I can't do this....

Jabberwockey

Hmmm...do any of them make good choices?

True. Thing is, at that age I made a metric ton of bad choices. So many things I could have done that would have had a positive effect on my life. The difference is that I made bad choices and learned where as our son, along with just about every D C out there, keep making bad decisions over and over again and just can't comprehend why things are going bad for them. Its like they refuse to learn, or at least to acknowledge the lesson.

BusynMember

Jabber, thats the difference. They don't learn and will not tske steps to help themselves. So different from most young people. They are the "Nothing can help me" people and they believe it. Very frustrating.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Yes Jabber that is my son to a "T". Since the age of 15. I just don't get it AT ALL!!

Lil

Well, I think that's that on the apartment. Son just called and said Arby's told him that they will NEVER hire him back, no matter what. :( To say my son is upset is an understatement. He was just about crying when I talked to him.

I hope that he will come to see that this is for the best. The fact is he goes on about how he's tried so hard and that he's the ONLY one who has...J apparently hasn't at all and maybe he'll eventually see that it's best he not get the apartment because he'd be screwed come mid-month and worse when rent came due again and he was the only one working and not able to pay the rent. But for now he feels like his life sucks.

It may be a long night.

Sister's Keeper

I guess that is a lesson on burning bridges. It may not be the best time to point it out, but still....

Surely, Arby's isn't the only fast food place in the area?

Lil

I guess that is a lesson on burning bridges. It may not be the best time to point it out, but still....

Surely, Arby's isn't the only fast food place in the area?

He's put in many places. The biggest problem is that he has now quit three places without notice. One he actually walked out on a break and never went back. Granted, he won't even put it down on his application...but still...

He's very upset. It's end of the world time in his mind. Suggesting that maybe this apartment wasn't meant to be did not go over well. Right now he can see nothing but failure and doom and gloom.

And the counselor he was seeing is in Maui. Lucky her, but that puts him with no one to talk to.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The problem is, especially if you are in smaller town, the owners of the various franchises TALK to each other. There are various meetings and focus groups, etc., that holders of franchises from various companies attend, and there's always time to gossip.

The comment about not working at ANY Arby's is telling. In general, franchisees have total control over hiring and firing. I am not sure whether this owner meant at none of the Arby's he owns, or if he meant that he's' sent notification to Arby's HQ, meaning literally that he's blackballed from working at any Arby's.

Did he quit or was he fired. I seem to recall he just quit showing up.

Lil, this is just a sad story. He's risking eviction if he moves out, which will further screw his credit, and make it impossible to rent an apartment for years. His inability to hold a job is another issue when it comes to that, as lessors like to see current employment lasting a minimum of 6 months.

Darn, I wish I knew what to tell you. The problem is, I agree with what you are telling your son, with the exception of you backpedaling as you have in the past. If he won't listen to you and Jabber, he sure as hell won't listen to me.

Lil

The comment about not working at ANY Arby's is telling

No...they said they wouldn't hire him for any REASON. Not that they wouldn't hire him at any Arby's.

But it hardly matters now. He asked me if I'd contact the landlord and ask for his deposit (well the $100 he paid) back. There's no reason for them to keep it. Place burned down after all and it wasn't his fault, so she should give it. But he's just miserable right now and I'm going to lose my damn job myself if I don't buckle down, which is hard when I'm either talking to him or on here talking to you all! :sigh:

Lil

He says he was told he's "not a good fit for fast food" and should work retail. They didn't mention the quitting without notice. He takes it as an insult...that he wasn't a good worker. I take it that way too. Not as an insult...more as a fact. Hopefully he'll get over it and start looking again tomorrow.

BusynMember

Fast food isnt that easy for everyone. I couldnt do it. You need to think fast, move fast, remember faces, give change...process things quickly. Pot use cant help, nut im sure many potheads do fast food. Still, it isnt for everyone. You dont need education to do it, but you need speed in all areas.

Can he work a cash register? Does he like to help people? I like retail and restaurant work because of the social y factor. You dont have to make friends with the customers, but by being upbeat and friendly and cooing over their kids and grandchildren, you can make them smile. Its a nice feeling.

Hosting at a restaurant could be good too. I love it. Its social, but not brainbusting, and they dont drug test us.

Could he drive a cab (here they may drug test). But this is the ultimate lazy persons job. You sit and drive all day.

Your son needs to stop just looking at fast food. There are other options.

Can he sell? I did that very well, disabilities and all. Bart can sell sand to the Arabs and hes smart, but he never went to college. He makes ALOT of $$$ in sales/marketing. A lot. There is good money if you can sell. Bart is not good n social situations, but in business situations, he is great. Shocked me.

Jabberwockey

Can he work a cash register? Does he like to help people? I like retail and restaurant work because of the social y factor. You dont have to make friends with the customers, but by being upbeat and friendly and cooing over their kids and grandchildren, you can make them smile.

Could he work the register??? Probably. Would he be fast enough?? Not sure. Does he like to help people? Harder to say. Part of his problem with the friends is that he does just about anything for them to keep them "liking him". He refuses to admit that they are just using him. His lack of social skills makes it difficult to make friends so I assume it would affect him working retail or restaurants as well.

Lil

His lack of social skills makes it difficult to make friends so I assume it would affect him working retail or restaurants as well.

Then again, I've seen him be personable and FUNNY...just a laugh a minute. Those times are few and far between...but he CAN be. He'd likely do okay in a slower paced job...shoe store, video store (Hastings, etc.), Dollar store.

If he'll just try.

Copabanana

I hope he does what it takes, but I'm really worried about his friends mooching and not paying, running up the electric and not paying, etc.
Hi Lil and Jabber.

My son a couple of weeks ago mentioned he was thinking of moving in with a friend to an apartment that cost $750 a month in a bad part of town, that 5 people were going to live there--in a two bedroom. I asked how much he would pay and he responded $400 or so. I said, how does that make sense, that you would pay so much.

I mean, like he has paid me between $100 and $200
for either a house, or use of my house, with his own room and bathroom.

He said, well, nobody has any money except me.

I could not help myself and said, I do not want you to be used by anybody. Your responsibility is yourself, nobody else.

I worried. We are not paying him for working, because he would not report it to Social Security and I do not want to participate in anything that would encourage him to misreport or lose his SSI.

But we bought him a very nice gift--an expensive gravity water filter. Because we wanted to show him that his work had value to us, and we did not want to use him, even though he is our family and everything I have will be his, is his, in a manner of speaking.

Part of the reason I am being hard-nosed about the marijuana and drug testing if he goes to live in the forest in the metro area--is because he is going to stay in the forest, homeless. If his plan had legs, had any basis in having been thought out or had a bottom line in dignity and a sense of valuing himself, I would feel somewhat differently.

But it does not. He is somewhat backsliding from going. We will see. But the thing is--these kids do not seem to come up with plans that acknowledge their own needs, nor do they think through as to the costs, emotionally (or any other way) of their half-baked schemes.

I for one do not want to either encourage or facilitate half-baked, loony plans. My son burned his bridges with the friends he had. For years and years he could go to an extremely costly metro area--we are talking about minimum 2500 to 3000 a month rent--and have a place to stay. For a long time this hospitality was free. For a time, he paid $500--only asked to pay his fair share. He did not protect these friendships, and the opportunities that came with them. He laments this now, and misses it.

Oh well. I want him to recognize (or not) that he has similar opportunities with us, and to learn to value and protect them. If he chooses not to, he pays the consequences. I do not. I think he is learning this. Little by little.

Sister's Keeper

He's put in many places. The biggest problem is that he has now quit three places without notice. One he actually walked out on a break and never went back. Granted, he won't even put it down on his application...but still...

He's very upset. It's end of the world time in his mind. Suggesting that maybe this apartment wasn't meant to be did not go over well. Right now he can see nothing but failure and doom and gloom.

And the counselor he was seeing is in Maui. Lucky her, but that puts him with no one to talk to.

I get it. I didn't realize that it was more than one place. Uggh. I don't even know what to say in that case.

savior no more

His biodad killed himself.

I am sorry you had to experience this. My father committed suicide. His mother attempted six times and my sister attempted once. When my son started saying he wished he was dead at around four years of age it wasn't easy to hear. He has made several veiled threats of suicide through the years but never any real plan. I however can't just dismiss it easily as I'm sure you can't either.

Last edited:

FlowerGarden

What about working in a factory? My Difficult Child works the night shift and it has been a good experience for him. He does a lot of sitting around just watching the machines until they are ready to be packaged. It seems a few of the workers have some issues. He feels good that he is making money and we are trying to work with him on budgeting which he realized he has problems with. He knows if he has money he will spend it.

Lil

That would be great if he could pass a drug test. Apparently he can't right now. Hopefully that will change.

Newest issue is his deposit. I know he told me he'd paid, but rent was always in cash and the landlord is checking. If he was behind in rent, there goes his $100 he paid on the deposit and any hope of a good mood for the weekend.