Now that I kicked my 18 year old daughter out, where do I go from here?

DoneDad

You're in a tough situation. You can't control what she does but you can make yourself crazy trying to. Provide her information on domestic violence shelters and hotlines. Have her install the Aspire app on her phone. Establish boundaries on when and how often you're available. And take care of YOU! Do things you enjoy, spend time with your husband. You guys have worked your whole lives doing for others, now it's your time. You could find a therapist who understands about boundaries and detachment. Of course you want to help your daughter, but the reality is there's only so much you can do. You can give information on resources. You can also model what a healthy relationship and life look like.

You mentioned you find comfort in Scripture. One thing I noticed was Matthew 16:24 "“If anyone would come after me, let him take up his cross and follow me." It doesn't say take up everybody else's cross. You can love and support your daughter, but only she can make the decision to end the sick relationship she's gotten herself into.

Cindy Marie

I agree with you and my husband and I have been doing things together and trying to stay busy as we know it is important for our lives. Based on others responses about her reaching out to a therapist etc.. and knowing that I am limited, I wanted to know of any other possible suggestions how perhaps someone other than myself can reach out to her if at all as we know from her texts she is afraid of him and while I know she has to be willing, I do not think she will come out directly to ask for help because of her fear of him. The several times I have mentioned help, she shuts down and doesn't want to talk about him or the situation. There were 2 situations within the past 2 weeks that she had to go to the doctor and I told her for him to take her as she doesn't live here. One is something she has had 2 other times and is potential life threatening if left untreated( staph on her leg that was the size of a softball) that had just spread overnight and so she said he would not take her and she came to my home the following day she brought it to my attention. So what did I do? Take her to the doctor. Then the other day she a a virus and was up sick. I was told from my other daughter that he actually got mad at her for throwing up and getting some on the carpet. He apparently left the house because of it. She dis not dare tell me but called me around 6:30 the morning after and said she wished someone was there but he left for work. I couldn't get to her quick enough so I had no other number but his and called him to go back to her. After he continued disputing her not feeling well, I advised him I just got off the phone with her and she wanted me to take her to the doctor. What does he do? Picks her up and I met her at the doctor to pay of course and he ended up not returning to work but to take the day off and look like the hero he thinks he is when he didn't care to begin with. Should I have just ignored both of these situations? I know someone has to be willing but if they live in fear, will they?

BusynMember

People get out of abusive relationships from men they are afraid of every day. Nobody can talk her into leaving. She has your support and there are domestic abuse shelters to shield her. Maybe she isn't ready to leave. It isn't like she is alone in this.

Some people stay in abusive relationships for many reasons and many had options for leaving. He sounds like a typical abuser and she is an easy victim. I'm sure you would love to rush over there and rescue her. Would she go home with you? If not, that is on her.

As much as we love our grown kids, we have no authority legally to make them live happier lives. It is all on them.

Maybe abusive man would find your daughter less appealing if you never gave them money. I don't know if you contribute to their household, but if you do, I'd stop.

One thing you can talk to your daughter about is getting a birth control shot, even if you have to sneak and pay for it. This I would do. If she has his baby, she will be tied to this jerk forever. You can't force her to do it, but it would be a generous, loving offer on your part. A child of his would be a pawn and it is very hard to be able to keep a father from his baby. The bar is high and many states are automatically 50/50 unless one can PROVE that father is abusive to baby. Being mean to your daughter doesn't matter... if he isn't caught abusing his kid. Do talk about birth control.
The days of mothers having the most custody with men just paying child support and only seeing his child every other weekend are gone. He may have more money for a good lawyer. Instill in her how bad it would be for her to have his baby then it is her decision. She is old enough to understand, even at eighteen.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Cindy Marie

Thank you. She is on birth control. And goodness No!! I do not contribute to her or his household. He lives with his mother, stepfather and half sisters. I haven't given her a dime since she left here nor do I plan on it and I surely wouldn't give him a penny.

pigless in VA

Cindy Marie,

So as a good friend who put it, I was in an abusive relationship dog's years ago. In my youth, I began dating a guy who I now call the junkman (collected all manner of broken down vehicles). I ended up marrying him. He was basically someone who would just not go away. I know now that behavior is what leads to stalking. I didn't fully understand the concept then.

I married him for two reasons: 1 no one in my family ever said a word about what a complete :censored2:hole he was. 2 he needed to be on my medical insurance. That's it. I knew I didn't love him. I just didn't believe that I could ever do any better.

Here's where you come in. The one thing that you can do for your daughter is to let her know her value and her worth. If she ever divulges negative things about this dude, don't bad mouth him. Just tell her simply that she deserves better treatment. It may take her a long time to recognize that this is not a good choice. It took me years.

Once I realized that I needed to leave, it took even longer to screw up the courage to make the move. I knew he was probably going to try to kill me. I planned for 6 months before I left. When I moved out, I moved everything in only a few hours. It took the junkman 3 days to find me. It took me another 6 months to finish breaking it off with him. He simply would not take "no" for an answer. He thought he owned me. I am still very careful not to allow information about me to leak its way back to him. Even after 20 years of being away, he tried to contact me a few years ago.

Cindy Marie

My daughter stopped by yesterday afternoon unexpectedly after work around 3:30. She said "HI", picked up our little Westie and hugged her, jumped in the shower and grabbed a few clothes and said " and I asked her why she had to leave so quickly..she said to pick him up from work. Apparently she dropped him off at his work and she went to work--another ploy to make certain she comes back to him and can not do anything else after work. She has stopped by like this before-unexpectedly--but from I gather from her actions as she never wants to discuss him or his family whatsoever-and from what my other daughter has told---he does not like when she sees my other daughter or she lies to him as she is not "allowed" to see us without him...as he thinks we will take her away I am sure---and she left with wet hair this time so I wonder where he would think she would have showered??!!

I know some in this forum have mentioned setting time frames to text, talk, etc., so any suggestions on her randomly stopping by? Should I allow or advise her to contact me before doing so? Also, the situations with her needing to go to the doctor--should my door steps be the one she comes to for this since she does not live here? When I told her to have them or him take her on the first occasion---the cellulitis(like a staph) she immediately said "NO." and then she said he would not take her. I asked her why? she had no response. After he did not seem the urgency on her going to the doctor he takes off work and she leaves with him--only leaving me the bill to pay. To only add insult to injury after all she has done, am I only good enough to pay the bill?? Naturally, her health is of the utmost and naturally I would only want to see her well---but should I continue being the one she calls upon for this yet she does not live here and can not visit or have anything to do with us.

BusynMember

Normally I would say no. But since she is so young and with an abuser who she is afraid of, i think you may want to keep the door open. This in my opinion is not personal against you. Its fear of him. He wants to isolate her so he can, in a sense, own her and take away all her avenues of rescue.

Does she know where the nearest domestic abuse shelter is? She needs to know every outlet there is. Then unfortunatrly it is her decision when to leave and where to go. Sometimes it takes a long time.

As much as it hurts you as a mother, you cant force her to feel safe enough to leave. But you can keep your home as an option of escape. However, if she comes back, you certainly need to make sure she obeys your rules. The shelter may be the best option, but she needs to be willing to go.

Last edited:

DoneDad

I think I'd take her to the doctor or ER, but I wouldn't let them stick me with the bill. Don't sign anything saying you'll be financially responsible for her treatment. Let them figure out how to pay for it. They're playing at being adults without the responsibilities that come with it.

Cindy Marie

She wrote me yesterday stating once again that she can not handle the stress and that she does not know how she can pay for this car and if she tells him, he will be angry. Well guess what, they both knew this, he cosigned and I told her it is on him if she can not. Merely 3 paychecks, a little more than $8 per hour-p.t. at the time of purchase --this lovely man that cares about her education so much does not realize that the numbers never added up?? Above all of this, her well being is far greater than credit and this life she is living so if the car is repossessed, then so be it. Then his family recommends them to a fly by night car dealer who just got arrested last year for money laundering and allowing drug trafficking transactions to take place and now he is operating under a different company and who only knows how-he pleaded guilty too but is still in business. This was on the local news!! -to think these folks have her best interest amazes me. I certainly am not taking some accountability away from her but there is no doubt this man is playing on her vulnerability and is manipulating her but she got herself into this mess and until she reaches out for us to help, she will continuing on this destructive path.

BusynMember

You are right. The adult kids who bring us here tend to make puzzling, self defeating and poor choices. It does not help them learn or grow up to bail them out as they reach their 20s and older.

Your daughter is looking for sympathy and money without changing her circumstances or asking for psychiatric help. I can only share what worked for my kids...they faced their own bad choices with no money from us and they both got their lives together financially. One still has a difficult personality, but he has a great job, house, car etc. The other is doing great all around.

I feel as if saving them hurts them, even though it is hard to deny them. I still feel it is the only way they may decide to make serious change. Its no guarantee, but it is motivation. Some people will not change no matter what you do. Should we give them all our money, our health and our very life to see if bailing them out will help? Time and time again? You matter too.

She will survive with bad credit. If she becomes responsible, she can build it up. If she doesnt, her credit would probably have been bad anyway.

I know this is hard. All of us have dealt with difficult adult children and we feel for you. Sending light and love.

Cindy Marie

This week was like old times. My daughter spent most of her days with me. Her 19th birthday is coming up next week and I did get her a few things. She still does not want to speak of him when she is with me and I have not tried to pressure her into talking or discussing this horrible situation. Furthermore, it has been somewhat peaceful not mentioning him for one day and just enjoying ourselves. Nevertheless, it still is so concerning as the situation is far from over and my once beautiful, vibrant, and sweet daughter looks so miserable and depressed and it shows so much on her face. I told her a few times to smile as I miss seeing those dimples. When she does "talk," she does so through text. After her first day seeing me this week, which was Monday, she wrote me at 8:16 P.M. that evening the following:

"I'm just fed up with everything honestly. I'm tired of living two different lives, I feel like I'm not myself and my brain is controlled. I'm too young for all this stress like I can't take it anymore. I miss my family and I'm mad at myself for getting into situations I can't get out of. Like I can't take it anymore and I'm over it. I want to come home to be with my family but I feel trapped inside. I want to take a break from work and I can't, I can't do that. I already owe taxes on the car I can't pay for(he threw the bill at her). I don't want it anymore. I want to be myself again and live my life how I want it without being afraid of worrying about what anyone thinks. I want God in my life and it is so hard to accept when I am living so bad but so fearful of myself and surroundings. I don't ever feel like I can be myself again. And I am sorry I've ruined myself and y'all. I wish I could turn back life but I can't and I just hope I don't get killed over.

Please help me mom as I just want to cry. I want to be in ur arms with no worries of how life should be...I'm not happy, especially with myself. This isn't me."

I did not text back that evening as there was so much going through my mind and so much to say--she asked me if I was saving it for the next day--I responded "yes."

But Tuesday came and not a word was spoken about him.. I wanted to once again see if she would open up in person and talk and she did not so we went about our day shopping and had lunch. When she left this day, she repeatedly wrote how much she misses and loves me and how she just wants to be herself again.

Wednesday came and she worked from 7-2. She wanted me to meet her for her break and have breakfast, so I did. She did stop by our house briefly after work and when I asked her why she had to leave so quickly as she was only here for approximately 20 minutes--she said "you know."
He has made her drop him off to work every morning and pick him up. Actually on Tuesday, I noticed how she did not leave for her daily lunch meeting with him and about 3:30 that day, I did tell her I appreciated and enjoyed her spending the entire day with me(as this was the first time she did not leave for his lunch break) and why did she not leave that day---she said " she did not feel like it." I hope this was the case but he probably had something to do and she did not leave. But that was it- I questioned no further.
She did actually open up during her break and told me that in front of his own mother the day before he said that he did not want her to see her sister because of their disputes and that she sucked up to her parents, namely me. My daughter said his mother told him that you only have one birth mother---he replied that he had "3"--his mother, stepmother, and his friend's mother he apparently considers as a mother..His mother said that my daughter was going to resent him for speaking of her mother as such.

Wednesday evening, she wrote me " I love you more than life and I will get out of this." I should have never treated you like this as you do not deserve it. She then said " I want to be back with you. I miss you mom more than anything. I wish it was not this way and things were back to normal. I want to live in my new house and go back. I miss my family. I do not want to live this life anymore. This is not a joke and looking back in high school I miss it. I want it to be tomorrow already."(She came over Thursday for the entire day again)

Then the words I was hoping to one day hear at 9:26 P.M. " I'll be coming back home in the next week for good." Goodnight mommy I can't wait to see you in the morning. I love you so dang much I mean it. Thanks for always being there.

Cindy Marie

For those that have read my entire thread might remember about the phone situation(his mother activated a new number through her carrier on the phone my husband and I pay for which was still under contract through Verizon) She did know better but these people never thought to ask whose account nor did the new carrier get authorization from my husband to activate and transfer service as Verizon had no records of the new carrier contacting them. I had been on the phone numerous times but out of fear for her, I did not proceed with filing fraud with the other carrier per Verizon- In fact the contract is up in a few days and when I had previously spoken to the domestic violence agency, they did instruct me to make sure she had a phone in our name. Well, I did decide to purchase her a new phone. She apparently explained to him that "our" existing phone(she kept the same phone-) was unethically handled and that she was going to get a new phone. He told her that was a lie and that if she got a new phone, she would have to go back home. Well she has not used the new phone yet out of fear of him. My daughter also texted my other daughter and her friend that he said I was toxic and that I am making her choose between us and him.

She says she has talked to him about this car being unaffordable-after the fact-but he refuses to do anything such as sell it or help with payments as he told her that is what life is all about-"struggling" and that she has an excuse for everything. He also said that was "their" car together and he was not getting rid of it. She asked me why does he say "our" car--I told her because he is controlling her. This is why she has to take him to work and pick him up--not because of saving gas. What did he do before this car came along?? He told her she could get on our insurance since it would be less but she said she informed him that we would never do such as long as he is involved and on the car and drives it. And yes, there were actually several days the week before that he took her car for "gas" and left her at his house without being able to leave. She said his mother told her she needed to tell him not to leave her without transportation. My daughter should not have had to tell him anything as he should have never taken the car as he has his own but we all know why. I told her to leave the keys and when she is ready,let us know to help her out of there.

When she left Thursday, she once again wrote at 5:25 I'm moving back in with you." and repeated it at 5:34, I.m moving back in with you." I still never responded to this as I honestly did not know what to say nor did I believe it. I know in my heart she wants to but I know it isn't going to be that easy. She has been telling my other daughter this too and my other daughter took a screenshot of her message and sent to me. She also took a screenshot that my daughter wrote saying " I just hate seeing mom crying over this, it makes me so upset like she doesn't have much and the only thing she has is us and I am just destroying her."

But at 9:08 that same evening, " I don't I just can't get out of it, like I'll get killed. Help me, I am afraid, I just need your help. That's all mom, I'll get out of it for you, Please tell me how to do this. I don't enjoy this I'm just scared to get out. I love you more than life and will do anything for you. You're my mother, You mean the world to me and I am not just saying this, I mean it. I love you, please text me when you wake up."

I know this was lengthy but this is from this week alone. Again, we know with her age, I am limited as to what I can do. However, this is the most she has opened up to me since she left. Any suggestions as to what the next steps should be if we can get her to say "I'm ready." Because this man is not going away easy and as much as I am trying to live my life, knowing she is in fear and knowing we are not only in fear for our daughter, but for ourselves as he despises us, I want to be as prepared and knowledgeable as I can possibly be. Obviously, I don't know what the next minute brings nor do I know that it will go as planned but I have never been through such in my life.

DoneDad

If she does leave it would probably be best to go to a domestic violence shelter and not your house. It would be harder for him to contact her (and persuade her to return), they'd have counseling and other resources, and it would be safer for you. He'll be begging you for a way to contact her "just to say goodbye" or to return something.

This is actually a very dangerous situation, and it's most dangerous when she decides to leave. She needs to have an escape plan and not let him know beforehand what she's planning. Unfortunately, there's a good chance she'll go back to him too.

ksm

Ok...not been in this situation...but here is my take on it.

It sounds like she comes over often, I would tell her to start taking her personal things out with of his house and leave at yours. Not enough to draw attention, but the things that would be hard to replace.

If she really is afraid, she needs to leave and NOT go back. Then ask for police to go with her to get her things.

Give her the number for domestic violence counsellors.

There is help for her.

Ksm

Cindy Marie

Things have seemed to take a turn for the worst. Not sure they were necessarily improving but her birthday was last Saturday and all in all that day turned out ok. The prior weeks we had spent time shopping together and went to lunch with her and my husband for her birthday. But the spark in her still was not there-it was just another day-she smiled for a couple of pictures but it is as though I am not looking at the same child. She wanted a cookie cake and my husband and I picked it up the day before her birthday. Well she asked if she could leave her gifts-primarily new clothes here- and she would get later. She put them in her closet left in the gift bags. She left before 4 P.M. and apparently after she left, he drove and hour and half to see some friend of his that he was unable to attend his graduation or some function but when he got there, he told my daughter he had never been before and it was sketchy-yet she sat in the car and called me to tell me this--- and she was upset that he wanted to do that on her birthday before she was to meet my other daughter for dinner. Well she kept texting me that she was irritated and she missed me and once again how she hates how she is living. Well I have walked on eggshells and driven myself coo coo about what to say or not to say as either way she says I am sarcastic or I am just disagreeing or ignoring her..so I said a few things like you must like this life and arguing with a crazy man. Well she said NO to all. Then she wrote Happy Mother's Day around 9:01 the next morning and how she would let me know she was on the way. Well it was anything but happy. My other daughter had just arrived around noon. We sat on the back porch talking and laughing and I had just showed her a short letter with pictures I had written about my mother who had passed away July 14, 2015. I did not expect my other daughter quite that early as she was suppose to get off work around 2, so she surprised me when she showed up early. I was just enjoying my morning and took my time getting dressed. I was waiting on my clothes to dry and that was it. About the time we were reading my short letter, my other daughter had opened the garage door--the garage is detached and located behind our house and we were still on the porch-she peaked around the door and then closed it as if she was going back inside the garage the way she came through--well all of a sudden she opened the door again and started walking towards the porch when we looked up that crazy man was in her car waving as he drove by. It took me by surprise-though it should not have-but I knew this meant she was on a time schedule. His father and stepmother are the ones that live approximately 10 minutes from our house but supposedly he does not see them much. Ironically he was going to their house while my daughter spent whatever time they arranged with me. Well that did not go well with me whatsoever...but just before saying anything about that--she walked up on the porch as we were reading...both my other daughter and myself teared up reading about my mother...and my daughter started fussing saying you all are always sad.. I said we are reading what I wrote about my beloved mother for Mother's Day. I then proceeded to ask her why she was dropped off and she immediately asked me why her sister was-well her sister does not have her own car.
She kept yelling for me to get showered and dressed. I was completely showered, ready other than my clothes and again they all knew our original plans were to go to early dinner no sooner than 3:30 or 4 as my oldest daughter was scheduled to work until 2 and then she needed to get showered and dressed and come over...Well she went inside where my husband was and told him she was leaving as we were laughing and not getting dressed for dinner. So within 10 minutes or maybe 15 my oldest daughter and I walked inside and as we did, my other daughter was actually walking out the front door...my oldest daughter asked her "where are you going?" She said I am leaving---well she had called that crazy man and he was already sitting in front of our home...All because of this--actually back to before she arrived--she did keep texting me as to when she needed to leave to come to our home and again she knew approximately when we were going to dinner and besides just come over as soon as you can ---it is Mother's Day---enjoy each minute with your mother--don't ask when to come--so again I knew by her texting something was up otherwise she would have just come over. He had to make sure she came back home with him so he made sure he dropped her off. Well after she left she tried to call my husband and my other daughter . I texted her that it was hurtful of her the way she came into our home acting and that I would return her things because that was the last time I bought anything that had to be hidden. And for those that have read this entire thread--the "NEW PHONE." --this was the straw that broke the camels back. She had this new phone for 2 months--she wanted an early upgrade and we had always paid for her phone--but she kept back talking me at the time we kicked her out and I had temporarily suspended it for the day. In that short time, she went to his carrier and never really knew whose account-but Sprint had activated the same phone with a new number--was not her account or anyone's to do such and Sprint did not reach out to Verizon, our carrier to get proper authorization for this. Well this has gone on an on and I told her she certainly should take accountability as she knew herself this was wrong but do you think those immoral and crazy people care? So she said after I made a decision to upgrade her phone early and she wanted it for an early birthday present, she would tell his mom that she got a new phone and to cancel the number. It was our phone to begin with and Sprint does not have a contract-just monthly-but no one believed her about how unethical this was handled and that was our phone and my husband was the only one who could authorize the change. Verizon had no records or documentation that these people or Sprint contacted them to get authorization so basically this was FRAUD. I had never been so upset. But the kind person I was and because of fear for her dealing with this crazy man, I did not report it. I told her that she needed to as she was responsible just as much. Anyways, domestic violence agency had told me to make sure she has a phone, so that is why I decided to go ahead and get her another one. Sorry for so long winded but after she left with him, she comes back with a vengeance---she walked back into our home and started to grab her stuff-I asked her then was she going to use the new phone-after all 2 months had passed that she hid this phone in her dresser---she screamed as loud as she could-slapped her head and said he would break up with her if she got a new phone from me-----he had previously told her this as well as she would have to leave his house if I gave her a new phone and she took it as she texted me that--but at that time she laughed and said he was ridiculous---------so she slapped her head and threw her existing phone and said that she would be better off dead and she would commit suicide--went running through our home--screaming to give her the new phone, got up in my face screaming as loud as she could and at that point I was not giving it to her---threw the other phone several more times--got up in my face again bowed up as if she was about to hit me and yelled to give her the new phone---my oldest daughter then took the new phone still in the box from me out of fear of her hurting me and went running and grabbed my husbands phone---still during this time my other daughter then fell onto the floor screaming still, her body pushed the love seat and it hit the end table causing the lamp to go crashing and breaking--my older daughter called 911 and continued running outside--my other daughter jumped up from the floor and went running outside-neighbors and all out on Mother's Day. My husband had come from upstairs at the time he saw my daughter on the floor screaming---I have never seen her in rage like this ever in my life...I was a basket case--she had come back by herself the second time--she ran out the front door and sped off and I honestly thought she was going to hit the car that had just pulled up at the stop sign--she continued speeding and my other daughter was still on the phone with 911. One police officer came to our house--in the mean time I had called that crazy man trying to see if my daughter was at his father's house--he heard my daughter say the cops on their way and he told us that cops did not need to be involved---once the cop arrived we talked to him and he continued trying to call my daughter and she did not answer but she had broke her phone I was certain as many times as she threw it...we finally got this crazy man on the phone for the police officer to talk to and without a doubt, we could tell how the conversation was going..the cop had asked where my daughter was--he did not want to tell--thought I was pressing charges for the destruction--the cop said her mother has not said anything about such--he then told the cop I was trying to break them up- the cop said he was not concerned whatsoever about that--the cop continued asking him where she was and then the cop told him he did not need to be told how to do his job and that if he did not tell where he was they would spend all day locating them. This went on for about 10 minutes, so I am certain the cop knew who he was dealing with. The cop told him he had to not only call to speak with my daughter, which finally she got on the phone, but he had to personally see her---this was because she threatened suicide( he did not tell this to that crazy man) The cop left and they were in fact at his father's house ( I gave him the address as I knew he had to of been close by for her to back here so quickly ) and the cop called me back to tell me that my daughter had voluntarily gone with them to the hospital for an evaluation. That was this day. I was in tears. Whatever problems she may have, this crazy man has driven her absolutely insane. So no words the rest of the day.. In fact Monday arrived and about 5 o'clock, my husband, my older daughter, daughter's friend and myself were in the kitchen when my older daughter looked up and asked " what is Gabrielle doing here with a cop?" She did not knock, just walked in, and a sweet lady cop behind her, and said she wanted to get her things and asked us-the cop- to come along...You have to be kidding me?? Well the cop stood with me in the foyer as my daughter got some of her things...she asked me if I had been having problems--I summed it up much briefer than my thread here!!! She said to me "let me go outside and check this guy out." He was out front waiting in the car--I knew he had put her up to this...I was actually glad a cop came--she said he was tough trying to get answers out of but she told me this was awful and that my daughter needed serious therapy and that was just her opinion..and to call the non 911 department about her if and when she comes back home. She asked me his name, where he lived, and my information. We have never ever had violence in our home and this once humble,shy, sweet little girl was someone I never knew..But before the cop walked outside--she talked with me and watched my daughter hug my husband, pick up our little dog and kiss and hug her--and then she said let me walk outside to check him out---in the meantime, I stayed quite until right before my daughter left--I said why would you come into our home in rage and then have a cop to escort you for your belongings.

She said nothing...but when she left, she sent me a picture and said she was feeling down and started telling me how we should not have called the cops on her--she came into our home in a rage and threatening suicide-what family would not have done this?? she said she was extremely upset by everything and we are suppose to be family not enemies.continued saying she missed me and she meant that and it does not have to be this way.She knows I do not like her choices but I should not stop loving her. He has told her to make choices between him and us and that we were toxic. I have never been so heartbroken in my life.She said everyone is against her, she is not happy with herself..then wrote " Do I look happy with myself?" She is hurt by how she lives, her life is confused,and she does not want it that way..she does not know what to do, she is confused and sad all the time, she has no one to talk to-it is hard to go back home knowing we "still hate" her and that she does love me..she does not know who she is anymore and she has turned like she is because she does not know who she is. Then asked if we will let her come back--I said we have told you we would let you come back home. she responded with "really?" I reminded her that he threatened her if we gave her anything or she tried to come home, he would leave her--she said she did not care about that..she just is not herself--she wants us to be there for her and lift her up and support her and not be against her--if she was happy with herself, she would not have anger in her as she does--she is trying to treat me better-she is just trying to get her life right but it is getting worse-she feels so empty and lonely sometimes-she feels like she has lost her family who is suppose to support her and everyone is against her and she has been crying--she sees everyone with their moms and she is constantly stressed-no one cares for her-hopefully before it is too late she needs counseling and someone to talk to. I told her she had to be willing and I would see to it. She then wrote that she loved me more than anything and that I am her best friend.
We have an appointment for counseling this Tuesday at 12:30-she has continued to say she can't wait. She also wrote me on Wednesday and said she wants to come home by the end of the month. I asked her what was specific about then--she simply said I just want to come home.I hope she won't change her mind.

BusynMember

This is a very hard, strange situation. She is like a drug addict hating her life but not really wanting to stop it. Because she can. Being that magic 18 years old, there is nothing you can do in her behalf to protect her. She has to do it. And she can. But wont.

There are no magic words you can say to change things.

Are you sure she is not taking drugs that this man is supplying her with?

Give her all the tools to leave. Then she has to do it. I am so sorry. Its scary.

hannahb

Cindy I am so sorry this is happening. It must be having a terrible impact on you, your husband and other daughter too. I think the advice on this forum is generally to step back, look after yourself and your healthy relationships. Be really firm with your daughter about what you will do and what she is allowed to do - e.g.I wonder if changing the locks and explaining she is not allowed home till she has left this abusive relationship and spent time in a domestic violence sanctuary would be a good step? Making it clear you won't always be there to help? setting boundaries about meeting and phoning? But I'm in a bad situation myself with my daughter and its easier for me to say this that do it myself.

ksm

Have you ever went to a therapist, just for you? Maybe get some professional guidance on dealing with your daughter?

It sounds like she is playing both you and her boyfriend against each other. Maybe it makes her feel more wanted and loved.

I think you should be available for her when she is truly ready to change, until then, maybe you shouldn't even discuss the situation with her any more.

Prepare a statement and stick with it. Read the article on detaching near the top of this forum. Something like, I love and care for you. I know you are smart enough to figure these problems out. If you want to get help, here are a couple phone numbers for people in your situation. I don't feel like I can be in the middle of this as it is hard on me and it hurts our relationship.

Then you got to step back. Don't get drawn in to all of her drama. Don't respond with more drama. It's feeding the fire.

I know it's hard... And I am not a professional, that's why I think a few appts with one may help you set boundaries...

Ksm

Last edited: