Feeling Sad---Son is Homeless

Copabanana

That is the word for the day, 'buoyed' or rather...Chinese Crested???
I pick beseeched. I mean, when were you last beseeched by anybody, Feeling?

Did you look at the baby doggies?
I have friends at work that coordinate their clothing to their rings, bracelets, pendants, handbags, and scarves.
Too coordinated, I think. I mean, is it not going a bit too far, with rings, bracelets...If they are your close friends, we will not be catty.

I cannot be too catty, because my wardrobe has been Lanz Flannel Nightgowns (from the second hand store.)

Scarves, yes. Handbags, yes. (I aspire to this.) I have a fantastic scarf collection from second-hand stores, if I may say so myself.

Somebody is going to visit your thread, Feeling, and see how much of a Valley girl I can be.

Copabanana

I love American antiques, Victorian, from 1850's through 1900.
Do you read cozy mysteries, Feeling? There is a series by Victoria Thompson called Gaslight Mysteries. I am up to number 16. They take place in New York City in the Late Victorian period. They calm me.

I like Eastlake, too. But I do not know Renaissance Revival. I will look.

Is not collecting a joy? I do not collect, but I would like to.

I hope you have a good night, Feeling. A Chinese Crested would help.

COPA

Feeling Sad

Yes, in my rooms with raised ceilings. I put a headboard in my son's room who is away at college. My youngest son said no, he did not want a vampire chamber.

I am a valley girl. I grew up in the valley..well...Sherman Oaks....like for reals....

Yes, beseeched...perfect!

I am watching a movie about a woman hiding out from a mob drug pusher. Not a good choice.

Pleasant dreams, Valley Girl.

Copabanana

Actually, I am not a real Valley Girl, just aspiring. My Mom lived in Valley Village for 40 years, but I (almost) always lived in the North.

I love the old Gaslight.

But not for you for the next week or so. It's Love Boat reruns for you.

What about that marvelous movie with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthieu and the woman that married Cary Grant, something Cannon. Late middle age romance on a cruise.

Have a good night, Feeling. I am with you dreaming of a Chinese Crested.

COPA

Copabanana

Most of my shirts are floral...separate category or filed by dominate color?
If most of your shirts are floral, I would separate them by dominant color. In column of color dressing, the shirts would be considered as the dominant color, or even their value.

Like with a pale grey long cardigan, you could wear stone jeggings (they are my new favorite clothing piece, because I just discovered them.) The hue is different. The value is the same. So, that would be your column on the outside. And then as a shirt, use a darker value, a charcoal gray shirt, or a dark brown shirt. And get your color from accessories if you want. I am loving this column of color concept.

I do not think that Conduct Disorders .com has in mind my discussing my fashion sense on their threads. I will stop now.

I am hoping you have a good night, Feeling.

COPA

Scent of Cedar *

Are you trying to tell me to get a secret young lover?

:O)

Maybe I need a young secret lover who is a psychologist

Ha! Good thinking.

:smile:

I will incorporate those criteria into my thinking regarding my secret young lover to be. Who will look like Arnold Schwartzennegger in the movie Predator, and be as brilliant and compassionate as Dr. Ben Carson.

And who will write like Maya Angelou about why the caged bird sings.

We will not mention this thinking to my D H.

Maybe I will sleep with more lights on... I feel dumb being so scared. I have never been this way before. I am realizing that I do not have a lot of control over it. I have been told that I have gone through a very high level of danger for a long time. I wasn't really scared until now. I guess my PTSD is getting better, I hope, because I am not suppressing my fears. I guess I still am though. My mind tries to, but my body won't let me.

When our youngest granddaughter was little, she was staying with us. She had been through some things that were scary, like you have, Feeling. We found a metal Louisville Slugger baseball bat. She slept with it in her bed. It had a good smack to it, but was light enough for her to swing it.

Just in case.

She was just a little girl, but knowing she had something ~ anything ~ that could give her a fighting chance against the things she was afraid of was empowering, for her.

Do you have something like that baseball bat, Feeling? Something you can take right into bed with you?

When we are really scared, especially in the night, it is the fear we need to address, as much as what might really happen. Understanding why this is happening to us, we can take steps to make ourselves as safe as we can, given that we have decided not to run. (Once we start running, where do we stop, right?) So, we will not run, then. We will still be scared, but we will envision ourselves fighting back. That will make all the difference in how we see our own fear. We can sit with it then, until morning comes.

Here is a quote for you, Feeling Sad.

There was a time when you were not a slave. Remember that. You walked alone, full of laughter, you bathed bare-bellied. You say you have lost all recollection of it ~ remember. You know how to avoid meeting a bear on the track. You know the winter fear when you hear the wolves gathering. But you can remain seated for hours in treetops to await morning. You say there are no words to describe this time; you say it does not exist. But remember. Make an effort to remember. Or, failing that...invent.

Monique Wittig
Les Guerilleres

We found a framed picture of a little girl and an angel. We hung it opposite the bed, where she could see it if she woke up in the night, and was afraid to get up and come into our bed. She went through something very like what is happening to you, now. She was beating herself up for not being brave. But just think of that little girl, and all she'd been through, and all she did not understand.

She was eight.

She was not a coward, she was a traumatized little girl.

We taught her a prayer. "I love my mom. I love my dad. I love my grandma and my grandpa. And they love me."

We talked about what we would do, if there was a bad man.

I am so sorry this is happening to you, Feeling.

I would have screamed, too. Then, I would have been afraid to get out of my bed. But with my baseball bat, I could stay in my bed.

I could say The Serenity Prayer, because I have said it so much that just the rhythms of pronouncing it comfort me, now.

I will say a special prayer for you tonight. Maybe, when you wake up and are afraid, you will not feel so alone if you know we are holding you in our thoughts.

As we give ourselves permission to feel, the feelings that come to us are the very ones we went numb to in order to function. So, it's like you are dealing with the very real present moment anxiety regarding your son along with the overwhelming anxiety of the feelings you could not acknowledge at the time they were happening. It's like you are a little girl, fishing in very deep water. The more line you reel in, the more undefinable, and the more frightening, are the shapes of the things attached along the length of the line.

We learned, in the research we have done here on the Family of Origin thread, that present day trauma recalls earlier trauma. In our psyches, everything gets lumped together. When something calls one fear that is real in the present, all those other, long frozen away traumatic events are called up right along with it. We cannot recognize what it is we are afraid of. The fear is intense. Overwhelming.

We cannot reason our ways out of it.

Those are old traumatic events. Maybe, from our childhoods. Things we tried to understand before we had words. I have heard it described as a process of unthawing. As the ice melts, the water begins to run, and the taste of the old fear is in it. The frozen places in our psyches ache, just like our real life muscles ache, when warmth and oxygen begin to course through an arm or a leg we have been sitting on and it has fallen asleep. In time, the flesh is pink and warm and alive, again.

And in our psyches, there too the energy freed in the taste of that water is released, for us to move more beautifully through our waking lives with strength and purpose, and is not locked away from us, anymore.

Our Somewhere Out There gave us the term "emotional flashback" to name those feelings, to put limits and barriers around overwhelming fear or negativity.

Those horrible names we call ourselves because we are not perfect.

Sometimes, just to name the feelings can help us.

"I am in emotional flashback. I will recognize my bravery, in that time when I was so frightened, or so ashamed. I will hold myself now, and I will hold that little girl I was then, or that young woman I was then, in compassion. I choose this. If I were not strong enough, I would not have released these feelings. I am meant to come through this. I have suffered, alone and afraid, long enough. I choose this. I choose to name and have these energies I have locked away for so long for my own, now. This is only the taste of my fear. I accept. I will have all of myself now, as I come through and incorporate these frozen energies into myself."

I am glad you found us, Feeling Sad. We will all get through this more surely, now that we can post about it and know someone is listening, and is holding us in their thoughts.

You have been very brave in your past, Feeling. You would not have numbed those feelings so you could function despite them, if you were not very, very brave. Hold yourself with compassion for your bravery and your courage, and for all you have been through, for the love of your child.

You are not dumb. You are brave.

There are not so many people who can face fear.

You are.

I applaud you.

This is a very hard choice to make, to feel our feelings when the feelings are overwhelming. Regarding your child, Feeling, we have decided, some of us who post here, to face (or at least, to begin a nodding acquaintanceship with) our own fears ~ with the places we are broken, so that we can be stronger, more balanced, for the sakes of our troubled adult kids.

That is a good way to see ourselves and our kids, I think.

We are learning how to stay present to the awfulness, to the deep, unfaceable sadness, of what is.

We are learning boundaries, and we are learning that in protecting ourselves, we can teach those new skills, that new way of seeing, to our kids, too.

We are learning, and it's very hard, to see our adult children as strong and able to choose for themselves and to learn from their choices. It is hard because we have been seeing them as children.

They need us to see them as capable adults, so they can believe that about themselves, too.

So, you are here with us now, and we will all be braver because of it, and somehow, we will learn better ways to help ourselves and our kids face the fearsome shapes that move in the shadows of our subconscious realities.

For those of us who committed to this process not really knowing whether it would help us or harm us, the process is unfolding beautifully. We are stronger, are more comfortable with uncertainty. It has been very hard. It was shocking to each of us, to realize the ways we were beating ourselves up for the pain our children are in.

That was not helpful, that business of beating ourselves up. Not to us, and not to our kids or grands. The terrible things that are happening are unbelievably rotten, mindblowingly frightening things.

How awful for all of us, and for our children, that this is so.

We need all our strength. Those old, fearsome messages and those old imageries of who and how we are cannot help us, now.

So, we are changing.

Step by small step. Little things, little changes in how we see ourselves and our children, that make all the difference in the world.

We are doing it, Feeling. You will, too.

Cedar

Sorry to heap this story on you, I guess I am decluttering my heart and mind as well.

We love hearing one another's stories. That is how we came to be here. To listen, and to witness, and to share our strength so we all will be stronger, together.

The hardest thing is to be alone with it.

That is the hardest thing.

I think I am not column dressing this morning, Copa. I am wearing the softest leopard print pajama pants imaginable, and a black shirt, and my hair is all frizzy.

I look pretty cute.

:hugs:

Feeling Sad

Oh my gosh. I am so blessed to know you guys.

Cedar...true poetry in writing. Just beautiful. I started to read on the bus back from my farm field trip. I had to put on my dark sunglasses. Just beautiful. I didn't want my students to see me cry. Lovely. I was going to write that I was 'thawing' out. It fits perfectly. It feels exactly like that. If I am thawing out...I am getting better, right? Not just rotting? Just joking!

Thank you for saying that I am brave. I feel brave, except for when I wake up screaming...

The good news is last night...nothing happened. No terrors or screaming. It might be due to the fact that I stayed up until 2:00, too afraid to sleep and woke up at 6:00, with 2 doses of Benadryl.

No, Copa, no dreams of Chinese Crested with their tongues sticking out!

I would envision Patrick Swayze or Anthony Andrews as my secret lover, neither having psychological training. I will overlook that minor point. Yes, Patrick was strong...but Anthony has an English accent! I am not fussy, either will do.

Copa, to get around discussing 'column dressing' we could call it Clothing Disorders or Coordinates Disorders. Both fit. So, you want me to lounge around in a used Lanz flannel nightgown and watch Love Boat reruns AND meet a new companion to spend time with??? Now that, is a true feat of bravery!

Cedar, your outfit sounds darling. I like leopard...

I was better last night, not by chance. I knew that I had friends sending me positive thoughts.

Yes, Copa, maybe the idea of cute Chinese doggies helped.

You guys could write a book...who better? Truly beautiful and inspiring words coming from true angst...word of the day??? Angst.

Word of the day yesterday; beseeched.

Word of today: ???

Feeling Sad

Dear Cedar, I forgot the most important part. You truly touched my heart because you are right...my little 11 year old self is and has been scared. I cannot call her dumb. She was all alone and so very brave. Yes, there are terrors still 'thawing out'. Thank you for understanding.

I think that I will buy a bat. Now...with a used Lanz flannel nightgown, watching Love Boat reruns, and brandishing. ..cool word...of the day?...a baseball bat...I will look truly fetching!!!

Come and get me Anthony Andrews!!!

Copabanana

Hi Feeling,

I am so glad you had a better night, but 4 hours of sleep is hardly enough. Word of the day? Fetching or brandishing? You choose.

How did the farm go?

My son called tonight. He started the conversation: Mom, this is why I have not died from liver disease. *And then he was going to tell me that he takes a lot of Omega 3.

I replied, J, I don't want to hear it. I need to go. Goodbye.

He thinks he is correct. Fine. Next time he tries to call I will tell him, fine. If you are so sure that your liver is fine, get your blood checked. Verify it. See if your liver enzymes are normal or elevated.

I really do not want to participate with him in this.

COPA

Feeling Sad

Copa, you handled it perfectly...as always. If he is so confident, why not test it?

I am proud of you not to engage. Do you think that he is merely sticking his head in the sand to not face the truth of do you think that he truly believes it?

Word of the day...hope.

Copabanana

Do you think that he is merely sticking his head in the sand to not face the truth of do you think that he truly believes it?
He is very arrogant. But I think he is truly afraid. I think he may have convinced himself. So I guess I say yes to both. He is afraid to face it and he truly hopes and believes his stupid diet helps him.

What do you think?

Feeling Sad

Is he well-read on the topic? Do you think that reading the liver site would be eye-opening and helpful as a catalyst...or send him off into the deep end? £ You know your son. Also, he does not know about you. How will he feel when he finds out that you declined to tell him?

He needs to stew for a while. The problem is...you are stewing and he just continues on.

You need to heal. There is such a thing as negative reinforcement. He needs your involvement. You need to just hear proactive things from him. Plan your trip. He does not feel badly about being kicked out of the clinic. Probably a fake front. But he needs to be honest and actively engaged to be in any program.

He needs a wake-up call. Not from you...but real life. Reality of his illness. Does he read all of the studies or just skews it with selected readings that support his theory?

New Leaf

Cedar, what an incredibly amazing, heartfelt, intelligent post, awesome information.
I am moved to comment, as your words are so soothing and crystal clear.
As we give ourselves permission to feel, the feelings that come to us are the very ones we went numb to in order to function. So, it's like you are dealing with the very real present moment anxiety regarding your son along with the overwhelming anxiety of the feelings you could not acknowledge at the time they were happening.
YES, permission to feel. Could we feel the intense feelings brought upon us by the dilemma we face with our difficult children and still be able to function in our daily lives? Yes, and NO. Coping, we were coping in the face of the maelstrom, then as things settled down, or our children exited again, those feelings so pushed down and welled up inside- until something had to give, and the whole dam burst, sending us into the chasm of nothingness and everythingness. My sister asked me why I didn't draw or paint anymore. My response to her was along these very same thoughts. In order to create, I need to tap in to deep feelings, and I wouldn't, couldn't. But as an artist, it is essential to my being to create. So, living with the antics of my adult children, the craziness, the drama, I shoved my feelings away so that I could function. I was existing, but I wasn't BEING. I wasn't being me.
like you are a little girl, fishing in very deep water. The more line you reel in, the more undefinable, and the more frightening, are the shapes of the things attached along the length of the line.
Very powerful imagery.
We learned, in the research we have done here on the Family of Origin thread, that present day trauma recalls earlier trauma. In our psyches, everything gets lumped together. When something calls one fear that is real in the present, all those other, long frozen away traumatic events are called up right along with it. We cannot recognize what it is we are afraid of. The fear is intense. Overwhelming.

We cannot reason our ways out of it.

Those are old traumatic events. Maybe, from our childhoods. Things we tried to understand before we had words.
I am wondering if we have not fully processed our traumas and fears, if we are destined, or drawn to repeat them in some form or another until we learn to respond in a manner that protects us, that shows we have learned and have developed a stronger sense of self?

I have heard it described as a process of unthawing. As the ice melts, the water begins to run, and the taste of the old fear is in it. The frozen places in our psyches ache, just like our real life muscles ache, when warmth and oxygen begin to course through an arm or a leg we have been sitting on and it has fallen asleep. In time, the flesh is pink and warm and alive, again.

And in our psyches, there too the energy freed in the taste of that water is released, for us to move more beautifully through our waking lives with strength and purpose, and is not locked away from us, anymore.

Our Somewhere Out There gave us the term "emotional flashback" to name those feelings, to put limits and barriers around overwhelming fear or negativity.

Those horrible names we call ourselves because we are not perfect.

Sometimes, just to name the feelings can help us.

"I am in emotional flashback. I will recognize my bravery, in that time when I was so frightened, or so ashamed. I will hold myself now, and I will hold that little girl I was then, or that young woman I was then, in compassion. I choose this. If I were not strong enough, I would not have released these feelings. I am meant to come through this. I have suffered, alone and afraid, long enough. I choose this. I choose to name and have these energies I have locked away for so long for my own, now. This is only the taste of my fear. I accept. I will have all of myself now, as I come through and incorporate these frozen energies into myself."
This is very powerful. It is positive, it speaks of acceptance of who we are through even the darkest of experiences and shaping that into our becoming. We are constantly growing changing, reaching for a better us. The new and improved me, accepting the old, instead of guilt and degradation, it is a way to look at ourselves in new light. To accept all of ourselves without the inner negative talk that developed out of fears.
I am glad you found us, Feeling Sad. We will all get through this more surely, now that we can post about it and know someone is listening, and is holding us in their thoughts.

You have been very brave in your past, Feeling. You would not have numbed those feelings so you could function despite them, if you were not very, very brave. Hold yourself with compassion for your bravery and your courage, and for all you have been through, for the love of your child.

You are not dumb.

Yes Feeling-BRAVE. I have been telling myself as well- no more negative self talk-there are too many people out there waiting to bash me. Why should I bash myself so? You are brave. I am brave, we are brave.

I applaud you along with Cedar. Bravo Cedar and Copa and all the others who are walking this desolate road.

This is a very hard choice to make, to feel our feelings when the feelings are overwhelming. Regarding your child, Feeling, we have decided, some of us who post here, to face (or at least, to begin a nodding acquaintanceship with) our own fears ~ with the places we are broken, so that we can be stronger, more balanced, for the sakes of our troubled adult kids.

That is a good way to see ourselves and our kids, I think.

We are learning how to stay present to the awfulness, to the deep, unfaceable sadness, of what is.

We are learning boundaries, and we are learning that in protecting ourselves, we can teach those new skills, that new way of seeing, to our kids, too.

We are learning, and it's very hard, to see our adult children as strong and able to choose for themselves and to learn from their choices. It is hard because we have been seeing them as children.

They need us to see them as capable adults, so they can believe that about themselves, too.

***AMEN

So, you are here with us now, and we will all be braver because of it, and somehow, we will learn better ways to help ourselves and our kids face the fearsome shapes that move in the shadows of our subconscious realities.

For those of us who committed to this process not really knowing whether it would help us or harm us, the process is unfolding beautifully. We are stronger, are more comfortable with uncertainty. It has been very hard. It was shocking to each of us, to realize the ways we were beating ourselves up for the pain our children are in.

That was not helpful, that business of beating ourselves up. Not to us, and not to our kids or grands. The terrible things that are happening are unbelievably rotten, mindblowingly frightening things.

How awful for all of us, and for our children, that this is so.

We need all our strength. Those old, fearsome messages and those old imageries of who and how we are cannot help us, now.
I have been thinking as I read the posts between all of us what an amazing thing is happening here. I see relationships built upon sharing of experiences, fears, self doubt, guilt, love, joy, discovery. All anonymously, without human contact, through cyber space. I am truly grateful for the wisdom I have been blessed with through these pages, humbled by the effort to comfort and gently guide one another, salted with unique, engaging personalities, peppered with humor. I am very thankful to be here. It is a safe place.

So, we are changing.

Step by small step. Little things, little changes in how we see ourselves and our children, that make all the difference in the world.

We are doing it, Feeling. You will, too.
I am thankful to have all of your help and guidance and be a part of your journey as well, to take the steps to learn, to change, to grow.

We love hearing one another's stories. That is how we came to be here. To listen, and to witness, and to share our strength so we all will be stronger, together.

The hardest thing is to be alone with it.

That is the hardest thing.
Yes, the loneliness while being surrounded by people, while walking the walk of our daily lives. To be alone with it even though we have significant others, friends, workmates. Then comes the stillness of the night, where feelings can come upon us suddenly, overpoweringly. To be able to spill my heart out on these pages, to share, to be able to try to use the experiences I have had and even my mistakes to try to help others. It has helped me tremendously. Your posts and commentary are priceless. Thank you. Thank you so very, very much.

I think I am not column dressing this morning, Copa. I am wearing the softest leopard print pajama pants imaginable, and a black shirt, and my hair is all frizzy.

I look pretty cute.

:hugs:
:bpotd:

Column dressing sounds interesting.Soft pjs are the best!

I bravely walked into Supercuts on Sunday and chopped off my hair to a spunky pixie cut. It was if all of the past two years of yuckiness and the weight of it fell to the floor in a slow cascade of locks.

I am sassy and ready for the next chapter!
:grouphugg:

Feeling Sad

Okay. New word of the day: Sassy.

I can picture the cascade of tresses falling to the ground. What did Arnold say?...."Sassy!"

Copa, I now envision Chinese Crested doggies by you and cute sassy pixie haircuts on New Leaf by Arnold.

When I am upset...I cut my hair. It is surprising that I still have hair.

New Leaf...very symbolic. A heavy weight lifted from your shoulders. Literal and figurative. I love pixie haircuts! You go, girl!

New Leaf looked 'sassy' wearing her used Lanz flannel nightgown, watching Love Boat reruns with...Arnold Schwarzenegger brandishing a baseball bat and sporting a new pixie cut! Yes....sassy!!!

Thank you, New Leaf.

Cedar is right. We are helping each other get stronger...with both 'salty' personalities and 'peppered' humor, as New Leaf said.

Copabanana

Is he well-read on the topic? Do you think that reading the liver site would be eye-opening and helpful as a catalyst...or send him off into the deep end?
I do not think he would be willing to look at the Liver site. He has this whole thing signed, sealed and delivered. He does not want a challenge to his belief system. He is avoiding his fear.
He does not feel badly about being kicked out of the clinic.
I think he only gave the appearance of involvement with the clinic as a manipulation of me. Not so much to get things but to keep me in the ring.
He needs your involvement.
This is true. The thing is, he wants his rules. I have been progressively disengaging from his rules, over me and my house. He is entitled to have his own rules about himself.

I just do not know how I will do this. How do you watch a child do this? I do not know. There is another mother who has a child with Hepatitis, in his case, Hep C. He too minimizes the risk. The mother sets limits, for herself. If something is hard for her...she tells her son. He respects her limits. About her.

M feels that the only person in the world my son controls, has power over is me. He may not feel any control at all in his life, but if he can feel he controls and dominates me he can feel powerful.

I will not allow him to snow me over something like this.

Cedar's husband takes this stance: If the kids want to talk what he sees as nonsense, he gets off the phone. My son wants me to engage with him in his nonsense. I refuse to anymore.

I need to find a way to have a relationship with my son, that protects me. M thinks I cannot stand not being in contact with him. That it is I who cannot be without my son, as much as he needs me. But can I stand being in constant fear? Or is this something that I have to learn to incorporate. To handle it and accept his choice. But the thing is I do not respect his choice. I think his choice is based on denial and hubris and a sense that he is untouchable. And ignorance.
Does he read all of the studies or just skews it with selected readings that support his theory?
The latter. He believes the damage comes not from the virus but from the inflammation. He believes that if he consumes an anti-inflammation diet and Omega 3's he is protected. End of story.

What a mess. I do not know where this will lead. I do not want to not see him or talk to him, but if he keeps insisting that I buy his version of events, his crazy conspiracies and his avoidance about monitoring, let alone treatment, I do not know how I will do it.
How will he feel when he finds out that you declined to tell him?
I will tell him. But there has not really been the opportunity.

I think we need to concentrate on going forward, M and I. We need to do some work on our house, and then we will be ready to go East. My last medical appointment is November 5th. I hope we are ready to go then.

Thank you, Feeling.

Feeling Sad

Copa, he knows your feelings. You have a right to your opinion and to not have your feelings dragged into the mire. Just act medium. Not mad, but do not engage in his conversations about the topic. Just state clearly that he knows your opinion is different. Tell him that you are very worried about his choices for his health.

Do not stop talking to him, but let him know how hurtful it us to your well-being that he is not seeking traditional treatment. Then change the topic. A soft sell is best. Kind, consistent, nonjudgmental, and quickly stated.

Maybe he will get a benign symptom that will send him running into treatment. Again, you both are hurting.

I had a male friend once...I still do, who would call me about these harrowing health issues and then state he did not go to the hospital or, sometimes, that he checked himself out. I finally told him that I did not want to hear about his poor health unless he chose to get help. He still called, but did not talk about it. Years later, unrelated, he has pancreatic cancer, stage 4. He called and told me that he just found out by tests for something else and did not want to go in to find out more. He did not know why his girlfriend was mad. Really?

Be loving. You both are scared and hurting. Do not go into long discourses about it. Short and sweet and move on. He needs support, but you do not need to be dragged down with his poor choices.

Sassy Chinese Crested doggies. Sleep well, my friends...

Copabanana

Thank you, Feeling. That approach seems exactly right. It is honest and it protects both of us to the extent I am able.

Thank you. Sleep tight, Feeling.

COPA