There is no Dick Clark but the final count down is on.

BusynMember

They are adults too.

And very few children of any age ever talk to their parents the way our drugged adults talk to us.

I personally think telling drug users how bad they make us feel goes in one ear and out the other.

New Leaf

Is it the drugs? Or is it them. Well, both really. It’s them on drugs, or not on drugs and really jonesing to be.
Whatever, it still hurts. Been at the business end of that whip more than a few times. I don’t know if my two even realize the stuff they have said in a fit of drug hazed rage and hysteria.
Certainly have yet to apologize for any of it.
I suppose the whole idea of not taking it personally is that in their right minds, they wouldn’t be saying or doing the dark things they do.
I don’t think it means not being held accountable. They are choosing.
Its all a part of the FOG.
I’ll never forget a poster “from the other side”, in recovery and explaining how much he had hurt his Aunt and Uncle who kindly took him in. He wrote about coming down from being high and that’s when he had to face the low places he had gone. It propelled him to get high again to escape the extreme guilt.
What a vicious cycle.
I think “not taking it personally” is more for us to be able to shake it off.
Those words can sink in real deep and cut us to the core.
We can’t go around bleeding all over.
Rehashing our lives and reeling those parenting tapes to try to make some sense of it.
It makes no sense.
It is a drug infected brain squirming, lashing out.
It’s a “consider the source” moment.
I feel after all these years of diving head first into the swirly whirly of it, that addiction is a beast that craves chaos and high drama.
It will leave us dazed and confused, unable to eat or sleep, gnashing our teeth and lamenting over what has become of our kids. Unable to think because we are so emotionally tied up and dashed upon the rocks of the stormy circumstances drug use causes.
I am sad that my two have chosen as they do and continue to fall prey to drugs. Everything that goes with that. They extricate themselves from the bosom of family.........and their drug friends become their “people”.
I am mad, too.
We become an opportunity to beg and beguile, then, when that doesn’t work, the plundering begins, our homes and hearts. That weapon, the tongue, the menacing look, looming over ones own parent.
What I take personally is the assault addiction and drug use has caused upon my family.
I’m mad about that.
All those stupid hurtful things said and done I would gladly trade memory of for my daughters to become clean and find their light and potential.
For now, in active addiction, those horrendous moments are a reminder to me of what I don’t want to go back to.
Falling in that rabbit hole.
Allowing them to bring that mess into my home.
Unacceptable.

Engaging in arguments and bringing up past and present offenses with drug abusers is a futile waste of time. I found my daughters to be on the defense and ready to throw more venom in my face.
Drugs don’t enhance conscience, they bury it deep.
No sense pulling the tail of an angry cat.
I hope and pray and wait. When I do see them, which is not often, I don’t talk of rehab anymore. They are not ready to listen.
Taking it personally, to me means allowing that addiction talk to worm it’s way inside my head and turn my heart to mush.
I can’t have a mushy heart and brainless broken head.
I refuse to.
Then, addiction has won.
Excuse my venting, it must be the full moon.
:warriorsmiley:
Or, the cold I’m fighting.
Either way.
Wherever the kids are at in this battle, we have all got to work hard at getting smarter, tougher and stand firm against this beast, addiction. It has its claws in our kids, we can’t let it infect us too.
That’s what “not taking it personally” means to me. Please remind me of this if I have a meltdown (or when) over what my two have said or done. They have been known to pull some real zingers on me that poke me in all the wrong places.
It’s been too long, and I need to get on with my life. Not be stagnant with sadness and despair.
Blue is a pretty color, but I don’t want it tie dyed to my soul for however long my two choose as they do.
Love you guys.
(((Hugs)))
Leafy
Ps. Lbl, keep working on yourself and stay strong.
:hangin:
Hang in there!

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Taking it personally, to me means allowing that addiction talk to worm it’s way inside my head and turn my heart to mush.
I refuse to.

Well said Leafy. I have my moment and then I shake it off.

Sam3

So many cruel words from my daughter have chipped away at my heart. The worst that I can think of right now is when she was drunk...but broke out in a rash all over her body, she thought was scabies (turned out to be guttate psoriasis) in summer 2O16 and I took her to a prompt care. When the nurse left the room and we were waiting for the doctor my daughter, laying on the bed, while I sat in the chair across from her, said "someone should have pushed you off a bridge a years ago".

They always say "don't take anything your teens say personally". Give me a break. Don't let them see you cry...this is absurd advice. Maybe they SHOULD see what their words do to us. Parents are human beings... sorry kids. We have baggage left over from our formative years too....just as our parents do or did...and their parents. Wouldn't my daughter think it was odd if I started blaming my mom for all of my inadequacies? Maybe that's what I should do. .just start being a victim...start drinking again and using and complaining that my mom and dad should have not paid for college...for health ins...for whatever...30 years ago.

I am right there with you. I understand that the venomous words may come from their own shame and pain, but that doesn't change the fact that they are venomous.

I never looked at my brother the same way after he "went there" on his many many bingers, and he has been sober now for 20 years! Of course, I'm sure a true and heartfelt "amends" would have helped. But frankly, without it, I can choose to forgive and be happy for him, but I can't alone restore my respect. He would have to own up. I am sympathetic to the fact that even though he is long sober, he is still fragile. But it's not a relationship of equals if it's still about what he needs, and can tolerate. That's more like a parent-child thing

Now my son has now gone there. It helps to know that's "what they do" and that it's not personal in that sense. It helps to put up emotional armor. But you just can't unring that bell. It remains to be seen whether he will have the strength one day to try. I would have enormous respect for that.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
I feel after all these years of diving head first into the swirly whirly of it, that addiction is a beast that craves chaos and high drama.
It will leave us dazed and confused, unable to eat or sleep, gnashing our teeth and lamenting over what has become of our kids. Unable to think because we are so emotionally tied up and dashed upon the rocks of the stormy circumstances drug use causes.

Oh how I am feeling this tonight.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Is it the drugs? Or is it them. Well, both really. It’s them on drugs, or not on drugs and really jonesing to be.
Whatever, it still hurts. Been at the business end of that whip more than a few times. I don’t know if my two even realize the stuff they have said in a fit of drug hazed rage and hysteria.
Certainly have yet to apologize for any of it.
I suppose the whole idea of not taking it personally is that in their right minds, they wouldn’t be saying or doing the dark things they do.
I don’t think it means not being held accountable. They are choosing.
Its all a part of the FOG.
I’ll never forget a poster “from the other side”, in recovery and explaining how much he had hurt his Aunt and Uncle who kindly took him in. He wrote about coming down from being high and that’s when he had to face the low places he had gone. It propelled him to get high again to escape the extreme guilt.
What a vicious cycle.
I think “not taking it personally” is more for us to be able to shake it off.
Those words can sink in real deep and cut us to the core.
We can’t go around bleeding all over.
Rehashing our lives and reeling those parenting tapes to try to make some sense of it.
It makes no sense.
It is a drug infected brain squirming, lashing out.
It’s a “consider the source” moment.
I am sad that my two have chosen as they do and continue to fall prey to drugs. Everything that goes with that. They extricate themselves from the bosom of family.........and their drug friends become their “people”.
I am mad, too.
We become an opportunity to beg and beguile, then, when that doesn’t work, the plundering begins, our homes and hearts. That weapon, the tongue, the menacing look, looming over ones own parent.
What I take personally is the assault addiction and drug use has caused upon my family.
I’m mad about that.
All those stupid hurtful things said and done I would gladly trade memory of for my daughters to become clean and find their light and potential.
For now, in active addiction, those horrendous moments are a reminder to me of what I don’t want to go back to.
Falling in that rabbit hole.
Allowing them to bring that mess into my home.
Unacceptable.

Engaging in arguments and bringing up past and present offenses with drug abusers is a futile waste of time. I found my daughters to be on the defense and ready to throw more venom in my face.
Drugs don’t enhance conscience, they bury it deep.
No sense pulling the tail of an angry cat.
I hope and pray and wait. When I do see them, which is not often, I don’t talk of rehab anymore. They are not ready to listen.
I refuse to.
Then, addiction has won.
Excuse my venting, it must be the full moon.
:warriorsmiley:
Or, the cold I’m fighting.
Either way.
Wherever the kids are at in this battle, we have all got to work hard at getting smarter, tougher and stand firm against this beast, addiction. It has its claws in our kids, we can’t let it infect us too.
That’s what “not taking it personally” means to me. Please remind me of this if I have a meltdown (or when) over what my two have said or done. They have been known to pull some real zingers on me that poke me in all the wrong places.
It’s been too long, and I need to get on with my life. Not be stagnant with sadness and despair.
Blue is a pretty color, but I don’t want it tie dyed to my soul for however long my two choose as they do.
Love you guys.
(((Hugs)))
Leafy
Ps. Lbl, keep working on yourself and stay strong.
:hangin:
Hang in there!

Excellent post - would we expect anything less of you? (wink). I do wonder what happened to Darkwing. I hope he did not go down the rabbit hole but he has disappeared.

AppleCori

Hi LBL,

Well, today is the day.

I hope things are going well.

We are thinking of you today, and sending good thoughts your way.

Let us know how it went when you get a chance.

Apple