these kinds of medical issues. I’m so glad he’s doing better!

Our husky, Lady D, wasn’t born with spinal problems, but had a back injury at 8 when someone’s small child tried to jump on her and ride her. The first surgeon told us to put her down but we found a young surgeon willing to take a chance on her. She turns 16 on Christmas and loves life! She needs diapers inside and wheels for extended walking now but I can’t imagine giving up on her when she was still young. She is so smart! Huskies need tons of stimulation and attention - high energy and high intelligence. She’s very entertaining. Huskies are very expressive - not a lot of barks but a lot of talking. They yodel and howl and try to imitate speech. Lady D talks all the time and uses ‘words’ you can understand if you know her - she sounds like Scooby-Doo! She says R’s name, water, I love you, good morning, I don’t know, and where were you! We have whole conversations. :biggrin:

Copa, I probably wouldn’t recommend a husky for you unless you can handle a hairy Houdini with attitude. But they are fun when properly trained!

I also hate people letting their dogs off leash. Lady D feels very vulnerable in her wheels and freaks out when other dogs come at her.

I truly believe we get much more from our pets than we give. They heal the soul. Perhaps because they are always so perfectly in the moment and entirely themselves, and they teach us to be, too.

Copabanana

Copa, I probably wouldn’t recommend a husky
NO WAY. Husky is M's favorite, the northern breeds. I do not have the personality to handle a fraternal breed. I understand that.

Our boxer Dolly is like Jackson. She is 10 now. We have had her over 9 years. She was run over by a car and abused. She did not bark. She was terrified. But from the first moment I met her in the shelter she tried to smile and bond with me, and wag her little stump tail. She was covered with mange. They would not let me adopt her. They said she was too medically compromised. I pushed and pushed.

She is the most confident of dogs all of these years later. I taught her to bark years ago, and until I read this I did not remember. The real turning point for her was when we adopted Romy, the Yorkie. They are buddies. They dominate the backyard. When Dolly entered into the world of dog-ness with Romeo is when she recovered her true spirit. She was able to reconnect with that genetically given strength and only then let go of the human-world trauma. All of the love we gave her, could not by itself help her recover herself. But Romy did.

I feel there is a parallel to humans here. That maybe as we get old we are able to reconnect with something intrinsic in us that gives us strength, consoles and sustains us. I think our animals help us do this. At least I feel this.

Last edited:

BusynMember

Elsi your story gave ME tears as the rescue in Wisconsin that pulled Jackson to safety was told by the humane society in San Antonio to let go of him and save a healthy dog. But they didnt give up!

I had a lot of wishes in my life that I wanted to do like open a humane homeless shelter for those on the street (especially kids) and a good animal rescue and adopt a lot of kids who would otherwise have never had homes. I couldnt do most that I wanted to do, but we actually did adopt one child who was nearing desperation for a placement, Sonic.

"Will you please adopt this child? We have called everyone else who is available and nobody will even foster him. He is only two and he could end up in residential."

Of course we said yes and the rest is history. He was too wild for anyone to want him as a toddler.. .he is an angel. We have NEVER told Sonic this story. But it brings tears to my eyes whenever I remember. It boggles my mind that nobody else wanted him. But we are so grateful he is ours.

And after the kids grew up we wanted to rescue a dog that may never get a home too. So we did. And we are the lucky ones. For both.

Your angel is a very lucky dog but I know you feel you are too. And all your kids that you loved more than yourself are very very lucky to have you. We on this forum are lucky to have you.

Heck, YOU are an angel :)

Last edited: